• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

RSP 1098/1068 RSX 1067 Wish List V4

Hi,

As promised, HERE is V4.0 of the "Wish-list" for the Rotel RSP-1098 (Updated Sunday 7 March 2004).

Some key points:
    • It now incorporates the RSP-1068 and the RSX-1067, with the latest version of firmware for these.
    • It has been updated to reflect the capabilities in version 2.1.1 of the RSP-1098 firmware and version 1.1.4 of the RSP-1068 / RSX-1067 firmware
    • It also includes all relevant suggestions made to me or on this forum since version 3.0 was published. Let me know if you thing I have missed one.
    • I have flagged those wish list V3.0 items that are now available. Rotel have included a number that were on the list before flagged as "critical", which I know were also separately raised by other users directly.
    • The Wish List is presented for review and comment (new suggestions, comments on existing suggestions, comments on the suggested priority etc.) via postings in this thread
    • As per past practice, I will issue periodic changes with new versions (4.0a, 4.0b etc) to reflect peoples feedback and update this post accordingly.

Please post any feedback / comments etc here!

Andrew Pratt and I will ensure that Rotel get to see this updated list via our American and Australian connections. I know Rotel are still working through due consideration of the rest of the V3.0 requests to this should add to their product planning fun

Enjoy!

Geoff Costello

• BladeRnR
    • Sep 2003

Geoff,

That's the first time I've read your "Wish List" document and I must say I'm exceedingly impressed by both the content and layout.

It's Users like you that drive exisiting technology forward

Well done mate.

Comment

• Bostonears
      • Mar 2004

I just picked up an RSX-1067 last week ("...and boy does my back hurt"). It's my first ever Rotel piece. While I was at the store, another customer told me about Club Rotel, so this is my first visit.

I have already noticed the inconvenience from the lack of DTS Neo6 direct selection on the remote control. There's a button for Neo6 on the front of the RSX, so why in the world would Rotel not put a corresponding button on the remote? Add my vote for the Direct Select For All Sound Modes item.

Once I've had a bit more experience with the 1067 under my (hernia) belt, I'm sure I'll have more comments and feature requests. In the meantime, I want to thank Geoff for taking the time to meticulously document all the requests.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Hi,

Rotel Japan now have V4 of the wish list

I have an informal understanding that:
        • Rotel's firmware engineers have been focused on getting the RSP-1068/RSX-1067 firmware out and readying the DPLI IIx.
        • They are now working on a mid year firmware release with new features which the wish list is a significant source (no fixed date as it will depend on testing results)
        • There may be bug fix release(s) before then depending on what is found in the field (faults have a priority as they should).
        • A number of the items from Wish list 3.0 are under consideration for the mid year firmware release. (Too soon to look at the extra’s from V4.0 yet)
        • There is no (and may not be) an official Rotel list / response as to what will be included– they don't want to make promises they can't keep and what is in the final list will depend on what works, how hard some things turn out to be.
        • We need to be realistic about our expectations - while we will get some good things we have asked for - There will be plenty on the list not done yet.
        • A number of the things we thought were firmware are hardware changes and just won't/can't happen in the current generation of hardware – internal switching etc not right to allow.
        • Some of the implementations will be quite different from the way the wish list request is written but (in Rotel’s opinion) achieve the same aims
        • THX Ultra is not a software issue (available from Cirrus) but there are doubts that the cost for certificaiton etc adds justifiable value to the sound especially now DPL IIx is here – making any future selection a marketing decision that we should not hold our breaths for.

Just an understanding - you understand

Should be fun later this year....

Geoff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

pushing up to the top

Comment

• oliverlim
            • Jun 2004

Different Crossover settings for Stereo and HT!

As above. It would be nice to be able to set automatically a different crossover for both HT and Stereo. Usually I prefer a lower crossover such as 60 or 40hz for Stereo listening but a 80 or 100hz crossover in HT.

Oliver

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Hi,

Good Idea - I've added it to my file for V5.0 of the wish-list - which I'm saving until we actually get a decent update...

Geoff

Comment

• aarsoe
                • May 2004

Geoff

Nice piece of work - however I do feel something is lacking.
                Currently most of the wish list is for usability on current versions, and only a very few hw request (add. 5.1, HDMI, hight channels etc) but none on, what I feel should be a major topic, the quality of the sound.
                While we all agree that the 1098 is a very fine piece of work, it is at best mediocre as a preamp for stereo - and most of us is using it this way 80% of the time..
                Do you agree or am I preaching to the preacher?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Aarsoe,

In comparison to a really good stereo pre-amp the RSP-1068 leaves a lot to be desired - but it is way better at stereo than 99% of other processors and every receiver I have heard - this relative quality was one of its defining features when released. Now there are a few others processors out like the Byston SP1.7 that are also excellent stereo pre-amps (in that case by sacrificing video processing etc). So far all the ones I am aware of are also much more expensive (typically twice the price).

Bottom line I have stayed away from "why don't we have a new model that is way better" suggestions because the wish list is intended to be largely realistic software changes or market feature matching changes for a theoretical RSP-1099 - rather than "why don't we have one at double the price".

Al that aside - I have a couple of requests for a "Signature Edition" waiting for V5.0 which would have upgrade op-amps and other parts for finer sound...

Geoff

Comment

• aarsoe
                    • May 2004

Geoff

I am by no mean trying to suggest a double price unit. Just to be a bit pre-emtive and try and think of things that people will be looking for in the next generation.

Sound quality improvement could be implemented several ways - one would be to go with better op-amps or processors - another would be a PURE analogue throughput with matching volume control - or even better, suggest that Rotel implements a theathre throughput on their pre-amps..

Balanced connections, another topic, why on the 1095 and not on the 1098?
                    Finally, some of the things you have on the wish list is put down as desireble - but I feel they will be do or die for the next generation. Ex. HDMI....

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2003

Aarsoe,

Now I understand and can happily include your suggestions n the next wish list under the Signature edition idea. I also agree about the HDMI for the next generation

I have captured your post in my "Pending Wish List Changes File".

Take a look for it when I do version 5.0

Geoff

Comment

• FatMatt
                        • Jan 2003

Firstly, excellent Wish List, must've taken you ages.

My thought;
                        I can't see Rotel satisfiying most of what you've suggested, expecially the hardware requirments. They'll simply draw a line under the features of those models (sooner rather than later) then plan new models.

It would be nice to own an ever evolving piece of HT kit, but they're in this business to make money.

I own an ageing 966 (connected to a Roksan Caspian Integrated amp and a 3 channel Caspian Power amp (expandable to 5)). I wanted to upgrade to the 1068 sometime ago, but I like to skip a generation or two when upgrading (to see real improvments) the lack of HDMI/DVI put me off, but I'll agree they came out before those connections had really taken off.
                        So, that leads me to the obvious question; Is there any knowledge of a replacment model for the 1068? 2005 maybe ?

cheers.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2003

FatMatt,
                          I can't see Rotel satisfying most of what you've suggested, especially the hardware requirements. They'll simply draw a line under the features of those models (sooner rather than later) then plan new models.

It would be nice to own an ever evolving piece of HT kit, but they're in this business to make money.
                          I agree with both your points - the hardware is (for me) always more a suggestion for future models rather than a realistic upgrade for existing RSP-1098 (nice as that would be). The software one is more interesting. Rotel are a committed user of the Cirrus DSP chips and the more they invest now, the better feature set they will have to remain competitive in the future. So, despite (what I see as) some real "slowness" this year by Rotel compared to their previous upgrade rate for the RSP-1066 - I am still hopeful that they will get their act together and release some more useful upgrades. Failure to do so (in my view) runs the risk of marginalising the next generation of Rotel products in the feature war that (like it or not) exists...

Mean time the RSP-1098 while not the best processor money can buy - remains arguably amongst the best value - with very few processors surpassing it in sond quality and all of those being considerably more expensive...

Geoff

Comment

• GregoriusM
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2000

Geoff:

What an excellent wish list and so expertly prepared.

Any chance of a similar wish list for the 1056 or adding the 1056 to the wish list?

I see some of the changes are already in the 1056, but there are a lot that I would love to see that would definitely just incorporate firmware updates.

Items like finer speaker distance units, etc. I found a least a dozen, probably more like 20 items that I'd love to see on the 1056.

I also noticed that the software updates on Rotel.com are grouped as one for the 1056, 1067, and 1068, so it would seem that any updates to the 1067 software could possibly be implemented in the 1056.

Greg :-)
                            Last edited by GregoriusM; 18 April 2005, 11:15 Monday.
                            Gregor

Comment

• csuzor
                              • Nov 2004

Fantastic initiative Geoff! A from a fellow aussie as well!

I haven't been around on this forum long enough to see this thread in Dec. I didn't realise the 1068 (which I bought recently) had so much missing relative to other alternatives (albeit more expensive).

What is the current status of these updates? I recently updated to latest version, but there are a lot of good ideas in this document that are not implemented...

Thanks
                              Christophe

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                • Apr 2005

Excellent. This is similar to what we had with Denon which was an interactive forum where users could make suggestions etc. Worked very well - the result was the XV series.

Comment

• SL Boy
                                  • Jan 2005

I would like to see Rotel solve the problem highlighted in this thread:

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2003

GregoriusM,
                                    I also noticed that the software updates on Rotel.com are grouped as one for the 1056, 1067, and 1068, so it would seem that any updates to the 1067 software could possibly be implemented in the 1056.
                                    Greg, you are right and when I do the next version of the list I will include the RSX-1056 in it as it has essentialy the same software as the 1067...

Geoff

Comment

• Christine Tham
                                      • May 2005

Hi Geoff, thanks very much for your list. I am currently considering purchasing the RSP-1098, and your wish list was very useful in helping me understand the limitations of the unit in a way that most "reviews" will not disclose.

Do you know what the current status of the wish list is and the likelihood of Rotel implementing some of the software only features? I noticed your post from March 2004 and here we are more than one year later.

I don't mean the features that can only be implemented through hardware, or the ones that require additional licensing/certification (THX) or even the ones that *may* require additional hardware (such as digitising analog signals and presenting on digital output - i suspect the digital outs are simply tapped from the digital ins and not generated by the DSP).

I mean the ones that seem obvious and relatively easy to implement, like allowing DTS ES to be engaged even though the flag is not set, and also allowing default settings per source per input format.

PS - i hope to be a proud owner soon! Still tossing up between the RSP-1098 and the Lexicon MC-4 or MC-8 but the Rotel is looking sweeter every day!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2003

Christine,

I owe an update on this to reflect the latest firmware (a number of the wish-list items are in it). For example the DTS ES engagement has been superseded by the ability to engaged Dolby Prologic IIx on DTS and extract 7 channels that sound better than ES from DTS ES Matrix sources... However much is still to be done and Rotel are gradually falling behind the leading edge in the "feature wars" on their RSP-1098 and 1068 firmware. I expect more updates later this year but Rotel have been burnt by how hard some of their updates to date have been. They are also quite dependent on Cirrus who do the core software for the processor...

That aside - the RSP-1098 is very hard to beat in sound quality for the $...

Geoff

Comment

• Christine Tham
                                          • May 2005

Thanks for the info, Geoff, much appreciated.

I must say I agree with you, I've been struggling to find a processor with as many features as the 1098, but they all tend to miss things like HDCD or DPL IIx and cost 2-3 times the 1098.

I suspect some of the reason for the higher cost in the competitors is THX Ultra 2 certification which I've been told has a fairly significant licensing cost. Personally, I have never liked THX processing, even in the Ultra 2 cinema incarnation, so I would prefer to avoid paying for it if possible, which makes the 1098 ideal. My current processor has THX Ultra 2, and I never use the extra processing. I think THX is useful if you have less than ideal speakers in a less than ideal environment, but I've discovered it tends to muddy the sound in a "high end" ITU configuration with 7 full range speakers.

The only concern I have is the "noise" in the digital processing but I've been told any unit manufactured since Dec 2004 should not have the problem.

PS - say hello to your brother Elvis for me :-)

Comment

• Fishy
                                            • Jul 2004

Geoff, maybe it's time for Rotel to release some hardware updates that the 1098 can handle!

Fish

Comment

• Fishy
                                              • Jul 2004

So any idea if Rotel will be releasing any hardware upgrades for the 1098?

Thanks
                                              Fish

Comment

• mjb
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

I wonder we'll see a pre-Christmas firmware update? I'd personally like to see ( on the 1098 ):
                                                • Function knob fix (!)
                                                • Larger font for Volume display (not in the menu screen, but when you just hit volume)
                                                • More information displayed about a digital data stream (bit rate, etc).
                                                • Selectable delay before the unit switches to the analog source input when the digital input is interrupted.

Thanks Rotel :T
                                                - Mike

Main System:
                                                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Mark1Ace1
                                                  • Jun 2005

I wonder we'll see a pre-Christmas firmware update? I'm not holding my breath for anytime this year...lol

Mark

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                                                    • May 2004

How about larger font size for the volume on the TFT. when I run my RDV1050 in progressive it will NOT display on the TV screen. Also when running HD in 720p or 1080i it will not also display on the TV. So a BIGGER font on the TFT would be awesome..... :T...UPDATE...please read the posting before repeating someone else's request !!!!! 8O :lol:

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2003

Hi,

The font size request is in the wish list and has been for a long time. Rotel first said it was impossible as the display driver doesn't support variable fonts. So I added the example where the large font was done using block characters. They are thinking about it...

I have sort of lost some confidence of when Rotel will upgrade. I know they are trying but generally have found the changes slower to do and more bug prone than they thought. I know they have a new version in the wings, but secrecy prevails as to the features...

Geoff

Comment

• Fishy
                                                        • Jul 2004

OK, how about some form of hardware upgrade!!! I would love to use balanced connections to my amp.

Fish

Comment

• mjb
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Fishy
                                                          OK, how about some form of hardware upgrade!!! I would love to use balanced connections to my amp.

Fish
                                                          I haven't had my 1098 long enough to even think about a new one 8O and besides, I'd really prefer Rotel to fix (or enhance) the current software before dropping the 1098 and moving to the replacement.

Balanced connectors (XLR) are not really necessary for short cross-connects.

Geoffs 'wish list v4' is excellent :T
                                                          - Mike

Main System:
                                                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Fox
                                                            • Nov 2003

I'd personally like to see in a firmware update on the 1098 with:
                                                            · Larger font for display on all functions
                                                            · More information displayed about a digital data stream; bits, frequency, bit rate, active channels, etc….
                                                            · Selectable delay before the unit switches to the analog source input when the digital input is interrupted. Or a fixed option.
                                                            · Different channel setting by sound source. One for DD, one for DPLIIx and one DTS.
                                                            · Different subwoofer setting by sound source. One for DD, one for DPLIIx and one DTS. Because DPLIIx is 5.0 can sound thin, I like the Sub set to MAX, instead of ON.
                                                            I'd personally like to see a hardware update on the 1098 with:
                                                            · A digital DSP board with les/no noise (mine starts now at 63 dB)
                                                            · An other type TFT screen, with no or a other type of backlight. Like PC monitor, who’s completely black with no signal, so there is no switching necessary.
                                                            · Video down converting, so I don’t have to hook up twice (if the equipment lets you, mini VCR don’t output s-vhs and composite at the same time!)
                                                            · And of course inputs for the next sound formats…
                                                            · Loose the second zone operation and make use of it’s processing power and inputs for the main.

Comment

• Fishy
                                                              • Jul 2004

MJB, the whole idea of the 1098 being a modula design, is that modules can be upgraded/changed without having to change others. So no need to replace a whole processor.

Fish

Comment

• dp19
                                                                • Jan 2008

possible software improvments on RSP-1068

Sorry for digging up this old thread but I couldn't find anywhere else to put this. There are a few things that I wouldn't mind seeing changed on my RSP-1068 (may apply to other models as well).

1. I would like to have an indication on the front panel display for when the Dynamic Range setting is set to MID or to LOW. My RSX-1056 had a [D.RANGE] light that came on when the sound was getting limited by the dynamic range setting. The rsp-1068 does not seem to have that. I have to press the D.Range button to check and this changes the state of the D.Range setting. I then need to push it 2 more times to set it back to where it was before. This makes it almost impossible to check the D.Range setting without other people noticing during a movie.

2. There should be a small delay on each of the 12v trigger outputs. I have a RB-1070 and a RMB-1075 amp and when they both turn on at the same time, it makes the lights in the entire house flicker, and causes my computer's UPS Battery backup to kick in for a few seconds. (which i have to admit is kinda cool) but it can't be very good for the rest of the equipment in the house. This could be reduced if each 12v trigger output were separated by a one second delay so that everything doesn't come on at the exact same time.

So that's my ranting about possible changes I'd like to see.

Thanks
                                                                dp19

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"