RSX 1056: what exactly is LFE and what is the function in 2 channel mode?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DUCKY
    • Nov 2005

RSX 1056: what exactly is LFE and what is the function in 2 channel mode?

Sorry for no doubt a stupid question, but this is my first multi channel equiptment :roll:

On my RSX 1056 I can select 2-channel mode to get (I think) stereo sound, blocking all channels but the fronts. The first time I press the '2 ch' button I go into 2 channel + LFE mode. Push it again and I go to regular 2 channel.

If I understand correctly, LFE is a seperate stream (low frequency sound), the .1 in the 5.1 format. Right? If I select 2 channel mode+LFE, what is LFE doing? Why do I get more lows from my fronts when I turn LFE off? Is the LFE stream supposed to go to a sub even when using 2 channel? If so, what if (like me) you don't have a sub?

So many questions..........can somebody set me straight?

Lennart
  • fordster
    • Feb 2005

You've pretty much answered your own question. As you suspect LFE (low frequencey effect) is the subwoofer channel. The 2 channel mode either operates in bypass (L+R only) or 2ch with subwoofer (LFE) output. The amp then uses processing to redirect the bass below a certain frequency (configurable if I remember right) to your subwoofer. If you have no sub, you won't hear as much bass, hence why you're getting more bass from your fronts in bypass mode. The bypass mode is like using a standard stereo amp and turns off the amps processing.
    Dave

Comment

• moe32274
      • Nov 2005

Rsx 1056

Hey Ducky,

I'm looking at getting the 1056 in the near future. I'm wondering how long have you had yours and how much did you pay. (I'm asking so that I can negotiate a fair price with a local dealer here in NYC)

Thanks!

M.

Comment

• DUCKY
        • Nov 2005

moe32274, I got my 1056 receiver on sale, but I would guess it is hard to compare US prices to European prices. For what it's worth, I paid 1999 Euro for a set of RSX 1056 and a RDV 1060 (regular price for the set is 2999 Euro). I traded my 10 years old Arcam alfa 8 and 8P amp set in for a RB 1080 and ended up paying 1000 Euro for it (regular price 1500 Euro).

Good luck with the negotiations! :T

Lennart

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"