X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • titan7
    • Dec 2005

2 channel system question: RB-1070 or 1080

What a slippery slope. My old speakers died, I made the mistake of listening to some Monitor Audio GR-10s, had to have them. They sound awesome but I think I need more power. I am currently running an old system I had in college:

1994 Denon 545R receiver 60wpcRMS
    1994 Denon DCM 340 5 disc CD player

I want to upgrade to seperates but I may have pick up a piece per month. I was thinking I should get the amp first since I can run that from the pre-out on the denon, I at least I will have solid clean power. I am thinking the rb-70 should be a big change over the denon receiver. The GR-10s are rated @100 watts and they are 8 ohm and sensitivity is 88db. Would the rb-1080 be better? I don't play Super loud but I heard bigger amps play better at lower volume? Also, I don't what to deal with upgrades later, I figure the 1080 will do it all.

Thanks for any input.
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

[QUOTE=titan7]I am thinking the rb-1070 should be a big change over the denon receiver. The GR-10s are rated @100 watts and they are 8 ohm and sensitivity is 88db. Would the rb-1080 be better? I don't play Super loud but I heard bigger amps play better at lower volume? Also, I don't want to deal with upgrades later, I figure the 1080 will do it all.
    QUOTE]
    What can we say? it's all there in your post. And it's all correct. 1070 will do the job, 1080 should be relatively future proof.

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

I 2nd what csuzor says, and as a bonus the 1080 after break in blossoms at a lower volume than the 1070. It seems to take a little better control of speaks. Its not about the "louder" levels it can achieve.

Comment

• gianni
        • Nov 2002

I've not spent enough time with the RB-1070 and RB-1080 side by side to offer any relevant info there. However, I do have some experience with the GR-10's. I love these speakers. Very nice indeed. I don't think they are particularly power hungry. I ran them with my RSX-1055 (75w X 5 and about 90+ in 2 ch mode) and it drove them really well. I'm sure the 1070 will be a step up with the 1080 giving you more choices for future setup. If money is a concern, see if you can at least take them to a Rotel dealer and try both amps. This is the only way to tell if YOU will hear any difference. I have a srong feeling that the 1070 would not disappoint you with the GR-10s. Take the extra $ and put it towards the pre. Let us know your findings on the amp.

Comment

• titan7
          • Dec 2005

I guess the 1080 is winning. I figure that if I ever upgrade my speakers to something like the MA GR-20 or GR-60s I would need at least a 1080 to drive them properly. I hate to spend $300 for nothing since that would be 60% of the cost on the preamp.

Thanks for the tips, I am going to head to the dealer this weekend. Does anybody know if those issues of 1080s blowing fuses still happening?

Comment

• Ryx
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by titan7
            Does anybody know if those issues of 1080s blowing fuses still happening?
            The newest models have had that issue fixxed. I am not sure how to tell the old model from the newer fixxed models, but anything bought new should not have the older fuse issues.

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

The "issue" wasn't really an issue. This is a gathering place for so many Rotel owners that if 5 have a common problem it becomes an "issue". It took some exact circumstances for the fuse to blow. For every 5 people that experienced it, 95 of us didn't. Rotel staying ahead of the 8 ball addressed it so it would be laid to rest.

Comment

• benny
                • Jan 2005

While the 1080 may be marginally better than the 1070, the the 1070 will still blow you away considering what it is replacing. I purchased some Paradigm Studio 60's and bought an amp to match at the same time. The salesman (who I believe to be honest) told me unless I was getting Studio 100's or 80's that I wouldn't be getting much more bang for my buck by getting the 1080. Also, the RB 1070 is the only Rotel piece I own that has never failed in any way...

Comment

• titan7
                  • Dec 2005

Well, after three trips to four different dealers, to hear the systems and compare Rotel to, GASP, NAD, I think I found a system and a deal. I listened to the RB-1070, RC-1070, RCC-1055 via some PSS towers. Sounded awesome! Then I heard the RB-1080, RC-1090, RCD-1072, through some speakers (evolution?) really space age looking speakers sounded great. Well the wife who was on the fence is now asking when are we getting the new system after she heard the Rotel set-ups

So here is what I am thinking
                  RC-1070
                  RCD-1072
                  RT-1080 (I must have a matching tuner)
                  RB-1080

All for $2,376.00+ tax.

I know I don't need the extra power of the RB-1080 now, but I am sure it will really make my Monitor Audio GR-10 sound sweet. Since I keep my gear in new condition and Amps seem to last forever, I think the $300 difference on the amps is money well spent.

So before I go down an finalize this tomorrow what's your opinion?
                  Last edited by titan7; 20 December 2005, 10:54 Tuesday.

Comment

• miner
                    • Mar 2005

Why the RC-1070 vs RC-1090? I may soon be replacing my RC-1070/RB1070 with a RC-1090/RB-1080.

Comment

• titan7
                      • Dec 2005

Dealers only have demos or "b" stock of the rc-1090 left as it's discontinued. I would rather have new, plus I prefer the look of the RC-1070. I don't need the phono capacity, and I not too sure the money is worth the sonic return.
                      Last edited by titan7; 20 December 2005, 14:17 Tuesday.

Comment

• GregLett
                        • May 2005

Titan,
                        That's a good deal! The RC-1090 just has allot of bells and whistles.
                        I owned it, and my cousin has the 1070, IMO that's the only real
                        difference. The fact that it has balanced connections means nothing
                        it's not a balanced design. I thought it sounded better with RCA connections.
                        Greg

Comment

• comeup
                          • Jul 2005

Always go for more power if cost is not an issue you never know when you will be upgrading your speakers it would be nice to already have the power to push what ever speaker you would want to buy.

good luck
                          Blake

Comment

• titan7
                            • Dec 2005

That's exactly what I was thinking on the power issue. I don't want to spend the extra $300 but I also don't want to have to upgrade later as that $300 difference today could quickly become $500.

Comment

• GregLett
                              • May 2005

Go for the extra power :T
                              Greg

Comment

• Marcel B
                                • Nov 2004

I don't agree, when I compared 981 with 991 I found them to be different in sound and the better combination was with the 981 with my speakers.

My advice is : listen (to music)

Marcel

Comment

• titan7
                                  • Dec 2005

It's done.

They had the RT-1080 in stock so I took that home and the other stuff will be here in a week.

I did listen to the two systems:

RC-1090, RB-1080, RCD-1072

RC-1070, RB-1070, RCC-1055

Both sounded outstanding. I just felt I will be getting a little better sound from the RCD-1072 vs the RCC-1055, I liked the look of the RC-1070 Pre-amp better, and did not need the RC-1090 features, Sonic difference? I would be splitting hairs, besides I can't find one new in box. It really came down to the AMP and I could not find a poor review on either, but I did see many people step up to the RB-1080 later or were planning to. I am not saying the RB-1070 is a poor choice, it just for $300 bucks I will get the bigger amp.

Oh this is going to be a long week : (
                                  Last edited by titan7; 20 December 2005, 22:03 Tuesday.

Comment

• soundhound
                                    • Mar 2004

Congrats titan, and with the 1080 there will be no, coulda, woulda, shoulda's........Once evreything gets some run time on it you will be in audio heaven.......Enjoy

Bob

Comment

• lvhung
                                      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Marcel B
                                      I don't agree, when I compared 981 with 991 I found them to be different in sound and the better combination was with the 981 with my speakers.

My advice is : listen (to music)

Marcel
                                      :T
                                      I totally agree with Marcel

Comment

• titan7
                                        • Dec 2005

Now, what about interconnects? How long in the burn-in period?

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"