X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cooldmitriy
    • Oct 2005

Rotel DVD players

What makes ROTEL DVD players special? Would I notice any diffirence in the sound quality comming from Toslink output of my $65 DVD player and a ROTEL one?

I've heared about good transporting mechanism in Rotel. My only concern that many cheap DVD players can be easily converted to free-zone DVD players, that is not possible with ROTEL (I live in the US).

Thx
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Cooldmitriy
    What makes ROTEL DVD players special? Would I notice any diffirence in the sound quality comming from Toslink output of my $65 DVD player and a ROTEL one?

Thx
    Yes, mostly due to wow flutter and jitter. Secondarily due to data errors from the ultra cheap loader that one would necessarily find in a $65 DVD player.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Cooldmitriy
      • Oct 2005

Jerry,

Is digital signal comming via Toslink cable from $65 and $500 Rotel unit any diffirent? It's digital, so must be identical. Am I correct?

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Jerry,

Is digital signal comming via Toslink cable from $65 and $500 Rotel unit any diffirent? It's digital, so must be identical. Am I correct?
        Yes, and no! You need to get those 0's and 1's error free off the disk, if not, error correction (and/or other tricks) will try and 'guess' what the data should be - guessing is not an exact art and sometimes the differences will be audible. Ideally, you don't want error correction to intervene at all.

So, a good transport is built to reduce disk read errors, meaning less or no guesses. In this respect, the digital stream from a $65 player can be very different to that of a $500 player.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Jerry,

Let me ask you this?...

Is a 87 Hyundai Pony the same result as a 05 Porsche Carrera GT? They both use gasoline engines to combust fossil fuel and send power via a transmission to their driving wheels....? Try not to oversimplify things and disregard the quality of the components used in the process
          Jason

Comment

• Cooldmitriy
            • Oct 2005

Aud19, I respect your oppinion and of course we all know the answer to your question,but my pint was that both units Rotel and a cheap $65 DVD player provide digital audio signal to a reciver to further decoding.
            I know that video signal quality can't be compared, but my question was only about audio signa; and not video.

Peace. :T

Comment

• Boombox
              • Oct 2005

I agree with aud19....
              My RDV1040 is the entry level Rotel DVD player, but in terms of sound reproduction it out performs my previous Yamaha DVD player (by the way, the Yamaha player I bought on sale was at the time was 100 euros more expensive than the most expensive Panasonic DVD player they had). The Rotel was the same price this year as that of the Yamaha 2 years ago!! And I live in South Africa where electronics are 10x more expensive than USA or Europe, not to mention the East....sorry, I'm getting off the point.

What I want to say is that there is a very good reason for paying a little extra...
              Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

... and there is also very good reason for paying for no more than you need.

Cooldmitriy -- I also would bet the Rotel audio digital out will outperform that of the cheaper player... but none of us can say whether you would hear the difference... the only way you'll know for sure is to compare for yourself... if you hear no difference, keep the cheaper player and consider yourself lucky... obviously, this is easier said than done depending on your retailer.

I'm sure you'd like assurance that your player -- which does the things you're most interested in (region-free) -- is no less an audio performer than the Rotel... but only you can make that call by auditioning... all we (I) can do is suggest that it's unlikely.
                greg (gd to you)
                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Cooldmitriy,

Just yesterday I upgraded my DVD player from a Pioneer Elite DV45A to Rotel RDV-1050 and there is an noticable improvement in sound quality, I also have a Kenwood Soverign DVD Changer and the audio on the Rotel is much better as well. I think that you would really be happy with the upgrade, hopefully you have a dealer that will let you take it home for the weekend to try.

Robert P
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

It all comes down to the parts that make up the whole. Digital is Digital as long as the complete signal can reach the other side complete.

Like anything else better is better. Audio in DVD players do improve. If you take to time to listen , you will hear differences. A cheap player is a cheap player. They are going to give you the worse performance. Once you start going up the ladder, you will find other benefits as well.

Cheap DVD player look horrible. The video secton in some of them are un watchable on better HDtv sets. You see all the flaws in the video. Some ( No names ) are even blurry.

It commes down to this, are you willing to spend some money to get better performance then what you have now? 99.9999999% of the time the higher end player will perfrom better then the lower end model. Not many cases can you have a cheap player outperform a higher end player. If that where the case , all of us would have a cheap player. I know I would if I didn't need to spend all the money I have on mine (1200.00)

mantis

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

After my RDV-1050 took a dump, I plugged in an ole' cheapo DVD player, that normally serves part time duties in one of the guest rooms, into my main system. I would rather put up with a lesser player than no player at all. Suffice it to say, the video quality of it was actually pretty good not quite as crisp as my Rotel, but something that I could live with for longer than I would want to.

Audio on the other hand... NO CONTEST. My Rotel blows it out of the room. In fact the difference is so obvious I actually cringe a little when I first turn the dud on. I acclimate to the beast after some time passes but I am always aware that it is there. I really miss my 1050 when I am forced to listen to the Box-Mart brand (Actually it is a very popular brand and they license their transports to other manufactures. Take a guess who?!).

What makes Rotel DVD players so special is their ability to look like, feel like and sound like high end gear all for a modest price. They are not the "best" players you can buy, but they fit their niche perfectly.
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• DrJRapp
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2003

James

Is your connection Toslink or digital coax?
                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Digital coax (and 6 channel analog with the RDV-1050).
                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• bigburner
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                            Just yesterday I upgraded my DVD player from a Pioneer Elite DV45A to Rotel RDV-1050
                            Soundgravy, did you consider the 1040 or 1060? If so, why did you end up choosing the 1050?

Comment

• Cooldmitriy
                              • Oct 2005

Guys,

Is anyone from USA could share with me good retail prices for ROTL DVD player? I just want to make sure that my dealer doesn't make extra $$$ on me :T

Will I be able to play PAL DVDs on North American unit. I made several PAL Region 1 DVDs from Region 5

Thank you all in advance

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"