X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elmac
    • Apr 2004

RB1080 or RB1090 or Bryston 4B SST

Need help!
    My RMB1075 is driving my Sur, Front and Center and RB1050 drives back Sur. my fronts are CDM9NT. I do run 7.1 setup for HT and stereo for music, I have noticed that my 9NTs don't have allot of life in stereo mode. Spoke to my Rotel dealer and he agrees that 9NTs require more power. He recommends following stereo Amps Rotel RB1080 or RB1090 or Bryston 4B SST
    I don't have allot of experience with Bryston but I really like the way it sounded
    Thank you all for your help.
    Elmac
    All HT Signals Processed by D2 for Ultimate Experience
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

I would go with the 1080 or the 4B SST. See which you prefer. If you like the 4B SST, go with it. The 1090, to me, is excessive for the 9NT.

Expect jimmyp58 to chime in.

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Good advice Will, and I also agree the RB-1090 would probably be over-kill.

You want to go with sounds good to you, I'm sure Jimmy will tell you how nice that Bryston sounds. Remember you are the one listening and paying your hard earned cash. Go with sounds good to you, perhaps you should try listening in your home environment (test drive).

Keep us posted.

Good Luck,

Azeke

Comment

• DrBoom
        • Dec 2003

Somebody care to explain how the 2x 350W Bryston 4B-SST is acceptable, but the 2x 380W Rotel 1090 is overkill ? :blink:
        I think I'd go for Bryston, having had my share of dislikes with Rotel poweramps (just not my kinda sound), I prefer a brighter more transparent sound instead of warm smooth whatever.

Comment

• will1066
          • Aug 2003

Sorry 'bout that. I thought the 4B SST was 200 W. Perhaps I was thinking of the 8B SST.

Comment

• DrBoom
            • Dec 2003

The 3B is 2x150W, and the next in line is the 4B with 2x300W (not 350 as I said earlier, so we were both off :B )
            Never the less, i'd go for the 4B, I'd love to hear one of those in my system too.
            And by the way, there's no such thing as overkill when it comes to amps, too much power is just enough :T

Comment

• jimmyp58
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Boy, you guys know me too well! It's all good though. First and foremost, it is your ears and what they enjoy hearing that is the absolute best resource. If your ears like the Rotel amps, go for it without regrets. If on the other hand your ears like the sound of the Bryston 4B SST better, go with that without regrets. I would highly suggest taking Azeke's advice in that you should try to bring a demo of one of the Rotel amps home as well as the 4B SST. Listen to them in YOUR environment. That often can make a huge difference in what your ears will enjoy. Sure, the Bryston may sound better in the store but maybe there is an outside chance it may not sound as good in your home. Then again, the Rotel amp may sound better in your home than in the store so that may make a huge difference. I know you fellas in Canada get great prices on Bryston so cost isn't as much an issue to you as it is to us south of the border.

It is true I like Bryston amps, especially for 2-channel listening. It's sound reproduction is very, very pure. I remember the first time I heard of these amps and the dealer telling me how truly life-like they reproduce sound. Not that I had any reason to not believe him but when I really auditioned them seriously and listened to small details did their beauty truly stand out. I could go on and on but I won't out of respect for this forum being more Rotel than Bryston. But lastly, the 20 year transferable warranty adds significant value to this purchase besides the sonic enjoyment it will provide.

Good luck in your selection....

Jim
              jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• ht_addict
                • Dec 2002

If your interested in a RB1080 theirs a guy selling a 1yr old all black for $850CDN on canuckaudiomart.

ht_addict

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"