X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

RSP-1098 - Hardware Upgradable?

Have not seen a 1098 "in the flesh", but curious about the hardware upgradability given the nature of the build - i.e. most of the input / output cards are vertically mounted.

Was wondering if the manner they are connected to the main board is of the type of a PC board. I.e. are these "cards" removable should there be a significant hardware upgrade - e.g. to the processor or main board etc ?

I am toying with the idea of upgrading from 1066-> 1068 or 1098 :lol: (upgraditis strikes again), but will only go for the 1098 if there is the ability to upgrade hardware... I will have limited use for the screen.

Rgds Steve.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

SteveBez,

Rotel have answered this question in some earlier threads. Net is:
    • The cards plug into a back panel
    • The back panel slots have relatively specific connectors (e.g. video OR digital OR audio) making mix and match difficult
    • A new card of the same type is possible
    • As of a few months ago Rotel didn't have any specific hardware upgrades planned - but they did have a list of firmware upgrades in mind.
    • Rotel didn't design the RSP-1098 with hardware upgradeability in mind - however this is possible
    • The RSP-1098 has more than the TFT Screen over the RSP-1068 - it has better power supplies (i.e. 3 discrete supplies for analog, video and digital and some better parts in key spots.

Listen and decide for yourself. If value is a key criterion - the RSP-1068 is likely to fit the bill.... However (as one would expect for the price difference) the RSP-1098 has (in high quality systems) a clear sound edge.

Geoff

Comment

• amix
      • May 2004

Geoff, what do you mean by "high-quality systems" regarding price of the speakers ? I ask, since I am in the position to decide wheter to get a 1098 or a 1069, should I go Rotel.
      Adios, amix :dothewave:
      Stereo: Rotel RA-840 BX4, Rotel RP-955 (Ortofon MC 15 Super), Nakamichi CR4, DBX DX-900, Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE, OCOS
      HTPC-Server: P4 1.8, ASUS p4PE, 512MB, 2x 250GB, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, G550DH, DVB-s, SATA HotSwap, GB-Lan

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Amix,

I'm talking about very revealing systems such as those with speakers like B&W Nautilus or 700 series, JMlabs Focal, Paradigm Signature or Reference Studio, Magnaplanars etc. When these are paired with carefully chosen cables and source materials (CD players, DVD players etc)...

Essentially the "extra" in the RSP-1098 is things like 3 separate power supplies (Analogue, Digital and Video), some better components and circuitry in key places (e.g. front channels). On the right system many people have heard the difference... However if you are not investing in matching high quality components you may be better putting the extra $1000+ into higher quality DVD, CD, amps etc...

Personally - I love my RSP-1098 - but the extra sound quality is not proportionate to the extra cost unless you have the system to reveal it...

Geoff

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"