X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric A
    • Jun 2003

Newbie Looking for advice

Hey all, Name is Eric Anderson here.......old Friend of Lex. New to the site, about to make a New purchase, and looking for ome advise. Im 25, just got a new job, and looking for my first "Nice" HT system. I already have the TV a Phillips 60PP9352 60" 16:9 1080i Hi Def, but am looking for the audio to go with it. Here is what I am thinking:
    Reveiver Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX
    DVD Pioneer Elite DV-45A
    Main Polk Audio RTi70's or Axiom M50ti's
    Rear L / R Polk FXi 50 Dipoles or Axiom QS4's
    Rear Center Polk FXi 30 Dipole or 1 Axiom QS4
    Front Center Polk CSi 40 or Axiom VP100
    Subwoofer Polk PS404 or Axiom EP175O
    And interconnects from Lexman
    Or if you guy's have any other models t look at for about the same price point. I'm looking to stay under 3500.00 for the Audio system right now
    Thank, and nice to meet y'all
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

Welcome to the forum. Couldnt help but suggest the Rotel 1055 AVR and a SVS PB-1 sub to go with the polks. Not sure what the Elite avr you asked about runs or the Polk sub, but I wager the Rotel AVR and the SVS sub I suggest isnt a whole lot more, but is as solid as they come in both cases.

You just can't fix stupid
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

I'm going to recommend a subwoofer from Adire Audio, a sponsor here. Dan's a great guy to deal with Eric, let me cruise the models. An Adire Rava would be nice.

I think Eric has flip flopped from the Polks already, but the discussion is ongoing.

Welcome Eric, good to have you with us! A little history, when I worked part time at Radio Shack, Eric and I worked together. I actually knew him before that, but got to know him a lot better working together. We had a good time working the holiday season together. Well, I worked, and he went to school and played his instrument. :LOL:

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Eric A
        • Jun 2003

Just wanting to make sure I get the most for my bucks.....From what I have read........I've been looking at this for about 2 weeks now, Its's between the Polks and the Axioms.......I will look into the other Subs.

And well you know, if Lex or I still worked at the "Shack" I could use the discount and get the whole system from there :<)

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hi Eric, welcome to The Guide. You've already got a good start with your display. :T

We are definitely a Rotel-heavy site, but another brand to investigate at the price point of the 43TX, $1,200, is Outlaw. There have been lots of good things written about their performance in magazine reviews and on the 'net. I'm a Yamaha fan (owner) myself, but at that price-point, the Yamaha's can be somewhat bright sounding - YMMV.

Speakers? Man there are a ton of good speakers in your price range. One that I've seen a lot of good comments about lately is the Totem line. But, check out PSB, Paradigm, B&W, Energy - all the favorites. They are all favorites for good reasons - quality sound at good prices.

Subs? I don't much know about the Axioms. Sorry. Yeah, the Adire Rava's are very good bang-for-the-buck units. Plus IMO, a sealed sub like the Rava is generally better accuracy-wise than a ported one like the Axiom.

This is just my 2 cents and should be taken as such. Good luck and let us know what you get and how it sounds!

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I wouldn't buy the Pioneer DVD player since they still suffer from the chroma bug. You're better off with something like the Denon 1600 which can do DVD-A, is progressive and has one of the best images available. The New Denon 2900 is nice as well but more money (it can do SACD as well as DVD-A)

For receivers I have to agree Rotel makes a nice product and would be my choice. The Pioneers are ok but they've always had questionable amps compared to other brands. An ideal pairing for those with budgets might be the Rotel 1055 and a nice 2 channel amp for the mains. This will end up being quite a bit cheaper then the 1066 pre amp but will get you very close to the same sound quality.

For speakers that's much harder to recomend since its mostly a personal choice. That said all of the brands you've listed are of good quality and often review well. For the subwoofer though I have to agree with Doug that something like the Rava would be a better choice. For that matter bug Doug about selling you one or two of his subs since he should get going with his Tempest subs anyway

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"