X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomm
    • Oct 2005

Is the rb1080 worth it?

hi
    i am contemplating whether to go for the rb1080 to run my fronts (which are hard speakers to drive). i am currently using the 1075 and i only have a 5.1 setup and i was hoping to get some imput from members as to how much of an improvement i will get for my AUD$1600. it is very difficult for me to audition the 1080.
    tom
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

In a word yes, especially since you have fronts which are difficult to drive.

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• dan87951
      • Nov 2005

If your saying your RMB-1075 is having a hard time drivinf the speakers you may want to look at the RB-1090 over the RB-1080. The RB-1080 is only marginally more powerful than the RMB-1075 and it wouldn't warrant the power you would be looking for in my opinion. I have had both amps and the RB-1080 (200w) and RMB-1075 (120w) are very close in terms of power.
      dan87951
      audio guru

Comment

• csuzor
        • Nov 2004

Can your speakers be bi-ampped? I am convinced bi-amping brings more advantage at moderate listening levels than a bigger amp. If yes, and budget limits you to the 1080 level, how about 2x 1070 (1 for each speaker), or another 1075 (bi-amp all 5 channels!)? I found a significant improvement when I bi-ampped my fronts with the 1075. Personally, I will audition the 1077, and am thinking of using it to bi-amp L/R/C (all identical).

Comment

• Boombox
          • Oct 2005

csuzor...

you've been preaching this bi-amping...my speakers are bi-ampable (Boston VR2s) and I'm about to order another 1070 to go with my current one, so that I can bi-amp (1 RB1070 per speaker)...my question is this....8O

If the two bass drivers use the "left channel" and the mid-highs use the right channel, does the left channel wear faster than the right channel because the bass drivers pull more power?? Will I have to change channels now and again??

It will cost the same as upgrading to the RB1080...
          Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• tomm
            • Oct 2005

my front speakers can be bi-wired or bi-amped. my other three channels cannot so the 1075 is out. so what do others think of 2x1070's as opposed to the 1080 or even the 1090? the 1090 would be a real stretch at the moment but if it is significantly better than the other two options, i will have to save or get a s/h unit.

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

The 1090 is your best bet, no other combination will match the power and control the 1090 will have on your speakers.

The 1080 will do better than your 1075, but the difference will not be as noticeable as a 1090. The two 1070s, while in theory are a good idea, they are no better than bi-amping your 1075 to your speakers.

1090 is probably your best best if you want an amp to dominate the speakers and you want to stick with Rotel.

Course you could save up and wait for the new analog switching stereo/mono-block amps coming out from Rotel. High powered beasts those things will be. That's what I'm waiting for. :T
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Stev
                • Sep 2005

I beleive the krix are pretty efficient ? So shouldnt be too hard to drive ? Why not try bi-amping the front L&R with 4 ch of the 1075 and use the remaining cn for the center - and get a 1070 or even 1050 for the surrounds. You can just try it for the front to start with - if you dont notice a difference from bi-amping the fronts a bigger amp may not help you much - only costs a couple of rca splitteres to try it !

Steve

Comment

• grit
                  • Jan 2005

I've asked this question before in regard to my B&W 703's and was under the impression that the 1080 would sound better than the 1075 for 2-ch stereo based on responses I read. Did I miss something?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

Hi,

I have the RMB-1075 and RB-1080 and have extenively trialed the RB-1090 in my home system. Bottom line the RB-1080 is significantly better for stereo that the RMB-1075, especially with more complex loads... The RB-1090 is better again if you have double the money...

Geoff

Comment

• soundhound
                      • Mar 2004

Great answer to such a subjective question Geoff, I 2nd it.

Comment

• tomm
                        • Oct 2005

geoff, in my original post i hadn't yet looked at the price of the rb1090. after seeing that it is over double the price, i realize now that it is out of my price range. if you say that the 1080 is a significant improvement over the 1075 for two channel, then i will investigate further. thanks.

Comment

• audiofan
                          • May 2004

my friend has rmb-1075. He thought it was no powerfule enough. Then , he got new pre-amp (Arcam) and rmb-1075 was better than ever as the bass went deeper and tight . So, i believe, pre-amp plays vital part in the system.

I have rc-1070 and rb-1080. I think i will upgrade rc-1070 so something else. Musical Fidelity and Plinius are in my list.

Comment

• soundhound
                            • Mar 2004

Audiofan, front ends make a huge difference in how a system sounds. I use the RSP-1068 for surround formats (20%) and have had a couple of tubed preamps for 2 channel (80%). Many of the "better" 2 channel preamps have ht pass through built in so you can have the best of both in 1 system.

Comment

• csuzor
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by soundhound
                              Audiofan, front ends make a huge difference in how a system sounds. I use the RSP-1068 for surround formats (20%) and have had a couple of tubed preamps for 2 channel (80%). Many of the "better" 2 channel preamps have ht pass through built in so you can have the best of both in 1 system.
                              soundhound, I use the 1068 on my audio system, and only the mch bypass is connected... I feel it is not well used, and I would like to bring it into the AV room, and have a simpler preamp in the music room... What have you heard, what can you recommend? What is a 2ch preamp with HT pass-through??

I need a 5.1ch preamp, no ADC/DAC, no DTS/DD, no video switching or upscaling... no gimmicks, just volume control !!

Comment

• soundhound
                                • Mar 2004

csuzor, I have not seen a 5.1 channel analog pre (allthough have read where a few people have used them). The pass through allows you to take 2 channel sources, (tt, cd, tuner) into the preamp only, as the main amp is driven by the outputs of the 2 channel. Your'e processors main outs are fed into the 2 channel as well and then when you select "bypass" on the 2 channel, the processor signals are routed in-out, period. It becomes nothing more than a jumper between your'e processor and main amp. I prefer tubes for the front, but do know many of the ss manufacturers make good 2 channel rigs with the "bypass" or "pass through".

Comment

• grit
                                  • Jan 2005

Ok, question time. How much (if any) affect will the pre-amp add when you are only using bypass mode? I use my 1068 for 2-ch stereo (analog bypass) and for DD 5.1 when watching movies or whatever else ISN'T 2-ch stereo. I have NO complaints about my 5.1, but would love to improve my 2-ch music (it's not bad, that's just where my passion is).

So, if I'm just using 2-ch analog bypass on the 1068, how much different can a dedicated 2-ch stereo preamp sound?

Comment

• soundhound
                                    • Mar 2004

Lots.....the 1068 is not a bad one, no doubt about it. But, if you really start to pursue 2 channel there are many options. I have a gently modded vtl 2.5 right now that has detail the 1068 never imagined. Listening is a must, as there are so many choices, and 1 can spend so much $$$$. Good luck, and enjoy the persuit as that is 1/2 the fun of it.

Comment

• ds22030
                                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                                      Hi,
                                      Bottom line the RB-1080 is significantly better for stereo that the RMB-1075, especially with more complex loads...
                                      Geoff
                                      Ditto....Not impressed with 1075 in driving 4ohm loads with an 8" woofer floor standers.....I suspect it was the current issue.....1080 does it admirably.

Comment

• grit
                                        • Jan 2005

Damnit! You guys are inflating my desire to by the 1080 to improve my 2-ch stereo! Arrgh!

Comment

• lvhung
                                          • Jun 2005

Worth or not worth is depend on the how high resolution of your sys and
                                          particually your speakers
                                          Actually the 1075 or 1070 is unlimited power in many set-ups
                                          I heard the 1075 with Yamaha 1400 pre and Mirage spekare
                                          The sound was clean and very loud with KILL BILL movie

Comment

• tomm
                                            • Oct 2005

Just to note, my speakers are rated 200w, 4ohms. therefore the amp is delivering more power to my speakers, so does this make the 1090 any less appealing as I would have over 300wpc or is the 1090 more desirable as it is rated to handle 2ohm loads?

Comment

• soundhound
                                              • Mar 2004

tomm, the 1080 is rated @ 200 into 8 ohm, so it would run your'e speaks (higher for less impedance) You are in a good scenario, if you have a local dealer who has stock of both or can get both. Start with the 1080, and if unhappy they should let you upgrade for the difference. I realize here in the states its easy to say "try this", and "trade for that", but your'e dealer must have some access to both, don't they?

Comment

• tomm
                                                • Oct 2005

they do, it's just that my dealer is a 350 mile trip.

Comment

• abqnmusa
                                                  • Jan 2006

My friend bought a pair of B&W 703's. We tested them with my Rotel RA-1070 integrated (100 wpc) and then the RA-1090 XLR to the RB-1080. They sounded good with the 1070 but we had to use L1 or L2 to get good bass. With the 1080 the speakers sounded better with stronger bass and a bit cleaner midrange.

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"