X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Hartford
    • Jul 2003

5.1 channel or straight CD input?

This is perhaps a no brainer for most, but I am not sure. I have the Rotel RSP-985 that can only take an SACD signal/5.1 through a rca to 25 DB input. I have the Denon 2900 set up with that specialty cable. Is there any reason to also run standard RCA's from the Denon for 2 channel CD input, or should every media whether SACD, or redbook CD still run through the 5.1 channel.? I also have a Denon multiplay CD player for background, non Sacd play. Any thoughts?

Jeff
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

As I've come to learn the 5.1 inputs for stereo cd's works just fine (have my Denon 1600 and RSP-1066 hooked up that way at home ) I'd connect your 2200 (lucky bum :evil: ...yes I'm just jealous cus' yours does SACD :x ) to the 5.1 ins and your multi-disc player to a 2-channel input. As well as any digital connections you want/can.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
      • Jul 2003

Actually have the 2900.... sorry. Was just curious if there was any point connecting the 2900 to CD as well. It does seem the 5.1 channel is a pure analog pass through and may be the best way even for 2 channel material.

Jeff

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Actually have the 2900.... sorry.
        Just noticed that... :x You're an evil man :P ...lol

Was just curious if there was any point connecting the 2900 to CD as well. It does seem the 5.1 channel is a pure analog pass through and may be the best way even for 2 channel material.
        Not really and it will save you cables too, plus there's no auditory bennefit. The only reason I would suggest doing it would be for say "Macros" where having a "CD" input could be helpful. Or different bass management settings if you had a pre/pro that could handle different inputs, well, differently...lol

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
          • Jul 2003

Jason-

I suspect I will use the CD input on the 985 for the multiplay unit. You are right, it seems redundant to do anything other than the 5.1 off the universal player.

Jeff

Comment

• eelco74
            • Dec 2002

I also own a 2900. But I use a Denon 3801 as a processor. And a RB-981 and a RB-985MkII for driving all channels.

I found the 5.1 input on the Denon much cleaner than the analogue CD input. Somehow the 5.1 is more direct than the analogue input.

How do you like your 985 processor. I see them sometime used for verly low prices. Since it was a very fine unit, it tempting to sell the 3801 and swap for a RSP-985.....

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
            Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
            Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
              • Jul 2003

I like the 985 very much, but it is limited by it's age. It only does 5.1, which is fine with me. I think it has a very clean sound. I picked the unit up along with a RMB-1095 in pristine condition for $1500 for the pair. I was thrilled with that.

Jeff

Comment

• Mark_C.
                • Jan 2003

Never Mind

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"