X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrkiko
    • Nov 2004

Top recievers for N804

Hello Everyone,
    I need some amplification to drive 2x N804, 2x N805 and a HMT2. (no sub at the moment, but may follow).

It's not a budget problem, but if possible i would like to keep all the amplification in a single unit, possible a nicely designed reciever. I would like though to have the best audio i can get, since i will use these speakers 60% for music.
    By your experience, can i do a good job with a good reciever? I know that Marantz is about to release a new line, including the top SR8500, that has some good reviews. But are recievers like that "enough" for the Nautili or i shall go for more (and different) power?

The room is 7x5 m but it's an apartment, so i don't use to go loud.
    Thanks!!!
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

Nice setup, I have exactly the same

To be completely honest, I don't think you can compare any receiver to a decent pre/pro and poweramp.
    Ofcourse the pricedifference is quite big, but if you can afford it I'd say go for separates.
    If you listen to 2ch music a lot, you could also go a different route and get the 8500 for HT purposes and add a stereo integrated amp with a "poweramp direct" mode.
    This means that for HT, the integrated amp functions as a poweramp (no volume control) and powers the front speakers, while your 8500 will power the rest.
    For stereo, you'll have a pure dedicated stereo amp, which still beats any pre/pro I've heard to date.
    The only catch is that not many manufacturers make integrateds like this, and the ones that do make it aren't cheap.
    Classé, Krell, Levinson and Accuphase to name a few.
    So expect to spend about $4000 - $6000 for the integrated alone, and then you still need the 8500 or another receiver.
    You will however get top notch stereo performance, but at a price.
    If you want a pre/pro with that kind of stereo performance, I think we're talking at least $7000-8000 for the pre/pro itself and another $3000 - $5000 for a 5ch poweramp (somewhere in the 150 - 300W per channel range).
    It all depends how far you are willing to go to get to stereo-valhalla

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

MrKiko,

TO help (and so we don't recommend things you can't afford):
      1) What size is your room
      2) How loud do you play
      3) Do you have an indicative buget.

Bottom line is that there are $2000 seteups that will drive your system but not do it justice and after that its extra $ for extra value in sound...

We don't want to recommend things to you that aren't what you need.

Geoff

Comment

• Rags
        • Aug 2003

I am not sure why how loud you play comes into this. After all you need sufficient power the drive the speakers to their potential - the rest is up to you and the volume knob.

Comment

• mrkiko
          • Nov 2004

Details

Hello,
          and thanks for your answers.

Here are some further details:
          - The room size is 7 x 5 m
          - The volume is low to medium level. (-30 -25DB on my current 1000USD reciever, that is a SR7400 by the way)
          - The budget is around 5000 Euro (6000 - 7000 USD)
          - I use the speakers for 30% DVD Concerts, 50% CD and SACD music, and 20% movies.

Kiko

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

MrKiko,

Some options for you:
            Firstly IMO there is NO Reciever that will do those speakers justice - the best of them (like the Rotel RSX-1067 etc) will still be a compromise.
            I strongly recommend a separate processor and amplifier (two boxes). Your HT store can help you install the amplifer totally out of sight if you like - just leaving the processor in show...
            I don't know prices in the European Country you are in but consider:
            • Rotel RSP-1068 or 1098 processor with the RMB-1095 amplifier (Not the 1075) or other amplifiers from Byston, Earthquake etc
            • Arcam AV8 with the Rotel 1095 Amplifier
            • Parasound C2 with matching A51 amp
            • Anthem AVM-30 or (better) D1 with Anthem A5 Amplifer

What brands are stocked by your local dealers...

PS - I'd definitely get a Subwoofer - it will change your HT experience for ever!

Geoff

Comment

• mrkiko
              • Nov 2004

Hi Geoff,
              and thanks for your answers.

Yes, i was about to add a sub these days, but, i just purchased the 2x N805s some days ago so now i have to wait a couple of months. I wanted to add a sub before upgrading the surrounds, but then i read on this forum (and thanx alot for this!!!) that the new N series are about to be released, and, the bad news was that B&W won't build anymore the red - cherry. So i was "forced" to make the immediate purchase, and complete my surrounds first. IMO it's a mistake that they discontinued the "classic Nautilus color".

Or you suggest to get the sub first, and upgrade the amp later?

Unfortunately many of the brands that you mentioned are not "normally" avaliable here in Florence. We have Classe, Krell, Rotel of course, but no Arcam or Parasound. I wanted to go for Classé, but i don't like it. Too much bass, not controlled. There is a brand here (i think French), called YBA. My dealer said is really good. They are quite ugly so probably he is right

Anywasys,
              i already fixed an audition with my spk configuration + the Rotel 1068 and 1075. The problem is that you expressly specified: NOT THE 1075.
              Is there all that difference between 75 and the 79? even at low volume? I can call and change the setup. But the 1095 is soooo big, i will have to keep it hidden somewhere. THis means that i will need 5 good cables to connect the processor to the final? is it ok to have something like 3 meters between them?

Thanks again for your tips, i will sign these configurations and ask my dealer about them. Now that i spent all this money for the speakers i really don't want to compromise on the amplification.

About the sub: Has anyone heard the B&W PV1? I think it has a Bang & Olufsen amp. Is it a good match for the Nautilus?

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

I would recommend to stay away from rotel when it comes to powering your 804's. It would be fine as a pre, but you can get so much more from other amps.
                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• DrBoom
                  • Dec 2003

I can't speak for the other amps in the Rotel range, but to me the 1075 is NOT an option for 804's or anything above.
                  It's marginally OK for 805's, but you could improve on those as well.
                  I'm not saying you won't like the 1075, chances are you will like it if you haven't heard any other amps yet.
                  So you'll want to definately compare it to anything else, and if budget allows it I'd spend a little more than €1500 (which is what the 1075 costs here) on a 5-ch amp that has to power €3500 speakers.
                  That's not a very good balance if you understand me
                  You don't buy a ferrari and then skimp on the tires.

I wanted to go for Classé, but i don't like it. Too much bass, not controlled.
                  Too much bass and not controlled aren't words I would associate with Classé but opinions vary.
                  If you thought the Classé was uncontrolled, you're in for a treat. :roll:
                  Which Classé are you speaking of by the way ?

Comment

• mrkiko
                    • Nov 2004

Well,
                    you guys are a great help here, just saved me 2500 €, that is the price of the 1079...

I read also on another forum that the 1079 has some noise, i would hate that.

And since my budget is 5k, i have to spend all of them, and even more, because i don't want to feel the need of an upgrade after 3 months.

I'll go to listen to the Rotels, because time has come to listen and not only to read. But i'll try to get something better. I just wonder .... why at the beginning my dealer sold me this Marantz reciever with the Nautilus ??? ()

I have to give another try to the Classé. I read really good reviews about B&W and Classe, and I admit that i heard it only for a few minutes, and probably I was influcenced by my dealer's opinion, that seems not to be a Classe fan.

Comment

• DrBoom
                      • Dec 2003

and even more
                      You can be sure of that if you're going for a full Classé Delta setup.
                      Cheapest pre/pro (ssp300) is €5000 and they only have 1 5-ch poweramp (CA5200) which is around €10000.
                      It's great gear, but the poweramps are damn expensive.
                      I'm going to check out the SSP300 as well when it becomes available, I'm hoping to find a pre/pro which can double as a high-end stereo pre-amp as well.
                      Unless you can find a good deal on the "old" Classé series, like the SSP30 or SSP60 and a CAV180.
                      That would still be a sweet setup, which costs about half of what the new series costs.

Comment

• mrkiko
                        • Nov 2004

Hello,
                        and thanx to all of you for the answers. I think i decided regarding the amp for the Nautilus: I choose the Rotel way, so i will move this thread to the Rotel Club.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"