X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Rotel and New Formats

This question will bring up a lot of speculation, but I am hoping ot get some feedback from people who have been following rotel through the change of past formats.

I am curious to know how long it will be until Rotel releases audio and video products that will support the new format/formats. Will the compatibilty of the new lossless audio format be at least supported fairly soon since that aspect is not dependant on a certian "winner" in the format war?

Personally I am looking more forward to the new audio formats then I am the HD video.
    before 2007
    11.11%
    1 year
    26.67%
    until there is a clear winner
    62.22%
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Right now they're waiting until HDMI 1.3 is finalized. I believe that's the hold up on the RVE-1070 as well. The 1057 came out because it's just a switcher and not dependent on 1.3, but with the new stuff having HDMI as a vital integration point they want to make sure.

As I said in another post, due to so much money being spent licensing these new formats and connections do not expect an uber machine this time around. Most likely each model will be the same with just the ability to switch and decode the new formats.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bzrk
      • Oct 2005

huh... i thought 1.3 was only important for (HD)audio. Rve1070 is just a videoscaller/switcher isnt it? Nothing to do with audio.
      Gr. Sebastian

Comment

• boe
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
        As I said in another post, due to so much money being spent licensing these new formats and connections do not expect an uber machine this time around. Most likely each model will be the same with just the ability to switch and decode the new formats.

Kevin D.
        Could you clarify what you mean by this? The ability to decode the new formats is what I'm looking for. What would be more uber than being able to decode the new formats or am I misreading it and you are saying they won't have that ability?

Basically, True HD DD and DTS HD are the only things preventing me from buying a new preamp today.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

If you look at some of the "new feature" request threads dealing with the 1098 and 1068 replacements, you will find most people want 8000 new features in the next models. I was basically saying due to increased costs of licensing expect the 1098 replacement to be a 1098 with support (or future support) for the new formats, not a completely new unit.

There might be some new features that the new DSP chip supports, but only if they're easy to integrate.

As far as HDMI 1.3, I believe they are also addressing 1080p transfers and Rotel wants to make sure they can be at (or upgrade to) the new standard.

Kevin D.

Comment

• boe
            • Jul 2004

Thanks for clarifying. Those new formats would be enough get me to buy a new preamp. Too bad they couldn't include a few more goodies though. I'd think with over two years, they could add quite a few new features though - just my opinion of course.

Any good newsgroups for Denon? I'm curious if they have a preamp in the works of if it was just talk.

Comment

• EAmin
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by bzrk
              huh... i thought 1.3 was only important for (HD)audio. Rve1070 is just a videoscaller/switcher isnt it? Nothing to do with audio.
              I believe I read that HDMI 1.1 supports a 1080P video only. No need for 1.3 for the RVE-1070.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by EAmin
                I believe I read that HDMI 1.1 supports a 1080P video only. No need for 1.3 for the RVE-1070.
                Just passing along what I know about why the 1070 isn't out yet.. Not sure what they are planning.

Kevin D.

Comment

• EAmin
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
                  Just passing along what I know about why the 1070 isn't out yet.. Not sure what they are planning.

Kevin D.
                  You do a great job passing along what you know as the moderator of this forum. Kudos!

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by EAmin
                    If it's acting as a switcher 1.3 would likely be needed to be able to pass the HD-audio formats along to the receiver/pre....?
                    Jason

Comment

• alpina
                      • Nov 2005

any update on timing?

julie
                      My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• marano
                        • May 2006

I'm in the market for a RSX-1057 and e-mailed Rotel about supporting the HDMI 1.3 specification, here's what they had to say:

" For all practical reasons HDMI 1.3 is not relevant to our
                        business today and models we have designed today, Processors & Surround
                        Sound Receivers, will take a long time to upgrade to HDMI 1.3.

While HDMI 1.3 could be added to some equipment, there are no
                        products on the market today that have support for HDMI 1.3. The first
                        source will be the Sony PS3 followed by Blu-ray and HD DVD. To utilize
                        the new features of HDMI 1.3 (Higher resolution, more audio
                        capabilities, deep color, a new video processor would have to be used).

HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth from 165 MHz (4.95
                        Gbps) to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future HD display
                        devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates. In
                        addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical
                        foundations that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly
                        higher speeds.

This is great, however Rotel AVR all have a maximum output
                        resolution of 1080P (~150MHz) so the additional bandwidth is really not
                        needed. The National Chip can only handle a bandwidth of 1080 max so
                        this would also have to be changed to utilize the additional bandwidth.

Deep Color: HDMI 1.3 supports 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or
                        YCbCr) color depths, up from the 24-bit depths in previous versions of
                        the HDMI specification.

We use the National device that only supports up to 24-bit RGB
                        and 16 bit YCrCb.

Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using
                        increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity
                        and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user
                        devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require
                        complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates automatic
                        video/audio synching capabilities that allows devices to perform this
                        synchronization automatically with total accuracy.

This is a great new feature since HDMI 1.1 audio is not the most
                        robust implementation so this is a major improvement.

New Lossless Audio Formats: In addition to HDMI's current
                        ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and all
                        currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby. Digital and
                        DTS.), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new, lossless compressed
                        digital audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

New models will have to be designed with new processors to
                        support these new audio standards.

I know that once a new standard is called out everyone will
                        demand this standard. It is my belief that it will be 6 months before
                        we can get our hands on HDMI 1.3 chips (Big boys get first dibs it
                        seems) and then we will have our development and test time and then we
                        will be socked with HDMI 1.3 testing which will probably take another 6
                        months. Therefore, it is my opinion that we are at least 18 months way
                        from a HDMI 1.3 solution.

The HDMI website:

How will consumers know which products have the latest
                        implementation of HDMI 1.3?

Consumers should not look for a particular version of HDMI, but
                        rather for the functionality that they want the device to support (Deep
                        Color, specific audio formats, etc.). Alternatively, consumers can look
                        for support for these features called out in the manufacturer's product
                        information"

HDMI 1.3 maybe coming but it's coming slowly and not as fast as
                        the press might have us believe. You will need a new screen and new
                        source player to make the most of HDMI 1.3 but the screen will be the
                        most important so when screens take a step above 1080P and go for 30 bit
                        color then we have to really take notice.

Best Regards,

Technical Support
                        B&W Group USA
                        B&W / Rotel / Classe / I-Command"

Comment

• Marlboroman
                          • Aug 2005

Wow, that it one of the best responses I have seen from a tech support department in a long time. It sounds like they are really on top of their stuff.

Comment

• ICEMAN70
                            • Apr 2006

"I know that once a new standard is called out everyone will
                            demand this standard. It is my belief that it will be 6 months before
                            we can get our hands on HDMI 1.3 chips (Big boys get first dibs it
                            seems) and then we will have our development and test time and then we
                            will be socked with HDMI 1.3 testing which will probably take another 6
                            months. Therefore, it is my opinion that we are at least 18 months way
                            from a HDMI 1.3 solution.
                            "

It is funny how they say the (Big boys get first dibs it seems). I bet big mass receiver companies like DENON got their hands on it already.

That's a very good response from Rotel.

Comment

• Boone38
                              • Dec 2004

I find it more intresting that they referred to the screen as the most important. Most sets will not allow anything above 1080p currently. I think the 18 months may be a low projection. Unless someone is aware of new sets that are already on the market with the 1.3 version.

Comment

• marano
                                • May 2006

I was also very impressed with the response and what was even more impressive was that I received it only a few hours after I asked the question. Just another reason to go Rotel with my next receiver purchase.

Comment

• alpina
                                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Boone38
                                  I find it more intresting that they referred to the screen as the most important. Most sets will not allow anything above 1080p currently. I think the 18 months may be a low projection. Unless someone is aware of new sets that are already on the market with the 1.3 version.
                                  i would like to think that the soon to be released pioneer 50" 1080p will have 1.3 - kindof of defeats the purpose a little if it doesn't.

julie
                                  My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"