X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TNTate
    • Apr 2010

CDM NT Series questions

Hello, This world of HiFi / HT is new to me and I need help. I was recently looking to replace my small center channel speaker for my meager 3.1 home theater setup. After visiting the big box store I thought I might find a nice used piece at a local stereo shop, what costly mistake! I did not purchace anything that day but I did hear a pair of 805S's playing. They blew me away! I did not realize home audio could sound that good Anyway, I recently picked up a pair of CDM 1NT's (the 805 far exceeds my current budget) and am working on a great sounding system on a budget. I know they are aged pieces but they do employ Nautilus technology.

A few questions:

How close can these come to the 805 sound? How do I get there?
    Is the CDM CNT center the only way to go for my 3.1. Will another B & W center work?
    I believe that I will go with an Oynko or Integra high line receiver in the end. Any thoughts about how these pair with B & W speakers. Both B & W dealers locally rave about their Integra line...

Sorry for the long post, I am hungry for information.
    Last edited by TNTate; 02 April 2010, 00:02 Friday.
  • leej
    • Feb 2009

I used the CDM1nt's with a CDMcnt, previously and loved the sound. I have to assume that you purchased these used and are open to buying a used center. My suggestion would be to wait for the oppertunity to add a CDMcnt. These come up often on A-gon and other places, so a little paitience and you can match them, perfectly (looks, color and sound). And yes, they do use some Nautilus Technology.

I used mine with a Denon 3808 and was pleased with the results. A high end Onkyo should work fine. Of course, there are always better options, but I undrstand about budgets. I think that you will enjoy these, as they are as close as you can come to the 805's and stay within a budget.
    Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
    B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

The CDMCNT is the center channel to get. It's basically the CDM1NT in a different shaped cabinet with magnetic shielding.

As for how the CDM1Nts compare to 805Ss, fairly well. The 805S is a better speaker, it has a smoother tweeter and better bass. The midrange is also more open on the 805S. All of that comes at a price however. I think you will really like the CDM1NT if you liked the 805S.

Eric

Comment

• TNTate
        • Apr 2010

Thank you. I really appreciate your response.

Are there any classifieds in this forum from members? How come I can't find many posts about receivers? Are receivers shunned by most B & W owners? If so, why do both of my local dealers really talk up Integra receivers?

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"