X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpauline
    • Dec 2003

Hopefully Andrew Shaw with Rotel can help

I have been in contact with Rotel yet again about this amp. Hopefully they can help me out. It is a shame because the perfomance and reliability from my RSP 976, 1066, 1098, and 1095 have been stellar!

I will let everyone know what happens.

I do not use the 12v trigger so that is not the issue for me.

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

This is certainly a 'black mark' for Rotel reliability. I was considering upgrading my RB-1070 amp to the RB-1080 but am now holding off until this malacy can be fixed permannently.

Comment

• dan87951
        • Nov 2005

This is suprise guys. I have had 2 RB-1080's (sold) and a RMB-1075 (still have) over the years and the only problem I had was the gound loop issue which ended up being my cable TV. Both amps performed flawlessly as long as my cable from the TV was unplugged (the 1075 doesnt have this issue), guess I got lucky with mine. Many people classify Rotel as a mid-fi product but they're very popular and if Rotel continues to treat their customers like what I'm hearing there select following will go to another brand! for a $1k amp to fail after a few weeks of use is ridiclious!
        dan87951
        audio guru

Comment

• RickF
          • Apr 2005

I finally received my power cord from Rotel and have been using my 'fixed' 1080 for a little less than a week now. Right off the bat I noticed how both sides of the top of the amp are even as far as being warm to the touch because from jump street my 1080 had always ran warmer on the right side than the left so hopefully this is an indication that this amp is working properly now and sounding mighty darn fine.

Also I did speak with a salesman at a local high end shop (not Rotel) here in town and told him about the bad channel on the 1080 and he seemed very surprised and told me that Rotel has always been considered to be very dependable and made a comment about how good the Rotel equipment is regarding sound and durability....these folks sell the higher end McIntosh and Marantz so I took that as a compliment, which made me feel better.

I still have faith in the Rotel gear and don't believe I'll ever have any reservations about purchasing another 1080 if I needed another 2 ch amp and I still am adding an RB 1095 along with either the RSP 1068 or 1098 processor to finish out the power/processing side of my system...easy to say whenever I have a working 1080 here in front of me but having that thing in the shop sure can be frustrating. The things we have to go through in this life of ours, huh!

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Rick, I can honestly say that my RB-1080 has worked flawlessly for the last 8 months of ownership. I have left it on, switched it using the 12V triggers and cranked the volume on it almost as far as it could go. Nada single problem. Fortunately, I happen to own one of the newer 1080's that included all the factory installed modifications from the get-go.

I have always viewed Rotel as a high-end manufacturer, albeit an entry level one, but HIFI nonetheless.

I have eventual amplifier upgrade plans brewing also. I've considered the RMB-1095 too but for now I am holding out for Rotel's upcoming RB-1091 and RB-1092 before making any moves.

By the way, TAS is running an extended evaluation of surround processors, covering customary price points, and the RSP-1098 is showcased in their latest issue. Of all the processors they could have chosen tells me it was no conicidence why they selected the 1098 for commentary. Check it out.

Glad to hear that things have worked out for you.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
              Rick, I can honestly say that my RB-1080 has worked flawlessly for the last 8 months of ownership.
              I bought my RB-1080 8 months ago too and I haven't had any problems either.

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                Fortunately, I happen to own one of the newer 1080's that included all the factory installed modifications from the get-go.
                RebelMan, will you please remind us how you can identify the updated model? Are 2 pairs of binding posts an indication?

Comment

• lvhung
                  • Jun 2005

I think RXV 4600 Yamaha could be a decent pre amp :T
                  if you get too much trouble with with 1068

Comment

• DrJRapp
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by bigburner
                    RebelMan, will you please remind us how you can identify the updated model? Are 2 pairs of binding posts an indication?
                    I'm not answering for James, but I do have some insite. I don't know if it's possible to idenfy the newer units. Mine is just a year old and has both sets of binding posts, but was one of the units affected by a blown channel. It was just this time last year that the blown channel issue surfaced as more than just a rare incident and Rotel realized they had an issue on their hands that needed to be adressed at the factory.

I've retired my 1080 to future two channel work in my study/library as the 1077 now does the HT duty.
                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• newb
                      • Jan 2005

Bigburner, I purchased my 1080 4mths ago I had the fuse repair done last month after the right channel died. Assuming ours came from the same distributor yours would not be updated.

FWIW, the repair took 1 week and I would like to consider myself one of the unfortunate few but if it happens again I will be asking for a new one or my money back.

You would think that due to the low cost of parts needed for the upgrade if this was a widespread or common occurance they would have modified the existing stock of 1080's. It would be fair to say that Rotel has previously had a reputaion as being reliable, surely they would want to protect it?

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                        I don't know if it's possible to idenfy the newer units. Mine is just a year old and has both sets of binding posts, but was one of the units affected by a blown channel.
                        I think Jerry is right about this BB. While mine has the clear/dual binding posts also, there was no obvious way to determine what I had on the surface. I had to dig "in" a little deeper to reveal what was inside.
                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• mpauline
                          • Dec 2003

Way to go Rotel!

Just thought I would provide an update on my problematic RB-1080. After the fourth failure in two years my amp has been replaced by Rotel. They claim that it is probably my home theater set up that is causing the blown fuse. Who knows as I have tried everything to fix it.

They sent me a new amp yesterday so I would like to give them credit for good customer service. I really like my Rotel gear and do not want the problem with my old 1080 to scare away other potential Rotel converts.

Mark

Comment

• Stevebez
                            • Oct 2003

Sorry to continue this saga ... but to refresh my story - bought 2nd hand 1080 in mint cond. Old model with coloured speaker terminals.

Worked flawlessly and then after a while channels started going ... a few left and 1 right. I was / am using 12v trigger.

I heard about the "fix" and sent my unit into Rotel. Came back all "serviced" new fuses all round (up to 8amp) even tough I had been using 8amp for some time already and they changed some bias and not sure what else - it did not seem like they changed any resistors or capacitors - dont think that was mentioned on the job card.

Anyhow had this done end of Sept last year ... unit was 100% until last week when noticed left was down ... dunno when it went, but was dead. Changed fuse again and am back up and running. There was a period when I was cycling my kit on and off in quick succession which probably did not help.

I guess I just have to accept this is going to be the case going forward with this amp ... think 2 channel 1092 will be next move, and keep the 1080 as a 'purist' amp... - not to flame things up!

Rgds Steve.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"