X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robosapien
    • Jul 2005

Rotel & Marantz

Hi,
    I bought a Yamaha RX-V1500 a few weeks ago. I chose Yamaha mainly for the features and reliability but find the sound to be a little harsh. I still have the option of returning it for a Marantz SR-7500/8500 or a Rotel 1056.
    I would tend to lean more towards Marantz for reliability. Has anyone here had a chance to A/B Marantz and Rotel receivers? Does Rotel still have issues with hissing? Your input would be greatly appreciated.
  • Kens1
    • Mar 2005

I beleive the hiss issue has been solved, but it did turn a few people off of Rotel. My second unit has no issues what so ever and I am more than happy with the sound. After owning many mass market recievers I am finally listening to music again. I don't think there is another reciever for the money that can match the sound the 1056 puts out IMHO.
    It won't have all the latest features that others have for set up, etc. but I was happy not to have all that stuff I never used in my other recievers and it was actually part of the buying decision.
    You will have to audition them for yourself though to figure out what best suits your needs.
    Good luck

Comment

• kirkj
      • Jan 2005

I did an A/B of the SR8500 and the RSX-1056 when I was in Seattle once. I couldn't hear much of a difference, but my wife did. She liked the RSX-1056. I actually wanted the SR8500 because it had DVI switching. We ended up getting the RSX-1056.

- Kirk.

Comment

• Robosapien
        • Jul 2005

It will be hard for me to A/B as my dealer only has Rotel in stock. When I mentioned the Marantz he told me to audition it somewhere else and that he would place a special order if I was sure that's what I wanted. I have heard the Rotel and like it very much. Based on sound quality alone I would buy it without hesitation. But since this system is going to be used at least 4 hrs every day for family TV viewing it has to be VERY reliable. I'm quite sure Marantz receivers are reliable. From your experience would Rotel be reliable enough to use for everyday TV?
        I've owned a Honda Accord for five years, with almost 100,000 kms of wear and tear on it - never had any problems. I'm not sure I would have been as lucky with let's say a Saab or a Jaguar or even a BMW.

Comment

• Kens1
          • Mar 2005

I use mine for TV at least 4 hours a week (not days due to kids sleeping) and have found no reliabilty issues. I do however have it playing "something or other" everyday and it has been flawless for almost a year now - but time will tell. However, I have had bad luck with Kenwood (sovereign series) and sony es in the past so not all japanese recievers are bullit proof either. Marantz and Denon do seem to have a very good name from a reliabilty standpoint.

Comment

• rick c
            • Aug 2004

I run everything thru my rsx1056.My family cant watch tv without turning on the receiver.It's used anywhere between 8-10hrs a day on average sometimes more.No problems whatso ever.Great receiver.You wont regret it.

Comment

• shadow
              • Dec 2003

I have had mine for 18 months with no problems. Its been a couple of years since I listened to a Marantz. My memory of it was it was warm and a little rolled off at the top. Nice sound for typical speakers and associated components used with it. I use Martin Logan speakers and the Rotel sounds great with them. Clear with good extension on the treble.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                • Nov 2004

Robosapien, this may be helpful in making a decision.

A bit of time ago I auditioned a Rotel 1055 (5 x 75 watts) against a marantz Sr7300ose (5 x 105 watts claimed) I think.

Both sounded similar until the volume was raised to loud levels,the Rotel held together well, whereas the Marantz got harsh and turned me off buying it.

the Marantz did seem to have a little bit more sparkle or detail in the highs though.

I later purchased a Sr 8200 (at a fantastic price) and thought this has to be good. It retailed in Oz for $3990 and was rated at 6 x 120 watts and was very heavy which made me think it had good power supplies etc.

The Sr8200 sounded bad. Perhaps it was my room somewhat but the addition of a multichannel amp improved things a fair bit.

the Sr8200 is now gone and I have a Rotel processor and sony multichannel amp.
                the Marantz was reliable whilst I had it and it had good features and a $700 remote but just didnt sound good to me.

Hope this helps with your decision, if you can, take them home and listen in your room for at least a few days.

Merry Christmas
                Pete

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

I'll also add that Rotel has a 5 year warranty
                  Jason

Comment

• Robosapien
                    • Jul 2005

I just came back from a quick audition of the Marantz SR-7500 and SR-8500. I had the salesman play a Patricia Barber CD with just two Paradigm bookshelfs(Titans I think). Both sounded quite nice at low/medium volume. At high volume the voice and electric guitar became harsh on the 7500 while the 8500 kept everything nice and smooooooth all the way to the top. Next week I'll return for a more extensive evaluation, then I'll swing by the Rotel dealer to check out the 1056. I'll post my findings and final decision. Like I said before - the only thing that bothers me are the potential reliability issues with Rotel(especially the ''trademark'' hissing)

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"