X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

What would you make?

I thought I'd post this question in the spirit of a couple threads Andrew started a while back. Rather than asking you what Rotel gear you'd like to upgrade to or what features you want improved on existing gear, I ask you this:

If you were working in Rotel's R&D department, what gear would be on your wish list for Rotel to make?

I'll start off with an easy one I think most of us will agree on. A universal DVD player.

Another suggestion which was brought up in a previous thread would be a "light" audio only version of the 1098. No TFT and no video inputs or switching. It would be entirely dedicated to audio and include at least one firewire port for hi-res multi-channel audio. Having no video components, hopefully the price could be somewhere between the 1066 and 1098 but include all of the 1098's sonic improvements. Then they could also sell a companion piece for anyone wanting video capabilites that could do video scaling, switching and distribution with things like DVI ins and outs. So it might end up more expensive in the long run but you could upgrade slowly with incremental investments plus as seperating a processor and amp helps audio I would imagine so would seperating audio and video.

Any other wishes?

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason
  • Glenn
    • Jun 2003

Rotel DVD-Recorder

I'll be waiting for the next generation of DVD-Recorders before dumping my VCR, but it would be nice to know that Rotel is currently working on one now, and that it would be on the market, ready for purchase, within a year for sure. I believe just recently Sony is the first player to address the compatibility issue of multiple formats available (ie. -R, -RW, +R, +RW, RAM). This abililty to address multiple formats would be critical.

Rotel SACD/DVD-Audio player

The universal SACD/DVD-Audio player, as you mentioned, would also be on my list. Again, the ability to address both formats is critical.

I know I will be adding these two components to my stereo system, (hopefully sooner than later, and the purchase delay mostly dependant on product selection). Since I like the sound and physical look (silver/black) of the Rotel products that I recently purchased, I would like to complete my system with more Rotel components. Fingers crossed that these two products are being considered by Rotel, for production in the very near future.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

DVD- recorder... I forgot about that one! Good suggestion Glenn!

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• Glenn
        • Jun 2003

Are we able to determine with absolute certainty, if either of these products are being planned for production by Rotel?

From recent Club Rotel discussions, I had concluded that the universal SACD/DVD-Audio player was a "No". But what about the DVD-Recorder? If I knew it was being developed, I'd wait for more news. If I knew it wasn't being planned for, I'd begin looking at other DVD-Recorder choices beginning this summer.

Comment

• Mark_C.
          • Jan 2003

How about the RCC-1055 CD changer adding SACD capability ala the now discontinued Sony ES CD changers (222, 333 and 555). I just purchased a Sony SCD-C222ES 5-disc changer over the RCC-1055 because of the SACD capability. Even my 13-year-old daughter was stunned by my decision favoring the Sony over the Rotel. "Dad. A Sony?'' she said as I placed the new changer in my audio stand.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Are we able to determine with absolute certainty, if either of these products are being planned for production by Rotel?
            I don't know anymore then you but honestly I'd be shocked if they were

Comment

• Glenn
              • Jun 2003

Maybe then, as Aud19 has suggested, Club Rotel should "assist" Rotel's R&D department

I "need" them to make these two products, so I can complete my HT/stereo system in Rotel fashion ...

Comment

• mazuly
                • Feb 2003

Hi,

1) Kick a** DVD player: I would like a replacement for RDV-1080 with DVI output. It would be nice if it is a universal player but not that necessary for me. I rather have Rotel spend the R&D on the video part. This player should have the ability to scale the DVD to 720P, 1080i or even 1080P and output it over DVI.

2) Kick A** CD player: I would like to have a CD player that is even better than RCD-1072. I still have over 600 CDs which I like to listen to

3) I agree with a DVD recorder as well

Thanks,
                Maziar

Comment

• Eiffel
                  • Aug 2003

I'd rather have Rotel focus on Audio (including multichannel devices), as this is what they're knowledgeable about. The video market evolves very fast, and many other companies focus on it with much bigger resources than Rotel can ever deploy.

If you want a kick-A** DVD video-only player that can output any resolution (including 1080i, p, 1386*768, you name it, over DVI, RGBHV, etc...), the best bang-for-the-buck these days is with a HTPC (A dedicated PC used as a DVD player can be very reliable, and as easy to use as a standalone device). Nothing below $10k can come close to it on movies or animation (video is another story though!)

Comment

• mazuly
                    • Feb 2003

Well I thought we were doing a wish list and my wish would be to have a kick-a** DVD player from Rotel. I like to keep my gear Rotel if possible. I have also looked into HTPCs and they are not for me. Too much tweaking required for my taste.

A hard drive Audio PC is another story. Would love to play all my CDs from the HD of a computer and have complete control over selection of music (NO MP3 FORMAT, PURE UNCOMRESSED WAVE FORMAT).

Hell while I am at it, I like to have Rotel build a HD Audio player controllable through computer software. It is a wish list after all

Thanks,
                    Maziar

Comment

• ht_addict
                      • Dec 2002

"light" audio only version of the 1098.
                      I think this would be a great idea for all those, myself included that only need something to decode the audio and send it to the amp. Then Rotel could also make a secondary unit that has all the bells and whistles if you need to add them later. We could call this "Seperate Seperates"

ht_addict

Comment

• Scarp
                        • Mar 2003

Why not make the 1098 modulair? So one can just choice the boards one wants. Also make improved versions of the add-on boards so, that one can choice for even better features for some part of his machine. Theta digital uses that method, one can choice of 3 types of DAC boards (normale, high and extreme). Also one could leave out the video processing.

Most importantly, they should make a 1098 without the TFT screen. This could be a lot cheaper than the normal version. This would be similar to the C1 and C2 from parasound (which are identical machines expect the C1 has a TFT screen and one extra component video output.

Comment

• spiffnme
                          • Apr 2003

I too am going to jump on the band wagon and say...

A kick *&! universal player. Denon seems to be running away with this market. I really want a ROTEL player that can compete with Denon's 5900.

My second suggestion would be an upgraded 1066. Either fix the current BM problem, or add some better BM, and some auto calibrating software like Pioneer's MCACC would be very, very cool.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
                          All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• eelco74
                            • Dec 2002

My list would be :

1) next generation 1066, with better bass management, more powerfull processor, a RDS-tuner and nicer LCD display. Or a scaled down RSP-1098.

2) Universal player, with Rotels CD quality. Bass management AND time alignment for SACD and DVD-A

3) 7 channel Power amp (a 1077, 7 x 120 Watt perhaps)

Oh and in order of buying, It would be 1,3,2.

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                            Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                            Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Jurgen
                              • Jul 2003

I would love to have a 5 channel amplifier, specifically based on complementing the rsx 1055 in bi amp mode. That means an amplifier with specs around 75 watts and the same gain characteristics as the internal amps of the 1055.
                              Many people, myself included, want to upgrade the 1055 by adding an external amp(as I already have done for the front speakers by bi amping them with 2 rb1070's), but have the feeling they can have an advantage gain by bi amping instead of buying a more expensive rmb1075 for single amp duties(and making the internal amps of the 1055 obsolete).

Regards,
                              Jurgen

Comment

• mutley
                                • May 2003

A DVD Player taht match the quality of Rotel's Processors (any of them)

Cause 1060 isn't better than Pioneer's 757, 868; Arcam's 88+; 89; Denon's 5900...

And Pioneer & Denon only make RECEIVERS...

Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true!
                                Gus

Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true!

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Wow! I go away on a business trip for a few days, catch a killer bug that knocks me on my butt (and hence my couch) for a few days and you fine folks come up with some great ideas At least I got to watch some movies and listen to some music while at home sick (Though the plugged ears did dampen the fun ) I wonder if Rotel appreciates the free market research we're doing ... Anyways, great ideas, keep them coming!

Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

I just thought of a couple other things this mystical "perfect" DVD player could have. Though I'm by no means holding my breath for many manufacturers let a lone a relatively small one like Rotel to add these features at least anytime soon.

The ability to decode and play back Windows Media 9 and Mpeg-4!! :P :P

Jason

Jason

Comment

• spiffnme
                                      • Apr 2003

Welcome back. Hope you're feeling better.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
                                      All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• Zed
                                        • Jun 2003

I know a lot of people aren't fans of changers but I would like to have a DVD-A changer. I like to listen to DVD-A but it sucks having to change the discs. Since people always ask this question I would make a volume knob that actually does glow blue. :T

My DVD Collection
                                        My DVD Collection

Comment

• DPA
                                          • Nov 2003

Sign me up for a kick a-- DVD...
                                          Id like the spec as for the new Pioneer 868 in a Rotel DVD...

I will buy the Pioneer now just because there aint a Rotel DVD that can match this one...

http://www.prisjakt.nu/galleri.php?user=Demon
                                          Demon Dungeon

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"