X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charles17
    • Oct 2005

Rotel & Denon

Hi,

I love good sound in 2 channel. My HT system must be great to listen to music and great for watching movie - in that order of priority.

At present I have a Denon 1602 surround amp that I never listen to music, but is fine for movies. I want to remedy my not listening to music, so am planning to upgrade my amp.

Reviews on Denon 2805 are rave, but I do love Rotel sound and am also looking at the Rotel RSX 1056.

As a newbie, I would value input from both sides! Does anyone have experience of both?

Thanks a lot.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Denon (IMO) sucks for 2ch listening. They are absolutely terrible for that. Great for HT, but not for listening. The Rotel will blow you away for 2ch listening. Along with getting a good CD player as well! But you will instantly notice the difference with the RSX-1056. If you are going to do the upgrade, I'd highly recommend something more like the RSP-1068/98 and RMB-1075/95-1070/80 combination. The 1068/98 are even better for 2ch listening than the 1056.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• eelco74
      • Dec 2002

I have had a Denon 3801 and tried the 3803. Both were prettty bad in Stereo.

The 1056 will sound way better in Stereo. The difference in 6.1 will be less obvious. However the overall soundstage is better. With the Denon I had sound coming from 5 speakers. With my 1068 I sit in the middle of the sound and the speakers placement is less obvious.
      Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
      Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
      Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

I had a denon 1905 and wen to a rotel rsx 1055. The difference was huge and something anyone could notice. 2 CH, and HT both inproved dramatically.

Comment

• charles17
          • Oct 2005

Thanks for feedback and comments. As I have a very limited budget the 1056 is the upper end of my budget. I would love to go the seperate route, but when I win the lotto!!!!

I have a Denon 2900 DVD which is great, so I am hoping will partner well.

All feedback and thoughts welcome, and thanks

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by charles17
            Thanks for feedback and comments. As I have a very limited budget the 1056 is the upper end of my budget. I would love to go the seperate route, but when I win the lotto!!!!

I have a Denon 2900 DVD which is great, so I am hoping will partner well.

All feedback and thoughts welcome, and thanks

even if you arnt going to seperates the 1056 is much better then denon in my opinion.

Comment

• eelco74
              • Dec 2002

I have a dvd-2900 as well. Althoug with CD's not as good as my old RCD-975, still a fine machine. I have it paired with a 1068/RB-981/RB-985MKII.

You can always add a rb-1070 or even a RB-1080 to accomodate the front channels. This will improve your performance even more...

Comment

• Tony
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by eelco74
                I have a dvd-2900 as well. Althoug with CD's not as good as my old RCD-975, still a fine machine. I have it paired with a 1068/RB-981/RB-985MKII.

You can always add a rb-1070 or even a RB-1080 to accomodate the front channels. This will improve your performance even more...
                I possess also the Rotel 1075 and the Rotel 1068. Around CD to hear I use also a Denon 2900. But which sounds itself now better. If I hear the Denon 2900 digitally over the Rotel. Or if I hear the Denon 2900 similarly over bypass over the Rotel. I have however only a really cheap similar chinch cable. I mean digitally over rotel sound myself better. How is your opinion in addition? Is a good similarly chinch cable worth for denon the 2900 to buy or remains with digital?

Greets

Tony

Comment

• eelco74
                  • Dec 2002

It is always wise to invest in good interlinks.

I use the 5.1 input to listen to CD and SA-CD. I found this the best sounding solution. Apart from the fact that you can't listen to SA-CD via Coax.

I have a good quality 75ohm digital cable as wel as 6 interlinks. I use vdHul Videolink as a digital coax cable. And vdHul D102MKIII for the 5.1 input. And to the poweramps as well. It makes quite a difference. They are multiple award winners.

Remember you can't buy vdHul on-line. You must go to a specialty shop. Otherwise checkout catcables.com. They seem to be very fine as well.

Comment

• Tony
                    • Jun 2004

Hello, I do not understand your wiring so completely.

The Denon 2900 has nevertheless a 5.1 connection and directly beside it CD a connection at the back. Isn't that high-quality CD connection or makes that no difference?

You uses thus 5.1 cables, which end from the Denon in the Rotel?

Where does the cable go into the Rotel purely? If you hear then CD, do you switch the Rotel to bypass?

I connected the Denon with the Rotel with an Oelbach digital cable, with which I hear all films. The 1068 is connected with the 1075 with an Oelbach Bluemagic of 5.1 cables, where however a cable is too much.

Sry about my english but I´m German

Greetings

Tony
                    Last edited by Kevin D; 09 November 2005, 09:35 Wednesday.

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Tony,

I've edited your post to remove the link to the cable. Since HTguide is sponsored by a cable manufacturer, we have to limit the discussion of cable brands. In addition, HTguide does not allow linking to other cable manufacturers or specific cables.

As far as your question, you need the 5.1 cable between the Denon and Rotel for DVDA/SACD sources.

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• eelco74
                        • Dec 2002

Tony,

I have the 5.1 output from the Denon connected to the 5.1 input of the RSP-1068. I listen to cd's in passtroug via the muli input.

I do not have a connection from the 2-channel to the CD input, since it sounds the same. The digital link is purely for DVD.

Comment

• Tony
                          • Jun 2004

@Kevin
                          Oh, apology fot the link. Do not occur again!

@Eelco
                          Ok, thank you. Now I understood. :T

Tony

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"