X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiki
    • Sep 2004

Ordered my 705 !!!

Just ordered the 705 + HTM7 from the dealer, very nervous, exicted and 'scared', never spended that much money at once !!!

Now it's the time to think about speaker cables (QED, Nordost), stands (should I go for the B&W one?), I'll bi-wired my front, should I do the same to the HTM7 as well?

Thinking of getting the Rotel 1068+1075 for AUD$3000, but I blow the budget on speaker, should I cut down to around AUD$2000 or less and look at something else? (1066+1075 is around AUD$2000)

My heart still pumping hard!!! This is my first ever hifi system in my life!! :P
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Congratulations!

Kiki,

Just ordered the 705 + HTM7 from the dealer, very nervous, excited and 'scared', never spended that much money at once !!!
    Congratulations!
    Now it's the time to think about speaker cables (QED, Nordost), stands (should I go for the B&W one?)
    Stands - the B&W once are very nice and provide a secure mounting - depends on the price you can get from the dealer.... Aussie isn't well served for alternative stands and the dealer has a good margin on stands so I'd see if you can get them are a good discount - they really finish the speaker off well and a good stand improves / tightens the sound....

Cables - well they are all good brands with quote different price structures - see if your dealer will let you audition them in-store - you will soon know what you want... Of course forum sponsor www.catcables.com makes nice cables as well...
    I'll bi-wired my front, should I do the same to the HTM7 as well?
    Absolutely - the HTM7 and 705s are very close matches for drivers and sound - bi-wire both for seamless front soundstage...

Thinking of getting the Rotel 1068+1075 for AUD$3000, but I blow the budget on speaker, should I cut down to around AUD$2000 or less and look at something else? (1066+1075 is around AUD$2000)
    No doubt go for the Rotel 1068 and 1075 - they will make your speakers sing.... The 1066 is good but for stereo quality and the new DPL IIx modes the 1068 is just a great investment...

My heart still pumping hard!!! This is my first ever hi fi system in my life!!
    And that's half the fun!

Geoff

Comment

• hired goon
      • Aug 2004

No doubt go for the Rotel 1068 and 1075 - they will make your speakers sing.... The 1066 is good but for stereo quality and the new DPL IIx modes the 1068 is just a great investment...
      I was recommending the 1066 a while back, because you can pick it up for AUD$1000, whereas the 1068 is about AUD$2000. I eventually went back to the 1068 because I reckon its decoding (stereo, dolby, dts) is superior to the 1066, and this justified the price difference (for me at least). DPL IIx is nice, but it's not essential.

However, I can still highly recommend the 1066. You can use the saved AUD$1000 for lots of other goodies: an RCD-1072 cd player, or a pair of B&W 602 S3 for the rears, or an RMB-1080 to drive the 705s, etc.

I would highly recommend a listening test between the 1066 and the 1068, just so that you can be sure which processor you prefer. However, not many Rotel dealers in Australia stock the 1066 -- ring around and see if there's one in your area. If that's not possible, see if your dealer can source a 1066, so that you can test it for a week or so. But make sure you can upgrade it to a 1068 if you're a not satisfied.

BTW, I'm also looking into the B&W 705 for my fronts -- I'd be interested in your opinion on how yours work out with the Rotel amps (remember to give the speakers a few weeks to break-in).

Comment

• kiki
        • Sep 2004

Thanks Aussie and hired goon,
        I went to a retailer who carry Rotel and NAD, he try the Nad T163+T973, he told me that B&W is a 'bright' speaker, you need warmer amp like NAD to go with them is better. He said Rotel is good, but he will prefer NAD with B&W.

Comment

• hired goon
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by kiki
          I went to a retailer who carry Rotel and NAD, he try the Nad T163+T973, he told me that B&W is a 'bright' speaker, you need warmer amp like NAD to go with them is better. He said Rotel is good, but he will prefer NAD with B&W.
          I do like NAD (I was contemplating a T773 at one stage, before I decide on seperates), but the T973 was around AUD$3500, and the T163 around AUD$2000, so at AUD$5500 they are out of my price range (or, for that kind of money, I would have opted for Musical Fidelity over NAD). Which is why I went for Rotel 1068 + 1075, which came to just AUD$3000.

Did you test both NAD + B&W against Rotel + B&W?

Comment

• kiki
            • Sep 2004

The retailer try the NAD t163+t973 on some B&W800 series, but he didnt try it on the 700 series. No, I didnt try the rotel, havent got enought time to do it all.

You can get 1068+1075 for AUD$3000 in Brisbane? In vic, there is only 1 retailer give me that price, others are AUD$3200 the lowest. But the one sell me cheaper, I'm not fully trust him, he got them (1068+1075) in the shop for quite sometime already, and I think he's going to sell me that one, does it matter?

For NAD, I can get T773 for AUD$2300(3 months ago), is that good prices? Havent ask the T163+T973 yet, I'm sure he can give me better deal than others. What if the NAD pre/power is around AUD$3500-$3800, will you get it ?

For speaker stand, should I buy the B&W one? is around $450. Another option is thinking of design it by myself, (I'm a designer, I done a few pieces of furniture my self), I think it will cost around AUD$250.

Which speaker cables are you using? I saw lots of good cable on ebay, good prices. Quote in local retailer for QED silver anniversary bi-wired for L/R and center around 8m total for AUD$500, very expensive.

Comment

• hired goon
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by kiki
              The retailer try the NAD t163+t973 on some B&W800 series, but he didnt try it on the 700 series. No, I didnt try the rotel, havent got enought time to do it all.
              I would strongly suggest that you audition any proposed amp on the B&W 705s.

You can get 1068+1075 for AUD$3000 in Brisbane? In vic, there is only 1 retailer give me that price, others are AUD$3200 the lowest. But the one sell me cheaper, I'm not fully trust him, he got them (1068+1075) in the shop for quite sometime already, and I think he's going to sell me that one, does it matter?
              Around AUD$3000-AUD$3200 seems to be the current price point. It depends on how good a customer you've been in past, sometimes, to get lower than AUD$3100.

For NAD, I can get T773 for AUD$2300(3 months ago), is that good prices?
              Considering that RRP is AUD$3300, then AUD$2300 for the NAD T773 is a great price.

Havent ask the T163+T973 yet, I'm sure he can give me better deal than others. What if the NAD pre/power is around AUD$3500-$3800, will you get it ?
              I haven't listened to the NAD pre/pro + amp, only the integrated receivers.

For speaker stand, should I buy the B&W one? is around $450. Another option is thinking of design it by myself, (I'm a designer, I done a few pieces of furniture my self), I think it will cost around AUD$250.
              I think you can pick up decent stands (actually, copies of the B&W stands, IIRC) for around AUD$300 or so.

Which speaker cables are you using? I saw lots of good cable on ebay, good prices. Quote in local retailer for QED silver anniversary bi-wired for L/R and center around 8m total for AUD$500, very expensive.
              Nothing of note at the moment, but when I get my new speakers, this will change (though I'm still deciding). Maybe someone else can answer this question...

-- Geoff

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                • May 2004

congrats Kiki, I couldn't sleep well the night before I got my 601s...hehehe....and you're going to the 700s, just imagine what I'd do. Enjoy them

Comment

• kiki
                  • Sep 2004

Going to pick up my 705+htm7 tomorrow, cant wait !!! and you know what, I actually take half a day off. my boss though I going to see doctor!!! I told him I'm going to pick up my baby, hahaha, his is getting into hifi stuff aswell influnce by me, ^__^.

Comment

• kiki
                    • Sep 2004

Got my 705+htm7 and Rotel 1068+1075 at home now, still looking for cable to hook them all up. B&W suggest Chord Company cable.

Comment

• nyny
                      • Jul 2004

kiki---congrats on your new system. i have the same setup - 705 fronts and surrounds, htm7 center, 1068/1075. i am currently using cobalt cable between my rcd-1072, pre/pro, amp, and speakers - love the sound. you might want to check it out. enjoy your new system :T
                      Tony

Comment

• ekkoville
                        • Aug 2004

Kiki, what did you decide on for stands. Nyny, what did you get for stands, I have seen pics of your gear, can't remember what you had. Also, did you find a warmer sound with the Rotel and B&W combo or a more crisp/less low end feel with the 705's.

Erik

Comment

• kiki
                          • Sep 2004

nyny, thanks, I'll find out more about the cobalt cable, they look nice.

ekkoville, for stand, I'll going to design it my self (using a beautiful old timber post and spike on top and bottom). Seen pics of my gear? nope man, never post it before. 705 is a very sweet sounding but not much low bass (it's not a floor stand). Do you know that rotel and B&W are working "together" to test their speakers and amps. They are a very very good match, go and audition your self or read thread in the forum, you'll find many many owner of B&W+Rotel very happy.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"