X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • char141185
    • Dec 2003

1098 tips

Hi, everyone hopefully around Christmas time i will be the new owner of a 1098 and a 1095. I was wondering if anyone could give me some good set up tips or any other advice that might be helpful in me setting everything up?
  • mazuly
    • Feb 2003

Hi,

Buy yourself a sound pressure meter from Radio Shack if you don't already have one.

Give it some time to brake-in for best sound.

Listen to lots of music and watch lots of movies (helps brake-in period. I left mine on playing music for more than 24 hours when I got it )

Move speakers around the room more than 100 times to get the best sound (I am still doing it )

Let us know what was the first movie you watched with it

HAVE FUN.

Maziar

Comment

• Mats
      Special Member
      • Jun 2000

Just keep toying around with it, see what settings work best for you. Get to know the gear!
      Mats
      Mats Str├Âmberg
      Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
      Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Welcome to the Club.

I agree with Maziar, the most cruticial element for setup is speaker calibration. You should acquire the Radio Shack SPL meter (analog version if possible, this provides a more accurate calibration than utilizing your hearing), this should be done after speaker placement has been completed and also everytime you make speaker placement changes.

The 1098 is not a plug n play machine, so once you have calibrated your speakers, you can start using the menu to complete other options, i.e. speaker delays, contours, etc. For speaker delays, this should be measured distances from the primary listening area ( I used a tape measure) and then fine tune in accordance with your taste and room environment. Alll other adjustments are mostly fine tuning to personal taste.

Remember the break in process is also a factor, I allowed my 1098 to play 72 hours @ 75db to expedite the break in process, much to the dismay of my lovely wife :LOL:.

Last check your firmware version (holding the mute button) and update to the lastest version which can be found here with instructions, which you must follow to the letter (upgrade time after prep is approximately 5 min.):

Rotel support is where you will find information about warranty registration, service, software downloads, owner’s manuals and product archives.

Let us know how it works out, I received my 1098 over two months ago, and I am still tweaking this beautiful beast.

Good luck and above all have fun.

Merry Christmas everyone,

Azeke

BTW, a couple of other notes, read your manual, and the Club Rotel FAQ, this will help you tremendously.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I agree with the SPL meter and you should get a copy of Avia (or digital video essentials) as well to help calibrate the video and audio.

There's a lot of flexibility in the 1098 so read though the manual and don't be afraid to experiment with different settings to find out what works for you.

Comment

• char141185
            • Dec 2003

thanks everyone.

Comment

• Britchie
              • Nov 2003

Good luck with your new 1098. This is the first piece of Rotel gear that I've owned and love this baby!!

I'm still breaking mine in as well. During your break in period have you heard any advice regarding the types of music to play (I.e one of the wide spectrum CD's or any CD will due) and does the volume level matter? should we keep it high or move the level around or does this not matter?

Welcome aboard!

Brad

Comment

• DSGCobra
                • Feb 2003

When moving the 1095 lift with your legs, not your back.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by dsgcobra
                  When moving the 1095 lift with your legs, not your back.
                  funny :LOL:

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"