X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marekk
    • Jun 2005

RB-1080 Ch. down again

Bought RB 1080 in March this year; lost left ch. in end of May; Rotel did the resistor, capacitor and fuse (8Amp) fix, and the left ch. is good, but last night the right ch. went down. Rotel claims that the fix was done for both channels... Will send the amp to Rotel tomorrow.
    What do you think? (it is not a bad fuse) Curiouse of your oppinions.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

A bummer.

Check your wiring. Are you using the 12v trigger? Do you have enough clearance around the amp for heat dissipation?

This is indeed perplexing you are the first that I've heard getting the fix and still experiencing problems.

Faulty parts? I would indeed be curious to know what Rotel diagnoses.

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• cfrahme52
      • Aug 2005

My 1080 also blew the right fuses and was sent to Rotel last week.
      I too am wondering about the the fix and repair longevity.
      An earlier posting of mine ("RB1080 Fuses and Heat") details my experiences with the amp so far.
      My dealer has been fantastic and very supportive. Loaned me their RB1070 until my amp is back in. I'll share any insights upon my amps return.
      Last edited by cfrahme52; 20 October 2005, 19:27 Thursday.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Please let us know what they find. Rotel does watch this forum and they do know about the problem. The fact is that it occurs in a very small percentage of 1080's, usually due to certain speaker/wire combinations while using the 12v trigger.

If you are using the trigger, and it is verified that you had all the fixes in place, and it was just the fuse that blew; this should be interesting. I do remember one situation where it was tracked down to a bad crossover in one speaker causing the problem.

Kevin D.

Comment

• gianni
          • Nov 2002

This is why I'm thinking that for those who really don't need 200w, the RB-1070 is the way to go.

Comment

• bleeding ears
            • Nov 2004

cfrahme52 and gianni, I too have thought that the RB1070 would be a great alternative to the RB1080, the difference in wattage (130 V's 200) equates to only about 3 or 4 db in volume difference (I think ).

However from what the guys around here have said before the 1080 has a slightly better soundstage and probably benefits from better or even seperate power supplies for each channel.

Perhaps while cfrahme52 is waiting for his 1080 to return he can give us his opinions on how his system sounds with the 1070?

thanks guys

Comment

• gianni
              • Nov 2002

cfrahme52,

I too would be very interested in knowing what you think of the rb-1070 v the rb-1080 in your system.

Which speakers are you using?

Comment

• miner
                • Mar 2005

I am powering my N804 & ASW800 with a RB-1070. Sounds fantastic and I never go past the half way mark (12 o'clock position) and I like my music loud. My pre is a RC-1070, source RCC-1055.

Comment

• cfrahme52
                  • Aug 2005

Thanks to everyone for their interest.
                  I have a pair of MartinLogan Aerius in my main listening room.
                  Electronics include Rotel's RC1090/RCD1072/RB1080 (all purchased in March '04) and a SOTA t'table/Sumiko cartridge.
                  Interconnects at the moment are Nordost Solar Wind.
                  I am very happy with the sound of the system. Overall, it is very musical. Of course, with the MLs the sound is open and transparent and the soundstage is detailed. Mids are very good and I'm satisfied with the bass.
                  On most recordings, the speakers pretty much disappear.
                  FYI, my wife and I are both professional classical string players-she is a violinist, I'm a 'cellist. We listen to symphonic, chamber, jazz, folk and some rock.
                  To me, the 1070 drives the 'Logans as well as the 1080. I'm able to listen at the same levels and the amp doesn't seem strained at all.
                  The sound seems just slightly veiled and isn't as extended with the 1080.
                  The 1070 does the job, but to me, doesn't have the authority of the 1080.
                  Of course, the 1080 has a few amenities lacking in the 1070. But, the 1070 has been referred to as "bullet-proof" and doesn't seem to have the fuse issue. I've also noticed it runs much cooler than the 1080.
                  However, after having the RB1080 in the system, I definitely want it back!
                  Turnaround should be just a few days at Rotel-anxious to see/hear what's done to it.
                  Charlie
                  Last edited by cfrahme52; 13 October 2005, 07:36 Thursday.

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

*knocking on wood*

I guess I've been extremely lucky with my 1080, it's almost a year old now (will be in December) and I've been using it with the 12v trigger without any problems. Course it did have the bigger 8.3A fuse on it when I bought it (new)...and I keep fans on the amp to keep it cool (never gets above a tempid nature to the case when you put your hand on it)...maybe that's helped?!

I'll be interested in finding out if Rotel did indeed do something to fix your 1080!!!
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• atinaebud
                      • Sep 2005

Another RB 1080 user

I just got my RB1080 back from Rotel for the 2nd repair in less than 4 months for the same left channel that blew after it was supposed to be fixed the 1st time. 3x failure for same issue. The 2nd repair was the upgradeed fuses etc. and it still went kablooey. This 3rd repair was a replacement of the fuses again. I had a 45 minute phone conversation with George and it was his opinion that my Niles box was feeding back to the amp? as it was shutting down. I originally thought the unit was failing at start up but I believe he is correct in that this failure happens in shut down. I am running 3 prs of speakers and no one I talked to found fault with the set up, wire or any other issue. As for Rotel being aware of this problem, believe me they are; however, as more than one person has pointed out, this is their flagship amp and the only people (small minority) they hear from is us unfortunate ones who have this issue. It is indeed frustrating and although they will never say it, a lot of us are using the amp in ways it's not designed for. They keep fixing it and if it is indeed a faulty circuit will either replace the entire left channel or the unit, depending upon the problem. According to George it does take some justiying for a replacement. I would call them and talk to George or one of the other techs and see what they say. Although replacing the fuses is a little tricky, I have not tried it, George assured me it does not void the warranty. Talk to them first before attempting it or you may cause some unintended damage if you touch the wrong thing. Finally, as others in this forum have suggested, it may have a lot to do with the 12v trigger. I, for one am going to leave the unit running because as I said earlier, it's more likely a shut down issue than anything else. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Comment

• marekk
                        • Jun 2005

Thank you Azeke; and that's true -I'm the first, that I've heard of, that got the amp fixed in terms of resistor, capacitor, fuse upgrade, and still is experiencing problems - extreme bad luck? Seems from the very beginning, as when I was buying the amp I was aware of the small group that experiences the fuse problems. I have asked the salesman what fuses are in the amp (6.3 or 8 A?), he called Rotel and answered that the 8A is in the RB-1080, I asked to see it before the buying and the 6.3 A were inside... Started on a bad foot, but the dealer changed the fuses to 8A ones, and I have bought the amp. Then, after 3 months left ch. went down, Rotel made the fix, and now, after another 3 months the right ch. is down... The unit was sent to Rotel. Will update.
                        As far as I use it - the amp has plenty of space (about 10 inches clearence!), I'm not using any triggers, connected using MITs interconnectors with Denon 3805 as a preamp, and with Axiom 12 awg speaker wire (30 feet runs) to 4 Ohm Axiom M80s (one pair). Pretty straight forward set up, and I was able to find people who use RB-1080 in the same way, not having any trouble with the fuses or channel down condition...

Comment

• Stevebez
                          • Oct 2003

So far so good on my 1080 - repair done and still going fine - only a cple weeks though but its on and off at least 4 or 5 times a day via 12v trigger.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• lvhung
                            • Jun 2005

RB 1080, 1070 and 1050 have the same fuses of 6.3 A ?

Comment

• marekk
                              • Jun 2005

I know that 6.3 A for 1080 is not the best fit - the 8 A is better

Comment

• lvhung
                                • Jun 2005

Does your 1080's resistor or capacitor blow in the time left fuse blow ?

Comment

• lvhung
                                  • Jun 2005

Does your 1080's resistor or capacitor blow in the same time left fuse blow ?

Comment

• marekk
                                    • Jun 2005

my fuses were OK - it was an open resistor, as a reason for the left ch. down. The upgrade was done (resistor, capacitor and the fuses just in case), and now, after another 3 month, the right ch. is down (fuses are OK), do not know the reason as of yet - Rotel is looking into the problem.

Comment

• marekk
                                      • Jun 2005

Well, if anybody is still interested:
                                      my rb1080 is back from its second repair; the reason for rigth ch. down now was the same as was for left ch. down backin May: an open resistor. The sad thing is that back in May, when the left ch. was dead, I have asked Rotel to change the fuses, cap. and the resistor not only for the left-dead ch. but also for the right ch. so the repair will be proactive, as I have read that when it was not done in someone's else from this forum case, the other ch. went dead as well in a short time. Rotel assured me that it will be done, and I had my amp back and working in June. Now it turned out to be NOT TRUE what they said - they did NOT changed the resistor for the other ch. although claimed that they did. When I asked now why they did not do it back then when the first ch. died, they answered that it did not make any sense for them to do it back then... Obviously the experience and the input from the clients does not count.
                                      They also told me that they are not in a swapping amps buisness, and I should be happy that they repaired my amp much faster (a week) than the first time (almost a month) - what one can say to that..? Sad, sad, sad Rotel experiences....

Comment

• grit
                                        • Jan 2005

That's so incredibly disappointing, especially when I've been considering purchasing a 1080.

Comment

• marekk
                                          • Jun 2005

o yeah.... very much so.

Comment

• Marlboroman
                                            • Aug 2005

There is no resistor change in the modification for the fuse popping issue. They should have replaced the caps and the fuses for the mod. The resistor going out would only warranty them replacing that bad resistor. The real question I would ask is what caused your resistor(s), I am guessing that they were your input resistors, to go in the first place.

Comment

• marekk
                                              • Jun 2005

Very good point Marlboroman - especially considering that it happened for both channels, and I do not run the amp in any unusual configuration: I'm not using any triggers, it is connected using MITs interconnects. with Denon 3805 as a preamp, and with Axiom 12 awg speaker wire (30 feet runs) to 4 ohm Axiom M80s (one pair). Pretty straight forward set up... Quite puzzling and it feels like a defective amp, considering that other people run it (rb1080) in the same way without ANY issues.

But, as far as the resistor issue is concerned - perhaps it should be a standard upgrade, along with the fuse & cap. I asked for it when my first channel went down - Rotel did not do it - and the resistor went down on the second channel. I only asked Rotel for both, because I've found on the Forum people who went through the same (bad resistor on one ch. - no upgrade of the second ch. - problem with the second ch.). Thus I tried to be proactive.
                                              Perhaps it would be better for business to listen to the customers, as I keep spotting other people turning to other equipment (instead getting the rb1080, which they considered first) due to the "fuse etc. problems"...
                                              I feel like the 1080 is a good amp and it is a shame to loose customers due to the very issue - Rotel should be able to fix it in a solid way and be more open to the experiences that people try to share (at very least to replace a resistor, while asked - it costs only a dollar!).

Comment

• Azeke
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2003

I also utilize MIT interconnects (AVT-3 bi-wire), with the terminator boxes, and I have experienced channel issues with my RB-1080 (hmmm, a common denominator). I just leave the amp on, and after upgrading to the 8A fuses, and I have not experienced any blown channel issues since.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• marekk
                                                  • Jun 2005

Then it looks like it not the MIT interconnects. I switch the amp off and on in the line conditioner (Monster HTS 3600), where all my equipment is connected. I was told by Rotel that it is perfectly fine to do so.

Comment

• RickF
                                                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by marekk
                                                    Then it looks like it not the MIT interconnects. I switch the amp off and on in the line conditioner (Monster HTS 3600), where all my equipment is connected. I was told by Rotel that it is perfectly fine to do so.
                                                    Marekk, you and I are running extremely similar systems. Mine is an H/K 635 as a pre/pro with M80Ti fronts being supplied by the 1080 and with the 1080 being turned off and on via a Monster HTS 2600. I was told the same thing by my Rotel dealer, but I was also told the I would have the unit back in 10 days. Today is the 12th day and was informed by my dealer yesterday that it will be another week.
                                                    Needless to say, I ain't too happy at the moment.

BTW, my right channel blew.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by RickF
                                                      I was also told the I would have the unit back in 10 days. Today is the 12th day and was informed by my dealer yesterday that it will be another week.
                                                      Needless to say, I ain't too happy at the moment.
                                                      Hey Rick

Where in Florida are you? You do know that the bulk of the state was devistated by Hurricane Wilma only 9 days ago. That may have something to do with the delay since your dealer would have had to send the unit to the distributor in Miami, and that's probably where it was when Wilma struck.

P.S. I'd really like to listen to the Axioms if you are relatively close.
                                                      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• RickF
                                                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                                                        Hey Rick

Where in Florida are you? You do know that the bulk of the state was devistated by Hurricane Wilma only 9 days ago. That may have something to do with the delay since your dealer would have had to send the unit to the distributor in Miami, and that's probably where it was when Wilma struck.

P.S. I'd really like to listen to the Axioms if you are relatively close.
                                                        DrJ, actually I am in Vero Beach and the dealer said my 1080 was headed up to factory repair facility in Mass., it made it up there just a couple of days after I dropped the unit off.
                                                        I still like my Rotel gear and I'll be adding an RB-1095 and a 1098 in due time...it's just frustrating, but, everything considered and looking at what a lot of folks have been through in the past couple of months I must say my complaints are minimal.

Sure come on up and take a listen, I also have a pair of 60s and the EP600 sub. We're in the middle of making a room addition for the gear and it should be finished here in the next few weeks, you're welcome to stop by anytime!

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Apr 2003

Thanks Rick....You may want to come here and listen to the 1077 with the 1098 before jumping on the 1095. I'm just a little over an hour away. Lake Worth Road exit on Tp.
                                                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• RickF
                                                            • Apr 2005

Thanks Rick....You may want to come here and listen to the 1077 with the 1098 before jumping on the 1095. I'm just a little over an hour away. Lake Worth Road exit on Tp.

Thank you Jerry, I may do that. I work down that way and may give you a shout one of these days. I appreciate the offer!

Comment

• marekk
                                                              • Jun 2005

Rick - if this (right ch. dead) is your first time with the issue, you may insist that Rotel will change both resistors (for left and the right ch.) - they didn't do it when my left went down and the same happened to the right 3 months later. Just an advice.

Comment

• RickF
                                                                • Apr 2005

Thanks Marekk, I did ask my dealer about that and was told that both channels would be upgraded...now in due time we'll see.

Comment

• marekk
                                                                  • Jun 2005

I was told the same by Rotel when the first ch. went down, but now, after the second ch. dead, they told me that back then they only thought of fuses and capacitors, when they mentioned that the "upgrades" are done ALWAYS for both channels; even when it was a broken (open) resistor that caused the silence of the channel...
                                                                  In any case - good luck.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jun 2004

This bothers me.

Comment

• RickF
                                                                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dmantis
                                                                      This bothers me.
                                                                      Me too, what bothers me more though ... I *finally* got my 1080 back from the dealer today (45 miles away), I was impressed how well they boxed it but I am absolutely not impressed that they did not ship my power cord back to me in the box.

The Parasounds are looking mighty inviting at this particular moment.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Apr 2003

Me too, what bothers me more though ... I *finally* got my 1080 back from the dealer today (45 miles away), I was impressed how well they boxed it but I am absolutely not impressed that they did not ship my power cord back to me in the box.

The Parasounds are looking mighty inviting at this particular moment.

I hear ya Rick. I felt exactly the same way last year when my 1080 went down and it took 7 weeks between my dealer, the distributor and Rotel to get it back to me, and it came back with stripped case screws....damn!

I went so far as to buy a Halo A21...... my decision, well, I'm still a Rotel listener. The Halo just couldn't compete with the 1080 in SQ.
                                                                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• RickF
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Apr 2005

I hear ya Rick. I felt exactly the same way last year when my 1080 went down and it took 7 weeks between my dealer, the distributor and Rotel to get it back to me, and it came back with stripped case screws....damn!

I went so far as to buy a Halo A21...... my decision, well, I'm still a Rotel listener. The Halo just couldn't compete with the 1080 in SQ.
                                                                          Sure can get aggravating DrJ! Oh well, the dealer is going to send me a power cord but in the mean time I'm on way to Radio Shack to get another...I'll use it for a spare!

'Stripped case screws'? Doh, I haven't even looked yet ... I believe I'll keep my eyes closed on that one!

Hopefully in an hour or so she'll be up and running.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 3139

I was impressed how well they boxed it but I am absolutely not impressed that they did not ship my power cord back to me in the box.
                                                                            RickF, I am on the verge of experiencing my first repair with Rotel. Based on your situation and others like yours, I am a little concerned about the quality of the repair to be had with my RDV-1050. To illustrate this I asked Rotel Technical Support about the care they take with the equipment they receive. I also asked if it would be necessary to include all of the parts, like power cords, for the very reasons you mentioned. Since I'll be sending in a unit in mint condition and I will expect it back in mint condition.

Jerry, your disgust is exactly what I am hoping to avoid.

Time will tell but rest assured I will be certain to let everyone know how it goes in my case. Bryston is looking better and better.
                                                                            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Apr 2003
                                                                              • 1204

#39
                                                                              Yeah, the aggrivating thing about the case screws was that my 1080 was only three weeks old when the left channel poped. I didn't even have the honor of putting the first scratches on it! In all fairness, Rotel tech support did offer to replace my 1080 after they damaged it. However, after going thru all the hassel, I just painted the silver showing in the center of the screws black.

James, I can give you the name of someone "high up" in Rotel tech support to email/talk to. If you tell them that the slightest "s---w up and you'll blab it to the world on this forum, that will get their attention. I did a lot of badmouthing here last year and that's what finally got me the attention that I deserved from the start. I was sorry it had to come to that, but nothing else seemed to work.

I was intriegued by the 1077, but I can almost bet my next component won't be a Rotel. Classe perhaps. I'm ready to pay for the higher reliability.
                                                                              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 3139

#40
                                                                                Thanks Jerry, I appreciate the support. If it goes that far, I will certainly take you up on your offer.

I have considered Classe' too. To bad that it would take me twice as long to build up enough capital for a complete system.
                                                                                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• mpauline
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2003
                                                                                  • 178

#41
                                                                                  1080 Dead again

:M

Add me to the list of unhappy 1080 owners. Mine failed last night for the fourth time. I have supposedly had the cap, res, fuses changed on both channels the last time. However I have to wonder if that did occur.

I have changed interconnects, hooked up different speakers, etc, and the same problem has happened again.

I guess I will see what Rotel has to say this time around. I am extremely frustrated and have to question whether I will continue to support Rotel in the future.

Mark

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2003
                                                                                    • 1204

#42
                                                                                    Mark

Your patience and civility over this matter is admirable. You deserve better!
                                                                                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• marekk
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2005
                                                                                      • 26

#43
                                                                                      And please let us know what Rotel says - good luck!

Comment

• Mitchell
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2004
                                                                                        • 202

#44
                                                                                        I have a 1080 that has been down twice. Every time I turn it on I hold my breath and pray that both channels work. Are there any other examples of the latest fixes not working and solving the problem completely?
                                                                                        Nothing like having guests and having them look at my beautiful expensive system and asking why it doesnt play.
                                                                                        Mitchell

Comment

• JDH
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2004
                                                                                          • 270

#45
                                                                                          I had 3 left channel failures on two different new RB-1080's over only six to seven months after the 4th time Rotel replaced it with another new modified unit that had the Fuse/Cap/Resistor upgrade, since mid June I haven't had a problem so I must either be one of the lucky ones or hopefully the mod actually solved this issue for me. Basically its worked perfectly since the upgrade was done, I use the 12V trigger etc too.
                                                                                          Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"