X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DUCKY
    • Nov 2005

Wow, the RCD-1072 is good!

After having had a NAD 502 CD player for over 10 years and loving it to bits, I went back to an all Rotel set. I first got the RDV-1060 but after some initial problems I chose to change it for an RCD-1072. The first one I got had a broken transport mechanism. The exchange was painless however and I am now the proud owner of a brand spanking new RCD 1072. Hooked it up to the RSX-1056 and RB-1080. Easy peesy :T

The first hours of listening have gone and I must say, I am impressed. Very clean involving sound, perhaps not quite as neutral as the NAD 502 which I think is a phenominal player for the money. In the lows there is much more weight in the RCD-1072. I put some damping material in the bass pipes of my speakers to tone it down just a bit, since my listening area is not that big.

I hope the RCD-1072 will serve me as well as the old NAD 502 has. If so, I will be a happy camper for the next 10 years (or will I )

Do you guys think that a RC-1090 would bring much improvement in the 2 channel sound, taking into account that I currently use the bypass option on the RSX-1056 and allready use the RB-1080 to drive the speakers?

Cheers,

Lennart
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

Though the 1090 will be an inprovement over the 1056, I don't think it will be huge (I too considered this) - the 1056 sounds pretty good in bypass.

I would do 2 things:

See what is announced at the CES in January - rumor has it Rotel is coming out with a replacement for the now discontinued RC-1090. It is supposed to be a step up from the 1090 sonically.

Otherwise, I would search for a used truley high end 2 ch preamp - Classe, etc. if nothing new interests you.

I too am really happy with my RCD-1072.

Comment

• grit
      • Jan 2005

Chalk up one more for "very happy" with my Rotel RCD-1072

Comment

• chinets
        • Jun 2005

Very Happy with my RCD-1072 ,probably the best CD for its price anywhere in the market and superb sound!!!! A High end player that should be considered equal or if not better than most of the expensive CD players in the market IMO.

Comment

• Orange Peel
          • Nov 2004

I've been thinking of getting one of these, my CD listening hasn't been that great through my Denon DVD 1600, I wonder if it's worth it?
          Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• wca156
            • Jun 2005

Add me to the list of happy RCD-1072 owners. It sounds great with my 803S's.
            Bill

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

The sound quality of the RCD-1072 will blow you away Scott... It's going to be a night and day difference. I only have the Cambridge Audio Azur 640c (slightly less quality than the Rotel 1072) and it's a huge difference over the 1600 when using the DACs of the CA or Rotel.
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Orange Peel
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
                The sound quality of the RCD-1072 will blow you away Scott... It's going to be a night and day difference. I only have the Cambridge Audio Azur 640c (slightly less quality than the Rotel 1072) and it's a huge difference over the 1600 when using the DACs of the CA or Rotel.
                Well I really don't need to hear this
                Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• mr mink
                  • Jan 2006

RCD 1072 - how good? only OK until Minimax

living in Oz it is interesting how much the RCD1072 has been lauded in the US as a mid-fi bargain - whereas in the UK the response has been generally more muted, as they have a better selection of English gear that competes with it at the same price level - Musical Fidelity, Mission etc. In the US people seem to pay silly prices for high end gear, which seems to depend more on price prestige and esoteric "engineering" - so the 1072 is way better value. In Oz I paid A$1100 for my 1072 when I bought it when it had just come out over a year ago - equivalent English CD spinners were way more expensive at $1800-2000, so my sensible buying decision was price based. OK it was an improvement over what I was then using - an earlier Pioneer DVD bought with a view to possible DAC extension. However it did not blow me away as I had hoped. I felt that the CD player was effectively still the weak spot in system (at that time NAD 114 pre, 2 x RB1050 and Castle Avon speakers, vdH cables) - I just thought it was a little harsh/hollow. Then I bought a Minimax valve preamp (probably the best improvement in any hifi component I have ever bought)- and the 1072 was "smoothed out" and I did not have to think about its qualities any more, as the valve sound made such a mellow difference without making it marshmallow. I now fully enjoy CDs again. I also have bought a Pioneer 676 DVD/sacd player (model number 533 in US?) and the sound from that is hardly a disgrace compared to the 1072, 3 times its price.

I have also been impressed by the sound of certain HDCD discs I incidentally have - I especially recommend: Beck- Sea Change, Emmylou Harris, Malian guitarist Djelimady Tounkara-Sigui

Comment

• abqnmusa
                    • Jan 2006

I have two RCD-1072's. One with RB-1080 amp and B&W 802's and the other with RA-1070 integrated and CDM-7NT's. Both sound excellent sound and reliable operation.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"