X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdram
    • Mar 2005

1068 on the way...

Hurray! Finally get to put the receiver into another room, ordered a RSP 1068 today. Should be here middle of next week. I have to admit though, I broke the golden rule again. Only two Rotel dealers in the area and neither has a 1068 on display to audition. So I'm buying this without hearing it first. 8O

Auditioned the 1098 and liked that, so I'm hoping the 1068 is close in sound quality. From what I've read here and elsewhere, I don't think I'll be too disappointed.

Will there be much break in time involved, or will this baby rock right out of the box? Any quirks during setup I should look for?

Patiently waiting.....
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Congrats rd, it's a bute. Anything I purchased new from Rotel was a little clinical, sterile sounding if you will, but after a couple of weeks they relax oh so nicely. It certainly won't sound bad out of the wrapper, just stiff. Read the manual, it is an intelligent machine, so there are lots of options. Again, way to go, and enjoy.......

Comment

• tomm
      • Oct 2005

well done rd. i ordered one today and i didn't audition either but it should be an improvement over my 3805!

Comment

• Taito
        • Sep 2004

Congrats to both of you. It didn't take you too long tomm!

Comment

• bzrk
          • Oct 2005

ive ordered mine too

plus a rmb 1077....
          Gr. Sebastian

Comment

• tomm
            • Oct 2005

i had more luck selling my 3805 by getting it out of the box and using than i did trying to sell in new in the box! anyway it's sold and i look forward to the 1068 and next it's the 1080.

Comment

• rdram
              • Mar 2005

tomm...bzrk, way to go. Must have been 1068 week. soundhound-dealer asked me if I knew what RTFM meant. Yeah, yeah I told him. Already downloaded the pdf so I can rip and plug wires when it gets here.

tomm...makes me wonder. Other than speakers (which I'm assuming everybody has to audition first), just how much electronic gear is bought on reputation alone.

Comment

• bzrk
                • Oct 2005

Uh yeah i also ordered it "unheard" but.... ive always had rotel gear so i think i wont be disappointed at all
                Gr. Sebastian

Comment

• bzrk
                  • Oct 2005

ive also ordered an rel storm 5
                  Gr. Sebastian

Comment

• Bostonears
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by rdram
                    Other than speakers (which I'm assuming everybody has to audition first), just how much electronic gear is bought on reputation alone.
                    I insisted on listening to a 1068 at my dealer before I pulled out my wallet, even though he did not have one on display and had to open a sealed box. Since I ended up buying it, he didn't have to worry, although it would be rude to make a dealer do that if you were just kickin' the tires. (Not that you must buy a piece of gear if you make a dealer set it up, but you should only do so if you are serious about buying it.)

However, I ordered my Hsu subwoofer direct from the manufacturer, sight unseen (sound unheard?), and I'm glad I did. It sounds incredible.

Comment

• rdram
                      • Mar 2005

Well, its here. :B Picked it up yesterday midday. To say there was a learning curve would have been an understatement!! I've had my receiver now for just about 5 years, and could operate it blindfolded. The 1068 is not so user friendly...or should I say "newbie friendly". If I had posted last night, I would have said..."Where's the bass?" I was ready to list the 1068 on Audigon last night!!! Watched "Stealth"...great movie...no bass. Anyway......

I found the bass this morning....after an hour of frigin' around, I realized I had to go into the subwoofer setup menu and select "no" for crossover. My sub has a variable crossover with no way to defeat...Now we've got bass! I've got about 8 hours on it it, and would have to say... Wow! What I've been missing. Clarity of vocals stands out. With movies and SACD's/DVDA's. Two channel is awesome! Couple questions for all you Rotel experts...

One...tell me... there's no way to select DTS Neo:6 with the remote when listening to CD's??? I have to get up and push a button on the front panel???

Two...I've got my CD player setup on the input menu with analog...bypass. I also have a digital coax cable hooked up between the 1068 and my CD player. Is there any way...with the remote, to switch between the analog and digital input?

Third...should I have hooked up the 1068 to a PC for an update before I got it all setup?

Thanks to all you Rotel owners who's posts made it easy to select a new pre/pro.

Rich

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

One: If you are using the analog bypass you can not use Neo:6 to listen with it. You can select it by using the remote (has the 1050 remote right? You slide down the bottom part and press the SUR+ button then use the "-" and "+" to rotate through the sound selections. If you want it perminent, you need to set it up in the Input selection menu for the CD input.

Two: The only way you can do it is hook up the CD as an analog connection to the CD input on the receiver, then hook up the digital coax to it and set one of the Various inputs to that digital connection. SO say V2 = Coax Digital connection 2. Then you can switch between the CD and V2 inputs with the remote.

Third, if you don't have a PC close enough to the 1068, it probably would've made it easier....
                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                        -Dan

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

1) Hitting the SUR+ button to get into the main surround modes, then hit the right(+) button to change through all the modes. When you get to NEO6, hit the SUR+ and (+) again to select between music and cinema.

2) You can use the D-SLT button to cycle through all digital inputs and analog. It will return to your default selection the next time you choose that input.

3) Depending upon what version you have, maybe. Hold down MUTE and see what the display says.

4) (this wasn't a question you asked) If setting the sub crossover to NO gave you sound, you have something else set up wrong. You want to turn the sub crossover all the way up on your sub and use the settings in the Rotel. Start looking at all the crossover settings and the large/small speaker settings.

Kevin D.

Comment

• rdram
                            • Mar 2005

Thanks guys...that was what I was looking for.

Dan...I want to leave analog-bypass as the default, Just wanted to know if there was a way to cycle thru the surround modes...and there is. :T

Kevin...I held down the mute button and got V 1.2.4-050906.?? What's that mean?

As far as your #4-it wasn't that there was no sound, just not much bass. I've always wondered...with my receiver, I had a fixed 80 Hz crossover, feeding a sub with a variable crossover. Two crossovers working in parallel and it was just a WAG where to set my sub. With the 1068, when I set the crossover to "none", I'm using the crossover on the sub. Seems to work fine. I'll try cranking the sub x-over up all the way and set the Rotel X-over to what???

Rich

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

You have software version 1.2.4, which is actually two steps above what's available at Rotel's website. You should be good for a while..

Typically you would start the sub at 80hz and work from there. If setting it to that doesn't get you enough output, you either have your main speakers crossover too low or have some set to LARGE.

It's all about what sounds good, so if you are set where you are now, no reason to go flub it up.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"