X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Replacement for RC1090 pre amp

Hi guys, does anyone know if Rotel are going to replace the 1090 preamp?

I have not heard anything about a replacement but surely there is some demand for a newer model ?

I would love to see a high quality stereo preamp from Rotel with Home theatre passthru, such as the units available from bryston and others.

Surely this is the way Rotel have to go ?

If such a unit was made and was reasonably priced I suspect there would be a lot of interest from many Club Rotel members and others.

What do you guys think ?

Pete
  • miket
    • Oct 2004

Agreed. Any new info on Rotel's new Pre out there?

miket

Comment

• Joey_V
      • Jul 2005

Try a tube preamp by Rogue Audio or Cary or Conrad Johnson or BAT or ARC or Hovland or Jadis.

Basically, try a tube preamp with an HT passthrough and see what you think. If you like it, go with a tube pre and keep the SS amp.

I think tube pre + SS amp is the way to go, and I never used to believe in tubes.
      Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
      Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
      System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• NTTY
        • Oct 2006

Pay attention to the output impedance of such preamps and input impedance of the amplifier.
        For instance, the high output impedance of the Hovland is clearly not compatible with the low input impendance of a Rotel amplifier.

NTTY

Comment

• pramod
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by bleeding ears
          I would love to see a high quality stereo preamp from Rotel with Home theatre passthru, such as the units available from bryston and others.

Surely this is the way Rotel have to go ?
          What do you guys think ?

Pete
          Yeah Rotel has to start going that way, as it will be really handy for the people who would want to use tubes for two channel music. without getting in to the fuss of having two set of speaker cables and spending money on high quality AB switches etc.

Comment

• bleeding ears
            • Nov 2004

I had not actually considered a tube pre amp with home theatre pass thru, that is probably a step further than I was thinking.

I guess if it sounds good, why not ?

Can a tube preamp (with pass thru) be done at a reasonable price though ?

Perhaps a Rc 1090 modified to allow home theatre pass thru could be more reasonably priced? , not sure.

This would also allow those on a budget to get a good stereo setup which can later be added to, to complete a home theatre surround setup.

Best of both worlds and hopefully cost effective too !

Ahh just dreaming, it doesnt look like there is anything like this coming from Rotel at the moment, and those other brands mentioned, I would guess they cost more than a current Rotel processor which can do it all reasonably well ?

Pete

Comment

• gianni
              • Nov 2002

I've seen used Modwright 9's going in the $1,500 range.

You can find some of the Sonic Frontiers stuff used in the $600-1,500 range. Both of these are tubed and both have a good reputation.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"