X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gadgets
    • Dec 2003

RSP-1066 NEW OWNER

Hi all,

I just got here thanks to andrew's post in audioreview.com & i'm happy to know there is such a big community of Rotel products owners.

After many nights of crusing the web, I've decided to move on to seperates & started with an RSP 1066 & a nice 5 CH BOB CARVER Amp.

As many others here i've heared about this new upcomming model RSP-1068, but decided to skip the wait & the extra bucks & get the 1066 which i've got from my dealer for $1250 - sealed, his very last unit. (I think it's a good deal...)

As i'm still waiting for my speakers to come, i haven't even opened the box yet.

Now for the questions

1st, watching the back drawing of the rsx-1055/1065 & rsp-1066 and knowing they all use the exact same software, what is exactly the difference between the more expensive 1066 or just get a cheaper, more featured rsx-1055 & use it as a pre, tuner & amp for rears/surrounds ?

2nd, U got me all spooked with this removing parts / soldering stuff for this bass thing, tried this with my PS2 and ended throwing it to the dumpster & getting a new one.. can you eplain why do i - the simple user need to do that ?

3rd, Does the 2 ch botton is a direct stereo mode (a bypass) for a decent, old fasion analog music ?

Thank you all for your help, i'm proud to be a member in this forum, hope i'll enjoy this unit & lot more to come... (same goes for my questions.. .

:LOL: :roll: 8O :LOL:
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

1) The pricing in the USA is still curious to me, since in Europe the 1055 is more expensive than the 1066, but in the USA its reversed. Anyway, there is something to say for the 1055 in favor of the 1066. It has a tuner build in and already 5 channels of amplication. The pre-amp/processing part is exactly the same of the two units. So whats the advantage of the 1066? For me its seperation of concerns. There is no amplification and tuner to possibly disturb the processing part. While this is difficult to hear, to purists its very important. For me personally the 1055 also has too many buttons
    But if price is an issue, i would say get a 1055.

2) The bass management fix is not a matter of soldering but just cutting off two resistors. If you are unsure of this doing yourself contact Rotel to do it for you.

3) Yes, its pure analogue. The signal *IS* digitized to get a subwoofer channel out of it, however the output signal is the original analogue signal with tone control and volume control over it.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Welcome Gadgets

Let me elaborate a little on Scarp's comments...

1) I too chose the 1066 over the 1055 as I had no need for the additional amps, (no speakers or space for 7.1, no ability to bi-amp & no need for zone 2) I never listen to the radio, and I wanted THE best sonics available. With it's own power supply and nothing to interfere with it's processing the 1066 has better (although only ever so slightly) sonics. If any of those things is different for you and/or you'd like to save a couple hundred $'s then the 1055 might be for you.

2) Ditto what he said. However depending on your set up (size/capability of your speakers, how powerful of an amp etc.) and your personal preference, it may not even affect you. I run my speakers full range, no sub for music so the "bass fix" is not a concern for me.

3) Just to clarify, the digitized portion of the signal that is used to derive the sub output, as Scarp mentioned, is from a copy of the original signal. The original signal is sent through untouched.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• Gadgets
        • Dec 2003

Thanks for your help guys.. and sorry for asking the same questions running in your forum for a long time now... (it took me a while to find out that i'm repeating other users questions..)
        :roll:

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

No problem in asking the same questions

Btw, another advantage of seperate components is that you can upgrade them one by one. So if you get the 1066 first and later on want radio, then add a tuner of your choice, which doesn't necessarily needs to be a Rotel tuner (although they have a fine tuner (no pun intended)).

Same goes with amplification. You can more easily match your amps with your speakers, than is possible with a Receiver. Offcourse you can use additional amps with the 1055 too, but still the amplication is in the receiver.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"