X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gcmarshall
    • Dec 2005

rb-1080 problems

Can RB-1080 owners, or those with knowledge, please comment on how widespread the fuse or channel failure issue is with the RB-1080 (forgive me if I butcher the terminology, but in reading on this forum, it appears that the RB-1080 has some sort of systemic problem that many owners have faced.) Whatever that problem is, can those of you with knowledge comment on whether or not it is fixed on newer versions or what the general state of the situation is?

Also, does it impact the RMB-1095 as well, since they are similar products, just different numbers of channels?
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

GCMarshall,

The RB-1080 has been through several revisions since it was first released 5 years or so ago (I forget when). Up until recently all revsions of the RB-1080 had an issue where at start-up (especially with the trigger) on certain specific speaker and speaker cable combinsaitons you would occassionally get a blown internal fuses, especially the left channel. This issue was sufficiently rare that it took several years for Rotel to recognise that there was a problem and diagnose how to fix it... The same amplifier would work prefectly in another system... The general consenus is that it affects < 100 systems (usually several times that).

Initially it was so rare that Rotel did not see it as a systemic issue - more to do with individual set-ups. However several thousands of units later the number of Rotel users with the issue grew and became noticable... Rotel UK developed a fix was shared with the factory... After some tweaking the factory made this fix standard on all new shipmenets of the RB-1080. This timing for change seems to have varied depening on the country however all new units have it installed. The fix was made after the change to the clear dual speaker binding posts - so having the clear posts does not mean you have the fix.

The Rotel distributors in most countries also have a service note as to how to change some parts (resistors, capacitors and the fuses) to fix the problem and will do so for any existing units who have the problem... 99+% of RB-1080 users have never had any problem... Most of those that do have simply (like me) chosen not to use the 12V trigger to avoid a repeat...

This problem only affected the RB-1080 as related to the direct connection the amp has with the speakers and its very high damping factor... The RMB-1075 and RMB-1095 are different designs and have never had the issue...

Also Rotel was affected for a while with a resister supplier where a higher than normal number of resistors would fail, also causing channel failure. This affeced anumber of products for a few months until the batch of resisters was changed. Again affected users where fixed under warrantee - but for a while this confuses the RB-1080 issue...

Any new RB-1080 should be fine... 99% of second hand RB-1080s will be fine to (it just depends on your specific system)

Hope this helps..

Regards

Geoff

Comment

• bleeding ears
      • Nov 2004

Geoff, do you know if Rotel will fix older 1080 units with the problems at their cost?

Eg units long out of warranty , or units purchased used ?

Pete

Comment

• Marlboroman
        • Aug 2005

They usually do but you are responsible for paying for the shipping to them. Any known modifications they usually take care of without any charge to owner, regardless of whether they are original owner or not. Any repairs beyond known modifications are a different subject though.

Comment

• bleeding ears
          • Nov 2004

Marlboroman, How about in Australia?

Perhaps Aussie Geoff in oz will know.

I am pretty sure that the warranty in Australia is non transferable to another owner. So I would be surprised if Rotel were willing to fix out of warranty 2nd or 3rd owner units at their cost, especially if you could not produce the original purchase receipt.

But I may be pleasantly surprised?

Pete

Comment

• dinnu
            • Oct 2005

I just sent mine in for the fix here in US. I bought it used and told them so. No questions asked, they just asked me to ship it in. I am not sure how they can figure out if you are the 2nd or 10th owner. If you buy it used they don't expect you to have the receipt anyways.

Comment

• Marlboroman
              • Aug 2005

I can not say how they do it in Australia but I know in the US that they do not allow warranty transfers but they do not research it a lot. Basically if you can provide an original receipt that proves it is under warranty they do not ask many questions. In the US, the Rotel service guys will do modifications that fix known issues for free even if you are not the original owner. I think that it is mainly because they really do seem to take a lot of pride in their product and want the owner to enjoy it as much as possible. I would assume that it would be the same all over the world but maybe I am mistaken.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Bleeing Ears,

International dynamics will fix for free if the RB-1080 is under warranty (3 years from memory) providing you have the original receipt. They have only needed to fix a few becuase the problem is quite rare... Older units are fixed for a nominal charge to cover shipping and parts.. The Units need to be shipped to Melbourne and you should allow 2 weeks or so of down time.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"