X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ranger_Rick
    • May 2007

RSX-972 5.1 Analog Audio Input Problem

I have been the owner of a Rotel Surround Sound A/V Receiver Model RSX-972 for 5 years. I have used it with DVD, CD and laser disk players, and cable TV as sources and have driven a full set of surround speakers and a high definition, rear projection, large screen TV successfully with it, often at high sound volume. I have had no problems, until now. I just purchased a CD/DVD player (an Oppo) with both SACD and DVD-Audio capability, and so, for the first time, I am using the 5.1 analog audio inputs on the RSX-972. The problem is that each time I've tried to play an SACD, whenever it reaches a high volume passage in the music, the RSX-972 shuts down! I've tried various combinations of settings of the volume controls on the RSX-972 and on the Oppo. No luck. The volume levels I'm talking about here are not particularly loud, compared to what I've used in the past with other sources. Can anyone explain what's happening and what I can do about it?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Strange... Is it easily repeatable? If so, disconnect all speakers and the sub and see if it shuts down. If not, add one at a time until it does.

If it does shut-down with no speakers connected, I'm at a loss. Could be the 972 or the Oppo. You could try running your CD player into the multi-ins and see if it shuts down as well.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Ranger_Rick
      • May 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. I found that the problem went away with the surround speakers disconnected. I also tried the following with all speakers in play: I played a regular CD on the Oppo using the coax digital audio link and then played it on an old CD player I've used for years with L & R analog audio outputs and in both cases the RSX972 shut down on a loud passage. When I did this I had the 972 set for Dolby Pro Logic processing. I repeated the test with the 972 set for 2-channel stereo and had no problem, probably because the surround speakers were out of the loop. Any ideas?

Comment

• Ranger_Rick
        • May 2007

An addendum to my previous reply: I used the speaker test tone feature of the 972 to drive each speaker with a fairly loud tone. Each time I got to the left rear speaker, the 972 shut down. Then I interchanged the left and right rear speaker connections and repeated the test. This time the 972 shut down on the "right" (formerly the left) speaker. This must mean that that speaker is damaged and somehow the 972 senses that when the volume is sufficiently high. Does this make sense?

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"