X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AMPER
    • Nov 2005

Huston The Eagle Has Landed

Well my units have finally arrived(RC-1070, RB-1080). Hooked them up to a pair of RTI-12s. And it really sounds good. I was expecting the 1080 to have a little more growl than it does. I don't think that it's so much the amp than the speakers. I have four bose 301's that I use mostly for tv. I got to thinking I wonder if a 301 can hang with the 1080, so I hooked up a pair of them in the back and left the polk rt 12s in the front hooked up. WOW to my amazement the 301 can hang very well with this amp. It sounds much better running the 12s and 301s together than just fronts. Also the amp did sound very bright and shallow at first but now that it's starting to break in or "cook in" it is starting to sound much better. Does anyone see any problems with this configuration(speakers). The Bose are only rated for 150w but they sound like they are up to the job. Also another question I have is when you use all four post in the back of amp does this "split the power" 200w divided into four would be 50w per speaker ? 8)
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

So you have all four speakers running off the 1080?

That's not that great of an idea, you are really going to be pushing that amp when some of the impedence really drops down. Eventually I wouldn't be surprised if you fry it at some point. Like if you turn it up loud.

Also, why are you listening to a stereo signal with 4 (ala quadraphonic) speakers... You'd still much better imaging with just a single set of speakers...

The polk should do good, you just need to let the 1080 work itself in. You will notice that you don't get the "booming" bass from them because that's not how the sound was really recorded. You should notice a tighter, quicker bass from your speakers, just not overwhelming bass like you were used to because it wasn't reproducing accurately.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• AMPER
      • Nov 2005

Thanks for response Pewter. I did notice that it was running a little hot( still be touch with hand on top) with vol. knob at about 12 oclock postion. But I'm uses to amps running a little hot....right? Also another thing that got me thinking is why ROTEL would put four speaker post on back if this created an unsafe condtion for it. Wouldn't this be designing the amp to fail? As far as runnning four instead of just two....I don't know. The music just sounds fuller. Again thanks for response

Comment

• dinnu
        • Oct 2005

The extra posts on 1080 are for bi-amping your speakers.

Comment

• AMPER
          • Nov 2005

thanks dinnu

Comment

• Boombox
            • Oct 2005

lucky you AMPER....in my language "AMPER" means "almost"....you almost cooked your amp...it would have been disasterous. I have a RB1070 and it seldomly gets hot driving 200W speakers at the 10 to 10 vol position...I can only imagine that the 1080 will stay much cooler at higher volumes...impedance would have killed the 1080...
            Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• AMPER
              • Nov 2005

what threw me off was that in my owners manual it only shows the right and left side, total of four post. But the amp has eight. I don't understand why they haven't update their tech data. Also does it matter if I use top or bottom terminals?

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"