X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

Rotel RB1080 vs. RMB 1075

i have a 7.1 setup with a yamaha receiver, i wish to amp the front left and right channels. (these are bi-ampable) since the above models are just about the same price ... what do you think about these options:

option 1 RB1080 (200w x 2)

200w x 2 - one each for the left and right channel

option 2 RMB1075 (120w x 5)

bi-amp each speaker with 120w x 2 = (240w per front speaker)
    and then use the final 120w x 1 for the center speaker
    so in effect getting 240w front channels and 120w for the center

or is my thinking flawed?
    any comments/opinions?
  • MarkR
    • Jan 2005

It really depends what you are trying to acheive, if you want to improve 2ch music performance then its a no brainer go for the 1080.
    If you are looking for more 'grunt' for HT then we really need to know what sort of Yammy it is and the speakers you have to know if the 1075 is your best option, even if it is I dont see much point in bi-amping the L/R channels as most of the action is in the middle.

Comment

• mike c
      • Dec 2005

hi, im getting the yamaha rx-v2600
      my LCR is the Infinity BETA 50, and the BETA C360
      rears are BETA 10's

and my priority is HT over music (95% HT)

wouldnt the 1075 give more power to the fronts with their 240w?

Comment

• ds22030
        • Sep 2004

Mark pretty much hits it....but since you hare HT more than music, 1075 may be a better fit....although I dont know your speakers....

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

You aren't getting 240watts to your mains by bi-amping them that way. You are just getting a clean 120 to the mid/high and 120 to the low. This will play a little bit louder for you, but one thing you might or might not notice is when I tried it, my soundstage and imaging changed. It got much wider and the imaging wasn't as defined as it was just running them normally. It's something to test out if you can!

Both amps are great and I think since you watch HT the 1075 would be a better choice.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• MarkR
            • Jan 2005

I've just had a quick look at the spec's on your reciever and I quote "assignable amplifiers for bi-amp configuration".
            You might want to check to see if you can assign 2ch each to the L/R and centre giving you a nice healthy 260wpc across the front and use the 1075 for the rears.

Comment

• mike c
              • Dec 2005

ds22030,

so you're saying I just use the 1075 on each of 5 of the channels and no more of this bi-amping stuff?

PewterTA,

so you're saying a 1080 would do the job better than a 1075 used on 2 channels?

mark,

yamahas dont actually have 130w x 7 (they are more of 130w x 2) yes, cheaters. but people shouldn't mind because for the price its kinda like "having a receiver with a free amp"

anyone,

if I do decide to use the 1080 on the fronts, would this imbalance the LR and the center? 200wpc LR and the center would have 130w

Comment

• mike c
                • Dec 2005

my speaker details are found here:

Comment

• MarkR
                  • Jan 2005

A gotcha ops: But now I am confused you say you have a 7.1 set up, if the Yammie has 130Wx2 then surely the 1075 is your only option(and not a bad one), unless I'm missing something else or you have another amp for the rears that your not telling us about.

I just double checked that reciever it does say 130x7 on the specs.

Comment

• grit
                    • Jan 2005

i doubt you'll notice much of a difference in volume level between the 1075 and the 1080 (based on what I've read). Any differnece can be compensated for using the processor setup to increase or decrease level output to a given channel, which you will have to do anyway (due to room variances, etc.). Most everyone here recommends you use a radio shack (or similar) SPL meter.

Comment

• mike c
                      • Dec 2005

sorry, the yamaha can play all 7 channels ... but the rating on the box that says 130w x 7 is misleading. when actually bench tested for all channels driven, it actually came out as approx. 40-50w x 7 (i think) but it certainly did the 130w x 2 in the same bench test. (they can legally claim such things because FTC only requires 2 channels driven wattage) what they actually mean as x7 is that EACH channel can do at least 130watts ... but not at the same time :E

about wattage: i thought that the stronger the wattage, the better the sound (im not after loudness after all ... im after the supposed improvement in sound quality)

Comment

• MarkR
                        • Jan 2005

mmm... bad Yamaha, 1075 is the one for you :T

Comment

• mike c
                          • Dec 2005

i have 2 other questions but don't know how to put it in the search box:

1) do the rotels accept banana plugs on the binding posts?
                          2) what if my receiver doesn't have a 12v trigger, do I have to turn the amp on and off every time?

Comment

• DL86
                            • Sep 2005

All rotel amps accept bannana plugs. I have a rb-1080 and leave it on 24/7 I prefer my amp running warm all the time, as I have previously read it does more damage turning it on and off than just leaving it on. However if you do not have a 12 V trigger and prefer to turn it on or off, then yes the only option is to press the button on the amp.

David

Comment

• mike c
                              • Dec 2005

DL86, so you leave it on 24/7 ... it doesn't build up heat?

also regarding heat, i see a lot of rotel setups that put these amps/processors one on top of the other ... doesnt this minimize air circulation? or at the very least heat up the unit on top of an amp?

Comment

• DL86
                                • Sep 2005

Just have at least 4 inches of space between the components and it should be fine. As far as heat build up goes the heat is dissipated quicker than it is produced so there is no problems with heat build ups. My 1080 stays at a constant temprature when its not in use, which is something like a cool-warm temperature.

David

Comment

• mike c
                                  • Dec 2005

thanks DL86

Comment

• alpina
                                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mike c
                                    i have 2 other questions but don't know how to put it in the search box:

1) do the rotels accept banana plugs on the binding posts?
                                    2) what if my receiver doesn't have a 12v trigger, do I have to turn the amp on and off every time?

Hi Mike,

I'm 99% sure the 2600 has two triggers at the back of it

cheers,

julie
                                    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• mike c
                                      • Dec 2005

wow! i presumed it didnt have triggers because my old yamaha receiver didn't!
                                      thanks alpina

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"