X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheTownHalo
    • Oct 2005

RCD-1072 > Vinyl ?

I'm a long-time vinyl proponent. For the first time in my life, I may be starting to prefer CD's. Why? The Rotel RCD-1072. The more it breaks in, the better it sounds, and the more I find myself wanting to listen to CD's instead of vinyl. I never knew digital could sound this good. Now, I do have a decent turntable and cartridge (Pro-Ject 1.2 w/ Sumiko Oyster). And yes, a good vinyl pressing can still offer a little more realism in the sound. However, when you consider that there is no surface noise or clicks & pops at any time when listening to the 1072, the slight edge that vinyl has in sound starts to evaporate.

I've finally reached a point where clarity seems to be most important. It wasn't before, because my vinyl was always miles ahead in terms of sound, but this Rotel CD deck has changed all of that. Deep, tight bass and a warm sound is something I didn't think could be achieved in a digital medium. Rotel has changed all of that for me.
  • TheTownHalo
    • Oct 2005

Hmmm....well, a lot of what I said is true, in my opinion, but...

I just A/B'd my Mobile Fidelity Soundlabs vinyl of Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything vs. the Rhino CD, and the difference is staggering. (woah, does the vinyl sound good) Now, granted, I'm comparing the CD to an audiophile vinyl pressing, but still..............................

I guess I'll always have both formats. It just depends on the pressing or the CD when deciding which to go with for a particular album. A good 200-gram audiophile vinyl is still hard to beat, but those DSD remastered Rolling Stones and Brian Eno albums are almost equally as good, and in that case, better (because of clarity).....

Anyone agree/disagree w/ my thoughts? BTW, I'm glad I found a Rotel and B&W forum! This is great...

Comment

• H.Donald
      • Aug 2004

I can't say that I have ever been able to listen to really great vinyl.Years ago when I had records they were all destroyed...and that was before I really got into good equipment.It has been digital since....
      But,I have heard many people speak of vinyl being superior....

Nothing wrong with having choices....as you do.

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

Don't forget that old vinyl mixes where often done with alot less dynamic compression than newer CD mixes; everyone wanting to sound the loudest...

And an "audiophile" pressing will not have heavy compression I guess.

So the difference isn't just in the medium

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

A bit of a twist, but, TownHalo, if you get a chance to demo a tubed cd player take it as you may be pleasantly surprised. They can be somethin special.

Comment

• rpryan
            • Mar 2005

and if add a kingcat silver interconnect you will even hear a clearer sound.IMHO

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"