X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chanlon
    • Sep 2003

Suggestion on Controlling Infrared to Receiver

Hello all.

I'm using a Rotel 1068 and 1075 to power the "standard 5.1" portion of my system and using a single channel in my 5-channel Rotel 972 Receiver to power a rear centre as well. Thus, I have a 6.1 system.

After balancing all of my speaker levels using the test tone generated from a DVD, I watched a movie adjusting the master volume (1068) at various points throughout the film. To my surprise, when I turn down the master volume on the 1068, the infrared from the remote turns down the volume on my 972 receiver since its the same manufacturer (Rotel). Thus, this turns down the volume on the rear centre channel. The master volume on the 972 cannot be set to a fixed level.

Is there need to worry that the speakers are no longer balanced when I adjust the volume? When I balanced the rear centre channel on the rotel 972, I had the volume fixed at 72 on the display.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Chris
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Do you need to control the 972 at all via remote? If not, just put a piece of electrical tape over the remote sensor on the 972.

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

Or if your'e concerned with appearance, pop the cover and unplug the photo transistor cable. I had done this on my RC-1070, with RSX-1055 combo.

Comment

• chanlon
        • Sep 2003

Well, an infrared signal is required to turn the unit on. Its in standby mode otherwise.

And...I don't believe it can accept a 12V trigger since the triggers are outputs not inputs on the back of this receiver - correct?

The tape idea does sound appealing.

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

Correct on the 12v trigger

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Does the 972 have a fixed power switch? (ie, if you unplug it on, will it come back on when you plug it back in?) If so, a combination of the tape over the sensor AND a 12v switched outlet should work.

The only set back would be how long without power does the 972 'remember' it's last input and volume level.

Kevin D.

Comment

• chanlon
              • Sep 2003

An infrared signal is obviously required to turn both units on. However, since I only require one during certain activities, I was wondering if I could change the remote address for either the 1068 or 972.

BTY, the email address techsupport@rotel.com doesn't appear to be working for the last 2 days or so.

Chris

Comment

• chanlon
                • Sep 2003

BTY, no fixed switch - I do appreciate your suggestions!

Comment

• sprout
                  • Jun 2005

Well I would suggest a discreet piece of plastic large enough to cover the receiver attached in a hinge fashion.

Then to turn it on its just over to the unit, lift the flap, remote on, drop the flap and back to your chair :T

Comment

• w6000
                    • Dec 2003

Here is what you do. You put a piece of plastic tape over ir of the unit. Then you plug the unit into a 12v trigger plug, russound makes one. You link the 12v wire to the main unit. That way when you send a command to the main unit it will turn on the other reciever. I can get you the part number if you want.

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

I think he looked at that and the 972 defaults to 'off' when it first gets power, so the 12v switch won't work.

Kevin D.

Comment

• w6000
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Kevin D
                        I think he looked at that and the 972 defaults to 'off' when it first gets power, so the 12v switch won't work.

Kevin D.
                        Sorry, I must of missed the post where it said the 972 defaults to off
                        Last edited by w6000; 23 October 2005, 13:25 Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"