X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Horacio
    • Jan 2005

Calling RSX-965 connoisseurs...help needed

Hi guys.

I want to set up a small home theater system from scratch (separate from my stereo system). I'm looking at spending little money first to test the waters: receiver + existing Toshiva DVD player + a set of speakers in a box.

For the receiver I'm between going for a used RSX-965 or a new receiver for about the same money ($400). What do you guys suggest? How do/did you guys like the 965?

All inputs welcome!

Horacio
  • Tha Freak
    • Jul 2003

I'm pretty sure you will have a lot better sounding unit with the used Rotel than a 400$ receiver out of the box...

For surround modes, il seems to have PL instead of PLII...rest is quite nice DD5.1, DTS you are quite OK with that...

75w x 5 is quite nice too (that's what I have in my 1055)

the new 400$ unit will have more fancy features (often useless) and maybe 6.1 capability...but as of built quality...can't compare I think...

Take note that Rotel's wattage is conservative...some other tend to boost the numbers...

my 2ยข btw
    - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Horacio
      • Jan 2005

Thank you for the answer. I was assuming the 965 would have better sound and more power than any new $400 unit (I have a Rotel stereo system), but was wondering about the set of features, user friendliness, etc.

I'll look into what PL and PLII mean. Is good to know that features-wise the 965 looks good.

Thanks for the input!
      Horacio

Comment

• Tha Freak
        • Jul 2003

get the user manual on Rotel's website...

PL abd PLII are ProLogic (original) and PLII is ProLogic 2 (newer and better version for digital signal...I think)

here's the manual for the RSX-965...

RSX-965 manual pdf
        - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Pro-logic can be applied to stereo sources only. It's a 4 channel matrix, L, C, R, and S. So you get MONO surrounds with limited frequency response. It's also setup for movies/cable. So it really sucks at music (the center is too prominent). It's a basic conversion that works best with sources encoded with Pro-Logic (some tv shows and VCR movies).

Pro-Logic II is a true 5.1 channel matrix. It will create 5.1 channels from any stereo source. Much improved over Pro-Logic and has a music mode that works wonders (if you use the tweaks for center width and rear presence). PLIIx is a 7.1 channel matrix that can even be applied to digital sources to take DD and DTS to true 7.1 surround.

In a nutshell, if you like to listen to music in stereo only, PLII isn't worth it. If you are sticking with 5.1, PLIIx isn't worth it. For movies and TV, with DVD;s and DD on tv channels, PLII isn't worth it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Horacio
            • Jan 2005

Thank you both!

Horacio

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"