X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orange Peel
    • Nov 2004

Funky sound when watching movies

I have noticed ever since I got a 5 channel (DVD audio) connection setup from my DVD player (Denon DVD 1600), to the 1098, when I watch DVD's and it's a quieter scene, I can hear just from the rear channels, what sounds like a old vinyl record sound, you know that, tisk, pop, tisk, thing.

Any ideas??
    Scott Goldsmith
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

Hi Scott

Long time now see...how's it all going? Anyway, about your issue. Can you give us more details. I seem to remember you are a 5.1 system? right or wrong. If not, are the channels you are referrring to the surround channels or center back.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Orange Peel
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by DrJRapp
      Hi Scott

Long time now see...how's it all going? Anyway, about your issue. Can you give us more details. I seem to remember you are a 5.1 system? right or wrong. If not, are the channels you are referrring to the surround channels or center back.
      It's been going good, career change is coming up, going into the mortgage lending side of things, extremely excited!!!

I do have a 5.1 setup, Klipsch RF-7 fronts, RC-7 center, RF-5 surrounds. It just seems to come from the surrounds, it's like noise in the sound, I never really noticed it before until I put all those analog cables on the player. Not sure if it's causing noise through the cables, etc. I run a fiber optic cable for my digital output to the 1098. No center back speaker.
      Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

Could be a number of things. Try swapping around cables a bit, repositioning them etc etc. Then perhaps a different brand of cable. Another question...do you have a ceiling fan in the room, and, do your speaker wires run anywere in it's vicinity. I have a ceiling fan that induces noise into my side surrounds when it is running. The EMI is coming thru the speaker cables not the interconnects.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• DelRay
          • Jun 2004

Do these sounds appear when listening to a dvd-a disc through the analog (multi) inputs? Or just when you're watching a dvd movie through the same.

Comment

• Orange Peel
            • Nov 2004

Could be a number of things. Try swapping around cables a bit, repositioning them etc etc. Then perhaps a different brand of cable. Another question...do you have a ceiling fan in the room, and, do your speaker wires run anywere in it's vicinity. I have a ceiling fan that induces noise into my side surrounds when it is running. The EMI is coming thru the speaker cables not the interconnects.
            Ah Jerry, you know how many cables I got back there? :lol: Just tell me the problem so I can fix it :W I do have a ceiling fan in the room, even with it off it still makes the noise, just constant noise/static/annoyance The speaker wires are along the baseboard on the floor. What are you running now, Halo gear?
            Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• Orange Peel
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by DelRay
              Do these sounds appear when listening to a dvd-a disc through the analog (multi) inputs? Or just when you're watching a dvd movie through the same.
              I haven't checked the DVD-audio side, I will listen to one and see, thanks for the suggestion. If it's there still, what do you think, just mess with cabels, etc?
              Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• DrJRapp
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Orange Peel
                What are you running now, Halo gear?
                Halo,..... hell no! Still my RSP 1098 now with Aragon 3005 for FLCFR, surL & R. Surround back thru RB 1080. Shanling CD, Denon 2900 DVD, DeanG Moded RF7&RC7. RS 7 surrounds and RS35 Center back surrounds.
                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Orange Peel
                  • Nov 2004

Halo,..... hell no! Still my RSP 1098 now with Aragon 3005 for FLCFR, surL & R. Surround back thru RB 1080. Shanling CD, Denon 2900 DVD, DeanG Moded RF7&RC7. RS 7 surrounds and RS35 Center back surrounds.
                  Didn't you test out some Halo stuff? I wanted to get some Aragon stuff before the Rotel, do you notice anything better or worse about it? I STILL need to do the Dean mods to my RF's, just don't want to spend the money yet
                  Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

Come on Scott, it can only take you what... 2 seconds to reach behind the DVD player (or 1098 for that matter) and pop off the surround connections and see if the sound is still there.

It could be that since you are making a physically capable ground connection that it's transfering something through the cables...and you might have to disconnect all the analog before it goes away. If so, then you know the problem. The cables could be the problem, but I think it's more the physical connection (especially since the optical connection won't carry a current through it).
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• Orange Peel
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
                      Come on Scott, it can only take you what... 2 seconds to reach behind the DVD player (or 1098 for that matter) and pop off the surround connections and see if the sound is still there.

It could be that since you are making a physically capable ground connection that it's transfering something through the cables...and you might have to disconnect all the analog before it goes away. If so, then you know the problem. The cables could be the problem, but I think it's more the physical connection (especially since the optical connection won't carry a current through it).
                      I have disconnected the 5 analog cables from the 1098, and it was still there. Not sure if the player is just getting old and starting to transmit more noise. :M I know that it can be annoying when quiet, and I would like it do go away

I'm using a good cable for everything, can't say who, but they are good. I wish I had a new TV or projector so I can upgrade my DVD player, I wouldn't mind an upconverting player, but when my TV doesn't except HDMI or DVI, it's just not worth it to me.

Oh yeah, what the hell happened to your car!!!?
                      Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

Is it possible the 1095 amp is giving it off, if you would disconnect the interconnects from that?! Just have the amp going to all the speakers... that should "stop" the sound from the rears...if it doesn't then the noise is generating from the 1095.

If not, sounds like the 1098 is generating the noise from another source that you have hooked up... It might take some time playing around and disconnecting stuff slowly until you find the actual root cause, then we could work on a good solution for you.

How's the car been treating you?!!? Good I hope, mine's back in the garage repaired from the Semi nailing the passenger's side...just need it to start getting warm (since I don't live in AZ)...so I can clean it up, Zaino and get ready for more mods!!! :B
                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                        -Dan

Comment

• Orange Peel
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
                          Is it possible the 1095 amp is giving it off, if you would disconnect the interconnects from that?! Just have the amp going to all the speakers... that should "stop" the sound from the rears...if it doesn't then the noise is generating from the 1095.

If not, sounds like the 1098 is generating the noise from another source that you have hooked up... It might take some time playing around and disconnecting stuff slowly until you find the actual root cause, then we could work on a good solution for you.

How's the car been treating you?!!? Good I hope, mine's back in the garage repaired from the Semi nailing the passenger's side...just need it to start getting warm (since I don't live in AZ)...so I can clean it up, Zaino and get ready for more mods!!! :B
                          It could be the 1095 since they like to give off noise I will try starting there and pull my hair out as needed.

My car is down right now, I installed new heads and another cam, and something went wrong and a valve head broke off and killed the motor. So I'm building a LS2 402 and going buck wild Should be done by the new year area, can't wait, should be putting down 500+rwhp N/A, then I will add a 200-300 shot and be done :twisted:
                          Scott Goldsmith

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"