X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

new/used Elite 301 disc CD GIGA Changer

I added one of these today to my HT. I had a Pioneer that was built for Radio Shack, still have it. But was always disappointed with the sound.

I think this changer has changed my mind about changers just from the first listen anyway.

I wanted to test it out tonight, since it was used, so I popped in a Miles Davis CD, and hooked up the analog outs to my MC-1. I didn't have a digital coax built tht was long enough until I redo my rack to move it closer to the MC-1. So, I gave it a spin, not bad!

Interestingly, Pioneer has nixed this model with the rosewood side panels and cut the price on it. Well, mine retailed for 700 bucks 2 years ago. Now it's 585 without the wood sides. General looks is the same as my 2 Elite DVD changers. So, it's going to make an ominous display, with 3 of those in a row. Now, when I am building cables, cleaning house, whatever, I can turn on some background music without dealing with single CD changes.

For 300 bucks, how could I go wrong! :-)

PD-F19 301 disc GIGA Changer

The 24 bit DACs aren't bad at all. It will be interesting to compare the sound with the MC-1's DACs. MC-1 will likely sound better, since everything is processed in the digital domain, thus the analog ins are converted to digital with the A to D, processed on the DSP engines, then converted back to analog with the 24 bit D to A converters. That's a lot of conversion.

I may wind up running long interconnects to my Classe' CP-35 in the floor on a Lovan stand in front of my RPTV. Likely the best sound that way for 2 channel. But I got to admit, it will be nice to be able to run my subs with my MC-1. So, I may go digital out to the MC-1 and analog to the Classe' for the best of both worlds.

No, it sure won't replace my Rega Jupiter for great 2 channel listening. But it does add a nice level of flexibility for CD sound. With this setup, I may move my Rega to my tube based 2 channel setup some as well.

Now, if I can figure a way to change the light inside to the blue of my DVD changers hmmmm. It's amber now. All of them have amber displays, just the internal light is different.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Doug now we need to get you going with supernudelist on that pronto of yours and you'll love it even more

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Which pronto? I've got 2 Prontos and 2 Marantz. :LOL:

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
        Now, if I can figure a way to change the light inside to the blue of my DVD changers hmmmm. It's amber now. All of them have amber displays, just the internal light is different.
        Well, you could replace the amber LED with blue one, but it might require some circuit modifications. Or you could get a Sony ES 400 disc changer, they have a blue light.

Sweet new toy. I bet your rack looks cool with three Pioneer Elite changers in it. :-y

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Nice pick-up Lex! 3 changers? What does your rack weigh with all three loaded? Ooof. Swapping out the bulb shouldn't be that hard - especially for someone as familiar with a soldering iron as you are.

Good one bud!

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• SiliGoose
            • Aug 2000

Nice looking player. Those Elite units are always good to look at (and listen to).

I use a Sony 400 disc changer that I couldn't live without. Super Nude-list and the disc changer are fantastic (as was Andrew's assistance in getting me going with Super Nude-list).

Even more customizable are HTPC's used as music servers. If you haven't given this a shot yet, Lex, I suggest you do so. The only negative about the disc changers is the slow disc change time...with a music server you can eliminate that gap (even set it to cross fade from one song to another).

-Sili
            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Eduardo
              Moderator emeritus
              • Jun 2002

Very nice player Lex.

Heres a dumb question I don't have a pronto so this may not matter: What is Super Nude-list?

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Eduardo SNL is a list of nudie websites :boobies:

Actually its some 3rd party software that was written to allow a user to very easily maintain a database of the CD's in a jukebox on their pronto's. Basically what you end up with is a panel with the alphabet on it and pressing a letter takes you to a list of artists under that letter. So pressing "A" might give you a list like

Aerosimth
                Andrew's Hit list
                Andrea Bocelii

So then pressing Aerosmith would then jump you to a page listing all the Aerosmith CD's you have loaded in the jukebox. Finally pressing the name of a CD would fire up the jukebox and start playing that CD.

The software's a bit of a bear to get integrated but once you're going its very easy to maintain when you add a new CD etc. If you want more info start a thread in the Electronics area

Comment

• Rcovell
                  • Dec 2002

Lex
                  What a system it sounds like you have, I'm a bit overwhelmed. However, I also have (but one) CD changer, the Elite model you show in your pic. I love it. Seems to be very well built and has been bulletproof for the last several years I've owned it. I really like the computer keyboard input for listing titles and artists. Hope you enjoy it.
                  Bob

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Thanks guys. David, I shudder to think about the weight on my Elite rack. It boggles the mind! It starts down low with 125 pounds of Proceed AMP-5, then TiVo, VCR, MC-1, dual Elite DVD changers, then Toshiba 9000, then Tuner, then Panamax MAX-1000, rounds out the shelves. On top, is an HTPC, and the new CD changer. Dangit, I cleared the top off once, putting the HPA-2 in the floor on Lovan stand, removing a cheap changer, and here I am stacking towards the ceiling again, lol. It's been a helluva rack, really. Built by Bush for Pioneer. Fortunately, it's held up so far.

Bob, thanks, nice, you've got one of the Elite's too! Your comment about my system, made me check my profile, and I found out my link was wrong to my system. (list and photos not really current), but you can now click my profile to see most of my setup. Your overwhelmed? You should be here and try to hook all this up, work through technical issues. Me, a cable expert, and sometimes, the task is daunting, lol.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                    Doug

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"