X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brent A S
    • Oct 2005

Newbie - RA-1062 & Polk LSi 9s

Hi everyone. I'm absolutely wrapped to have found such an informative forum as this! Got a few questions, but as a newbie, please be gentle! I'm now into my 2nd month of ownership of the following system:

RCD-1072 CD player
    RA-1062 Integrated Amp
    RT-1080 Tuner
    Pair of Polk Audio LSi 9 speakers

The above is my first "real" 2 channel system, and I have to admit that I love it. The speakers are still breaking in, and they already sound great!!! My only issue is that as I learn more about audio, I'm now thinking whether the RA-1062 is an OK match for the Polk LSi 9s, or whether I should have stretched to the RA-1070?

Does the RA-1062 lend itself to upgrades, such as adding an RB-1070 power amp? Would this make a difference at low to middle listening levels (say 9-11 o'clock volume setting)? Is a separate power amp useless with a dedicated pre-amp? So many questions! Many thanks.

Brent.
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

Welcome Brent,

Overall the 1062 has gotten better reviews than the discontinued RA1070. In fact the 1062 is considered one of the best sounding integrateds at the price point. It has undergone continual refinement and it's 60w rating is conservative. I have seen some bench tests putting it closer to the 80-90w range.

Yes, you could use the pre-outs to add an external amp. I would demo first to see if this makes a difference. Speaker sensitivity, room size, and listening tastes will all factor in. Do you know the impedance ond sensitivity rating of your speakers?

Comment

• gianni
      • Nov 2002

OK - found the specs for the Polks: 4 ohm and 88db sensitivity and advertised response to 38hz.

Depending on the factors I mentioned above, they may well be candidates for a separate amp. I would see if you can arrange an in home demo. Areas you are most likely to see improvements with the RB1070 would be dynamics and bass response/control.

Comment

• Brent A S
        • Oct 2005

Gianni,

Many thanks for your reply. I didn't know that the RA-1070 is discontinued. As for the Polk's, I had a quick look at their technical info, and they rate their Efficiency at 88dB and Impedence at 4 Ohms. I admittedly don't know a great deal about the practical implications of this, but I've heard it said that these are somewhat at the more demanding end of the spectrum in terms of required amplifier power.

I should probably have clarified in my original post that I don't drive them at loud volumes. I'm not into shaking the foundations of the house with heavy metal tracks at earsplitting sound levels. I rarely venture past the 11 o'clock position on the amp volume. It's more a case of wondering if a separate power amp would help complement the quality of the musical detail at low to moderate listening volumes, or if this is pointless without a separate pre-amp.

Thanks,
        Brent.

Comment

• gianni
          • Nov 2002

As far as detail goes, I doubt you'll gain much with an amp. Dynamics and base would be most the likely improvements. This can however make everything sound better. Cleaner bass can benefit the entire presentation.

I would start by demoing an outboard amp to satisfy your curiosity. Yes, a preamp would be the next step but to make it worthwhile you wil have to take a significant step up in quality. Don't try to answer this question by spending too much time researching - you will get lots of different opinions. The real test is to try this in your system. You should be able to find a dealer willing to accomodate you.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"