X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

advice please

I am going to have a $1500 credit at insight.com, and one of the things I am considering is a fptv.

My room is approxametely 12 - 14 ft. deep. I could buy a screen out of my money if it was only 100$ - 200$, so basically this money would go towards the projector, and potentially a cable long enough to get display.

Here is my understanding from what I have read. Please confirm, or educate these potential fallacies:

At this price, i would not really get true hdtv quality, and would be better to accept that this projector would be entirely for movies and video games.

I would be required, due to space, to move my tv into my bedroom, and most tv watching would probably be done in the bedroom.

It is in an apt and during the day (since I can not black the room out), I would not really be able to watch it all that well. There is 1 exterior window, which I am considering to get new drapes that would cover the window.

The projector might be somewhat noisy, due to close proximety, even if I put it in "eco" mode.

I have tried to lookup the most popular projectors on insight.com, and it appears that the Z2, and the H30 are not available. If you are able to find them, please let me know. I can also ask the salesman if he has it, but would need a part number.

It appears that the benQ 7200, or 7220 are about the best I could find. They are a little over the budget, but if it would be worth it, I would consider it.

Your advice and information is welcomed!
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

You are pretty much correct in everything you have stated in your post. The 7200 ( now 7205) is 1280 x720 for hdtv material, as is the BenQ 8700. Both the aforementioned are dlp PJs, and are well over $1500. The BenQ! is probably the cheapest. The Z2 , an lcd projector, also is 1280 x 720 and you just may find it at $1500 US somewhere in the USA. A good site to check out to get an idea of PJs make, model , throw distance ( for setup) and msrp is:

The world's largest website focusing on projector related reviews, information, projection calculators, prices, and places to buy projectors

I wouldn't exactly call their reviews the best but it is a pretty good information site.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Sounds like you've done your homework and George has given you a good "thumbnail" rundown of the models you are looking at. You might also want to consider the Infocus DLP models, such as the new 4805, which lists for about $1500 USD (although it is lower resolution than the models you have cited, being DLP it would be less prone to "screen door" than LCD models with the same resolution and it has enhanced Faroudja DCDi ™ video processing,) or others up the line with higher resolution and higher price tags.
      Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
      I wouldn't exactly call their reviews the best but it is a pretty good information site.
      While Projector Central has a lot of technical information and general performance data about the various projector models that are available in the market place (including recently discontinued and just-announced models), the problem with their reviews is that almost everything ends up sounding like "the best". So that site is a good place to begin getting comparative and set-up data, but doesn't replace asking questions of current projector owners (as you are doing here) and seeing actual projectors in action using video material you are familiar with.

When you go for projector demos, it's good to take along your own DVDs unless you are sure the vendor has some of the same ones you've got. It's even better if you have seen the movies in a commercial theater to be able to judge for yourself how well a projector duplicates that experience.

For room darkening light control, Lowe's, Home Depot and Bed, Bath and Beyond carries some very inexpensive "black out" blinds, the "Redi-Shade Room Darkening Window Shade", which can be mounted by themselves or underneath your more decorative drapes or blinds. They are each three feet wide by six feet long and typically cost about $5 each (they are made of very heavy horizontally pleated black paper). I have them over my HT windows and they control the light quite effectively. Although they come with adhesive strips for temporary mounting, they will stay up longer when mounted with finishing nails. (You can easily and unobtrusively fill the holes from such tiny nails when you move out.)

Good luck -

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Burke!

Great feedback!

I used those black out blinds....and I must say they are great indeed!

Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"