Thinking of B&W speakers and Marantz SR8500 vs Pioneer VSX-AX2AV-S. Your thoughts pls

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zokimi
    • Dec 2005

Thinking of B&W speakers and Marantz SR8500 vs Pioneer VSX-AX2AV-S. Your thoughts pls

Please help me with this one:
    I am thinking of home theatre speakers, maybe 602, DM600, and LCR600, with eather marantz or pioneer above.
    Just a quick one to help you, help me:
    I DO like HIGH TONES only, sharp, crisp, very high end tones.....not much of a bass lover.
    Also, 9 ut of 10 will be dvd movies with lot of effects and music. So I am not sure if I am thinking in right direction : Are those models too much for what I prefer, and SR8500/7500 vs. VSX-AX2AV-S ????
    Please help me !!!
    Last edited by zokimi; 28 December 2005, 18:13 Wednesday.
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Hi Zokimi,

Welcome to the club. I have a Marantz SR-6400 that I know use as a pre-amp now. I used to have a set of my Marantz SR-6400 (100x5) powering a pair of DM601 S3 for the fronts, a pair of DM600 S3 in the back, and a LCR60 S3 in the center. I really loved that combination when I had it. The Marantz really made the 600s shine. Movies were the best part as the imaging from these little speakers were fantastic. Bass was surprisingly deep and tight for the little speakers. Highs are what B&Ws are known know. Silky smooth, crisp. Lots of hiss is another different story. The only time I hear hiss is from my old recordings. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but to me a lot of hiss is excessive noise in the background, or the treble tuned up way too high. The opposite of a clean signal. B&Ws tend to send a very clean signal. But since you said most of the usage will be with movies, then I think I may understand what you're looking for. I would recommend the 600 + Marantz combination. I was very pleased with it, especially for movies, and I think you will be too. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• zokimi
      • Dec 2005

Thank you Juan.
      Sorry for the "lots of hiss"... its my English. I meant in a positive way, crisp sharp, very HIGH tones, not noise.....
      If you dont mind I have to ask you this:
      1. do you think than that 602, 600 and LCR600 are too much for what I need
      2. is SR8500 too much
      3. SR 8500/7500 vs. Pioneer VSX-AX2AV-S ??
      Thanks again!!
      Zoki
      Last edited by zokimi; 28 December 2005, 19:41 Wednesday.

Comment

• bsodmike
        • Dec 2005

Hey there,

Right now my setup consists of a Denon AVR3805, 602s3s for the front, 601s3s as surround and LCR600 for the centre. I think these are simply great but at the end of the day it depends on your budget

Good luck and Happy New Year,

Mike
        Home Theatre: Apple Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7Ghz - Connected to an Apple Cinema HD Display 23-inch widescreen and a LG 42" Plasma TV | Denon AVR-3805 7.1 AV Receiver | Denon DVD-3910 DVD Player (Multi-Region + Denon Link 3rd Edition) | Rotel RB1080 (2x 200W) | Rotel RB1070 (2x130W, true bi-amping for centre) | Bowers & Wilkins LCR600 (center), DM602 S3 with 2x 3m Nordhost Solar Winds (fronts), DM601 S3 (surround), ASW675 (subwoofer) & QED cabling

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"