X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NHT
    • Mar 2004

Just got my 1098!!

I just picked it up from the dealer today. Got an AMAZING deal on an open box. $2199!! What is the current firmware on the 1098?

Any setup tips from Rotelians out there? I am so excited to hook this baby up and fire away but I want to get some initial setup tips first. Thanks
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

That IS a pretty good deal
    How much does it normally cost over there ?

Current firmware is v2.1.2 but there are newer machines out there with a different brand of LCD screen that have firmware version in the 3.xx range.
    There also is a v2.1.3 going around, but it's not yet on the Rotel site.

As for setup tips, the one thing you have to look out for is the subwoofer setup.
    When you calibrate everything to 75 dB, you have to set the sub to 85 dB because somewhere along the line there's a 10 dB difference which is not stated anywhere in the manual but it's clearly audible.
    So the sub has to be calibrated (on my 1098 anyway) 10 dB higher than the rest of the speakers to get the level right. (you'll hear it)
    The rest of the setup should work out fine

Comment

• jlee
      • Aug 2004

I just got my 1098 (upgraded from 1066) yesterday. How do I check the firmware version?

Comment

• NHT
        • Mar 2004

You check the firmware by holding down the mute button for 5 seconds. Mine came with 2.1.3 so I take it that it has the latest firmware.

One thing concerns me about my unit and I dont know if it is normal but it is such an annoyance. Anytime Im performing a function (adjusting levels, switching video, or even skipping chapters or pausing on the dvd player) it makes a clicking noise from inside the machine. Its the same clicking noise that Rotels make when they power on or off but mine does it when I perform a function on the machine. Does any other 1098 owners have this problem? If this is a normal thing, this could really get hard to get used to.

Comment

• DrBoom
          • Dec 2003

It's perfectly normal, that clicking noise, yet some people find it annoying.
          The 1098 uses an abundance of relays, which is really the best way of switching, but unfortunately also the noisiest way
          The largest click is the muting relay which mutes the pre-outs whenever you change something, to prevent speaker damage due to popping or clicking sounds which might occur during switching.
          Then there are also relays that select the bypass mode, and other that switch inputs.
          So there's a whole lot-o'-clickin' going on in there.
          Oh yeah, and the TFT display also has it's own power relay.
          The clicking you experience when changing chapters on a DVD is DVD player dependant, not all players cause this.
          It happens when the 1098 loses signal lock, which means the DVD player stops sending signals while changing chapters, some do this and some don't.
          If the 1098 wouldn't make any clicking sounds while changing stuff, it would mean that it uses transistors and IC's to switch inputs, which is far worse quality than relays.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"