X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenn
    • Jun 2003

Surround sound processor requirements

home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

Will be interesting to see how the Rotel products (if reviewed) hold their own on this upcoming benchmark test.

Also interesting to see the similarity between some of the 1098 wish list features and the categories deemed as critical features as listed here.

The one single feature I wish the 1055 had, it's been discussed before in Club Rotel, is exactly what is stated as important on this criteria list; the ability to time delay / align all 5 individual channels.

I also agree with the comment about THX certification, lower end products are receiving the certification, so the cost should be looked at accordingly. Although, I suppose a manufactuer could be paying for a bulk certification that would cover any product in its line up that qualifies vs a per model cost certification. Then of course there is the argument, do we really need a THX stamp of approval etc etc

I look forward to this upcoming surround sound processor benchmark test, and just wanted to make reference to it, in case it was of interest to anyone here.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Glenn and 1098 Owners (current and potential),

The list of "benchmark requirements for Surround Sound Processors" in the Secrets of Home Theater posting is interesting:
    • A proportion of these are already delivered by the 1098
    • As pointed out by Glenn, a number of the rest are covered by the V2.0 Wish list
    • However about 1/3 are not covered.

Of those not covered, I'd be really interested in feedback as to the relevance / interest in adding these to the 1098 wish list. Some of these items look really interesting, but I’m loathe to add them on my own. Essentially most of the 1098 wish list items today come from either current owners of the 1098 or people who have looked at the 1098 and chosen to buy (or stick with) a competitive processor. I'd be happy to add any missing features from the SSP Benchmark that 1098 current or potential owners place a demand on.

So get your feedback in......

If there is demand I'd be happy to kick off a comparative analysis of the extent to which the 1098 meets these requirements, and and the missing priority features to the wish list.....

Geoff Costello

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Hi,

I've had several Emails asking me to, so I'm going to prepare an analysis of the suggested benchmark features against the 1098 and the wish list V2.0.

I'm about 50% through and it's looking very interesting. I expect to finish and post in a day or so. I hope you like it.

In the mean time there is one question I can't answer:

In Dolby Digital 2.0 sources, there is a "Surround Flag" that indicates whether or not surround information has been encoded or not. Does the 1098 recognise this (it isn't covered in the manual)?

Geoff Costello

Comment

• Sickman
        • Aug 2003

This will not look good for the RSX 1055. :cry: :cry:

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"