Buying RSP-1066 from Audiogon - Customs issues?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • griddall
    • Aug 2003

Buying RSP-1066 from Audiogon - Customs issues?

Hi all
    I have been looking for a used RSP-1066 (or possible an RSX-1055) in Canada but have not had much luck. I often see them forsale on Audiogon, but I am unsure what would happen when the owner tried to ship it to Canada. Have any of you Canadians out there purchased anything from Audiogon, and if so, what additional costs would I need to consider. Thanks for any input you all may have.

Cheers,
    Gil
    Gil Riddall
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I shipped a reciever from Canada to the US (about $2700 US) and I believe it was 3% duty and about a $20 brokerage fee. Might be different going from US to Canada though.

P.S. Whatever anyone does, do NOT use Fedex C.O.D. I'll leave it at that.

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The old rule of thumb used to be double the US price to get the delivered canadian equivillent but with the rise in the loonie that's not as accurate anymore. Typically you'll pay both tax's on the declared item cost as well as duty and possibly a handleing fee. Now Canada posts handleing fee is only $5 but UPS's can be as high as a $80 or higher so you'll want to avoid UPS if at all possible.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Gil, please remember, Audiogon has nothing for sale itself. It's only a place for buyers and sellers to meet. So, each seller must be closely scrutinized before sending money. If not, well, a good deal could quickly become a nightmare. Just remember to use extreme caution before buying. Remember also, if they ask for Western Union payment, RUN, do not buy.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• griddall
          • Aug 2003

Well thanks for the info guys. I wasn't sure what the rules were for used goods coming into Canada from the USA. Since my local dealer won't move off of $2200cdn for the 1066 (and $2000 for the RSX-1055) I guess I'll just keep watching CanuckAudioMart for a used unit. Unless someone out here is upgrading to the 1098 and is looking to get rid of there RSP-1066 or RSX-1055? :roll:

Thanks
          Gil
          Gil Riddall

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Wow that's pricey for those models...I paid about $1800 for my 1066 when they first came out. Is he your only Rotel dealer around?

Comment

• griddall
              • Aug 2003

He's the only one I am aware of. He offers a 'Trade-up' program where (for processors) the item depreciates 2% each month. If you bring it back he will apply the depreciated value to your upgrade. Depreciation is much less on speakers and amps (where they are not outdated as fast). Anyway, this is why they say they can't move on price. They offer about a 15% discount on the trade-in units, and provide a full 5 year warranty with it. Who knows, maybe if I waved the cash in their face they would come down, but I have been in and talked to a couple different people and the story is always the same. I'll just hang back and wait for a good deal on a used one. Besides CanuckAudiomart, is anyone aware of any other good sites fr\or finding used audio gear in Canada? There are 2 local stores
              AudioShop http://www.audioshop.on.ca/
              and Audiocentre http://www.audiocentre.com/discussions/index.cfm

that have some gear but not sure of any others)

Cheers,
              Gil
              Gil Riddall

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"