X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave D
    • Apr 2003

Progressive DVD/Laserdisc Player?

Hi all,

Does a DVD/LD combo player exist which supports progressive scan? It appears that my Pioneer DVL-909 DVD/LD player has become the weak link in my chain (so to speak). But Pioneer's latest DVL-919 (ca. 1999) still doesn't appear to support progressive scan. Granted, I could throw a progressive-scan DVD player into the mix -- they're cheap! -- but then, I really hate to have separate DVD and LD players, especially if each consumes a component input.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Dave
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

If memory serves, they stopped making laserdisc players before progressive scan dvd players came out. But I could be wrong.

I have a Pioneer DVL 700 combi player. I believe it was the first. It didn't have component and after reading so much about component and dvd at the time, I pretty much decided to add a dvd player to my set up. The 700's composite or S-video works fine for laserdisc but I never liked them for dvd. I only use the 700 for laserdisc these days.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

Since Laserdisc is a composite format, you want to use the composite output to your TV. Thus I would use the composite out of your LD player and then buy a new modern progressive scan player. This is exactly what I am doing now. Only the DVD player should and will consume a component input.

Comment

• Dave D
        • Apr 2003

Thank you!

I didn't realize this about LDs and composite video (and, presumably, S-video). Jeez. If I downgrade the LD player from component, then there really is no reason why I don't introduce a new DVD player to the setup. Weeeeee!!!!

Thanks again.

Dave

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

Only in rare cases is S-Video better than Composite for LD.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Only in rare cases is S-Video better than Composite for LD.
            Which connection is better (S-Video or composite) depends on the relative quality (effectiveness) of the comb filters in the LD player and the TV. Essentially, a comb filter accepts a composite video signal which has both luminance (black and white & detail) and chrominance (color) in one signal and outputs S-video which provides separate signal paths for luminance and chrominance.

If the LD player is a top end model with a superlative comb filter, then the overall pictue quality acheived using its S-Video connection might be better, but if the TV has a really outstanding comb filter, then letting the TV do the color separation could yield better results.

If you happen to have both kinds of cables on hand and access to a video test disk on laser disc (such as "A Video Standard" or "Video Essentials"), it might be worth trying both connections to determine which is better. Of course, you can also judge the difference using familiar movie material. (The results will be less precise, but "seeing is believing".) Whichever connection looks better to you, use it.

For full disclosure, I am using the composite output from my Pioneer laser disc player. However, I have never seen a composite connection look as good as S-Video or component on DVD, which has the luminence and chrominance "separated at birth", so to speak, and therefore does not need a comb filter to separate the signals. So it is either HDMI or component for me on DVD.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Dave D
              • Apr 2003

Confused Again (Sorry)....

So, if my DVD/LD player sports composite, S-video and component outputs, which do I connect to the preamp? Do I connect composite AND component, for example, and then toggle between them via preamp selection/menus per the media used?

Dave

ps. I have since discovered that the scaler built into my Runco projector is supposed to outperform a progressive-scan DVD player, so there is no reason to introduce a new DVD player afterall.
              Last edited by Dave D; 07 January 2006, 20:16 Saturday. Reason: more info

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"