X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PiDD
    • Aug 2003

Rotel 1095 hum

OK so we have Rotel owning up to the HUM issue. Did they identify by serial number what units are affected by this?

I purchased mine in Feb of 2003 am I exposed to this issue?

Rob
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Where, when? Link?
    Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I wouldn't say they've owned up to anything really. Some people have had a problem that they can help mask with some mod's to the 1095 but really if you aren't hearing a problem there's nothing to "fix" either with your 1095 or your electrical system.

Comment

• PiDD
        • Aug 2003

I've been to too many sites and have read too much to remember .. i thought it came from this site. Maybe I was reading about the 1098! my bad .. let me poke around and provide a link.

Comment

• ht_addict
          • Dec 2002

I had a humming 1095 and thanks to Andrew and his connection at Rotel I had the unit in and out in 7days. Alls quiet on the home front now. Turned out they had to replace 5 input resistors.

Kevin

Comment

• Locutus2k
            • May 2004

Originally posted by ht_addict
            I had a humming 1095 and thanks to Andrew and his connection at Rotel I had the unit in and out in 7days. Alls quiet on the home front now. Turned out they had to replace 5 input resistors.

Kevin
            Kevin: was you 1995 hummin also with the ground pin deactivated (if you have tried this)?
            My 1095 was slightly hummin, i have deactivated the ground pin and now is quite silent.

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

Andrew

I purchased my 1095, as you may recall, in the US and did have ground noise issues with it that I was able to compensate by using ground loop isolator and remove the ground plug on the AC plug.

Have not really been thinking about it since, until yesterday I was cleaning up in my cable mess and I connected the amp to a grounded outlet. Surprise, surprise loud ground noise issue. I then disconnected everything from the amp, so that I only had power (with ground) and the speaker cables. Still big time noise.
              Finally tried disconnecting everything from the power outlet, so only the amp was connected (normally I have a distribution unit for all the gear) - but again noise at levels that sounded very unhelthy for my speakers..

I have, naturally, reconnected the amp without the ground - but my question is should it really be like this, or do my unit qualify for the fix?
              Secondly, nobody seems to know anything about a ground fix here in Denmark - could you ask the nice Rotel people and let them come up with a recommendation on what to do?

Thx..

Comment

• PiDD
                • Aug 2003

Rotel fixed a hum problem with an input resistor replacement. Is this a problem with one unit or a problem with design that affects all?

I have a slight hum from only the center channel. I tried the tape on the ground power cord trick. That reduced the noise. Its now at acceptable volume. The question is should there be any noise? Is this normal.

I dont understand the ground loop problem in general. Does it come from a poorly designed componemt in the system introducing noise?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

aarsoe I've sent Rotel of Europe's tech support an email asking them to contact you regarding that issue as it sounds like there's a problem with your unit.

Comment

• aarsoe
                    • May 2004

Andrew

Thx - app. it

PS: How big a shareholder are you actually? The way you make Rotel help us all, one would assume that you either have dirty photo's or a very large stake in the company... :lol:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Unfortunatly I have neither a single share or any photo's...just a good working relationship with the guys at Rotel and a desire to help my fellow Rotel fans if I can.

Comment

• aarsoe
                        • May 2004

Andrew

Quite a few years ago my company (IBM) had a small statue that we could give to customers that were truely dedicated. They earned the title "Ambassador".

I think Rotel should do the same for you!! You have earned it..

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Cool that you work for IBM..we're a big IBM customer here at work so I get to use your gear every day...and we just bought one of your fastest mainframe computers ...I think they said we're only the second company to have one in Canada :T

Thanks for the kind words though ops:

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                            • May 2004

All of the Rotel tech support guys are very nice and try their best to help people out. I give Andrew props for taking the extra step and contacting the guys for others, that is very cool. As far as the humming goes and the unit that had the input resistors replaced, I doubt that it was a modification or anything like that, it sounds like the input resistors had opened up (which would definately cause a hum) and the service department just replaced them with some new resistors. If there were a "hum problem" with this amp I think we would have heard a lot more about it by now, since this amp has been on the market for a few years at least. Just keep in mind that when a hum is in a system, it is the nightmare of everyone involved. There are a million and one different things that could cause a hum and sadly the amps or the receivers are the first components to be blaimed.

G.

Comment

• aarsoe
                              • May 2004

Goson

I agree, but if the humming comes from an amp that is only connected to the power outlet and speaker - ie. no signal cables at all, and the speakers are passive, then its hard not to blaim the amp..
                              But removing the speaker cables does oddly enough seem to correct the problem :W

Comment

• dbart
                                • Jan 2003

aarsoe,

I hear ya. I too have the 1095 buzz problem :evil:

Comment

• ht_addict
                                  • Dec 2002

If you have a hum take it in and have it looked at. If its still under warranty no harm done. Mention the input resistor solution that fixed mine.

ht_addict

Comment

• PiDD
                                    • Aug 2003

Hi Anders,

I am also an IBMer! .... im just looking you up in Bluepages .. nice picture!

I wish I could get Andrew a statue! I hope Rotel is taking care of him!!

The buzz I get you have to put your ear right up to the speaker, nothing speaker damaging. I would take yours in with the email you should get from Rotel with Andrews help.

Rob

Comment

• aarsoe
                                      • May 2004

PiDD

Thx - but that was taking a couple of years back when I was on assignment in Austin.
                                      Anyway - you will be only be able to find my picture a couple of months more, as I am moving to the next place.. Wherever that is.. 8)

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

PiDD so you're a local IBMer as well:T

I guess one thing to mention is that if you guys are happy with what Club Rotel and HTGuide are offering you consider emailing Rotel and telling them how you feel...we have a fantastic relationship with them that I hope will only continue to grow but it never hurts to let them know what the forum means to you as Rotel owners etc.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                          • May 2004

Andrew

Will do... :T

Comment

• PiDD
                                            • Aug 2003

Great idea.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"