X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

2nd RSP 1068 Dead, Any alternatives?

Hopefully someone at Rotel in Australia may read this.

After waiting 3 weeks for it, and then having to send back my first 1068 processor (at my expense) because it had no output signal for the subwoofer or centre speaker, I thought surely they will ensure the replacement unit is working properly.

I was happy to see that "Checked and Working" (quality assurance lol ?) was written on the box when the courier arrived 3 weeks later with my 2nd (supposedly new ?) unit, but to my dissappointment I found problems with this one as well.

I guess it was not quite dead, as it does work, just not properly.

The second unit has a clicking or ticking like a clock noise from the rear speakers in DD/DTS or any other surround mode at loud volumes 65-75, but stereo works fine.

It also has an intermittent flickering of the picture when watching dvd's.

Thirdly when I have the input set to vcr (without any tape actually playing) I get a screen with a lot of jumping lines instead of a steady blank background. When I push play on the vcr the picture is fine.

I have disconnected my vcr and and the problems still occurr.

I disconnected the component pass through (through 1068) and have run the component leads directly from the dvd player to the tv and the problem ceased, so I know the Rotel unit is the cause.

My dealer offerred my money back which is very tempting.

What do I do? Would a repair job be too complex with all these problems? and would that just be asking for more problems?

What other similarly priced processors are available?

Are Outlaw units available in Australia? I have never seen them out here.

thanks guys from Mr "Not Happy" (bleeding ears)
    Last edited by bleeding ears; 14 November 2005, 11:41 Monday. Reason: error
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Get your money back, and if you like the unit, tell them you want to order a brand new unit (factory sealed from Rotel)... and try that.

If you are at your last ends... I'd look for another model or manufacturer...

I would not (however) get it fixed again... I expect a completely new and working unit when I buy my stuff...not a "fixed unit."
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Sorry to hear your issues. Sometimes things are not meant to be. The DVD issues is probably related to the PROGRESSIVE menu settings, and the VCR problem might be a TBC (time-based-correction) issues with your VCR and TV, this usually only when using the upconversion to component though. However, the ticking sounds like the initial run popping issue and is not right at all.

I think Geoff has some contacts down there, he should be on later and have some thoughts.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Spearmint
        • Sep 2004

Sorry to read about your problems…

Why was the first unit sent back for repairs/exchange at your expense?

I am with PewterTA on this I would get a full refund and get another brand new unit, or better still get the dealer to swap this unit with a new one.

As Kevin has said hopefully Geoff might be able to flex some muscle with the distributors.
        Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• bleeding ears
          • Nov 2004

Spearmint, the original unit was sent back at my expense because I purchased the unit from a dealer in another state (because i thought it was a great deal LOL) and the Rotel warranty document says that it is the responsibility of the customer to get the unit back to the dealer and to pay for any insurance and/or shipping charges.
          Paragraph 2 (e) to be exact

The warranty document also states that it is their option as to whether they repair or replace the unit, not mine.

So considering the above, it is actually Rotels decision (or the dealer I guess) whether I get a new one or whether I get a repair done. Not sure if the above includes getting a different repaired unit instead? which I may have got as a replacement unit.

Apparently the original 1068 I purchased was an ex demo unit (with full 3 year warranty) which didnt bother me, thats why it was so cheap I guess, but it doesnt seem like a bargain now! LOL

Considering the unit may be an ex demo, I can see why the dealer is reluctant to give me a brand new one, he would probably be losing money on the sale but he has offered me my money back which is fair I guess.

The problem is after spending lots of money on speakers etc I will be left without a processor to run everything and I dont know of any processors that can do as good a job at a similar price. So i do actually want this unit and like the sound of it when it works.

some may say I got what I paid for, well I say I dont mind ex demo, but I would have like it if they had told me it wasnt working before I bought it.

Have I been ripped off? maybe/ maybe not, but if the unit doesnt get fixed properly by my local dealer, which I reckon is a high probability, well I may have a battle on my hands.

Buyer beware

What do you guys reckon?

Thanks Pete ( Bleeding Bloody Ears )

Comment

• Spearmint
            • Sep 2004

Ahhhh okay thanks for the info about the unit.

I personally do not believe you have been ripped off, if you are happy with the price you paid and also purchased through a legitimate Rotel dealer with full 3year warranty then what have you got to loose.

Obviously you would prefer to have the1068 as your processor, therefore I would wait to see if Geoff can be of assistance with International Dynamics, you might be able to bypass the dealer and get some positive resolution to the faults.
            Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Pete,

I've sent you a PM with the right contact in International Dynamics... You should get a working unit... Unfortunately the fact that it was an out of State ex demo unit makes the new swap hard (it is up to the dealer to do this for demos).... (I recommend to other Aussies not to buy out of State unless they have personally visited and know the dealer)

Outlaw units are not available in Australia...

The closest competitor I know is the Sherwood Newcastle P-965 which is on special for Aussie $1795 from here. Nice unit HT is arguably as good as the RSP-1068 but IMO stereo not quite as good... It does have some wiz bang features though such as (if you get a latest shipment unit0 automatic room calibration etc…)

I'd keep the RSP-1068 – but the Sherwood is a good alternative...

Geoff

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"