X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brent A S
    • Oct 2005

Please Help! Driving Polk LSi9s

Hi all. Have browsed this forum a lot over the last few months. A fantastic site. Thanks.

OK, now my dilemma. I'm a newbie, so please be gentle and go easy on the jargon! I'm currently running a 2 channel set-up incorporating a pair of Polk LSi9s with a Rotel RA-1062 integrated and Rotel RDC-1072 CD player. Setup is less than 12 months old, and as I've got used to it I've noticed that whilst the mid range and higher end (inc vocals) are crystal clear, at higher volumes the bass sounds a bit 'wooly', and the general sound quality & detail starts to taper off. I'm talking no higher than 11 o'clock on the amp volume dial.

I know that the Rotel RA1062 is a capable little unit, but really, would it be expected to struggle driving the Polks which are a 4ohm speaker? Do I really need a pre and power amp setup to do justice to the Polks which (to me at least) look and feel like a great speaker?

PS. I don't need massive volume, and I know that acoustics etc all play a role. I just want to know that all other variables being equal, is my amp a possible weak link in the chain, or should it not really be noticeable at moderate listening levels?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brent.
  • LikeCoiledSteel
    • May 2004

Hi Brent,
    Driving the Lsi's are not an easy task. Their 4 ohm design can be taxing to many an amplifier. Check out the forums at www.polkaudio.com as this topic has been discussed many times there. The general concensus is that a seperate amp is ideal for them. The Outlaw amps are a favorite there for price/ performance. Good luck.
    Steel

Comment

• Brent A S
      • Oct 2005

Steel, thanks for your assistance.

Going to check out A Rotel RC-1070 Pre and RB-1080 Power as possible upgrade options. Given I've already got other Rotel stuff (CD & tuner) I'd like to stick with the Rotel gear if at all possible. Will let my ears do the deciding though!

Regards,
      Brent.

Comment

• jazznsoccer
        • Apr 2004

The biggest difference I've ever heard in speakers was upgrading the amps to have plenty of reserve power & current. My Polks RT55s went from ok to holy s**t! when I went from a 60 wpc receiver to a 300 WPC @8 ohm , 600 wpc @ 4 ohm power amp.

And this had nothing to do with hi volume sound and everything to do with clarity, tightness and just superb sound.

Room acoustics do have a major role no doubt, but my guess is you still have improvement room in the amp before room acoustics become the dominant factor.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"