X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

Originally posted by PewterTA
    I'll bring the home made wine and potentially a Cambridge Audio 840c CDP. You know, to better help with the CD or Vinyl thing. :T
    If you should get that player be sure to let us all know how it sounds. Still, don't think it can best vinyl but still be an interesting comparison. I'm curious how it's dither option affects sound quality. I suspect that could help the sound a lot with some CDs. I've found dither very helpful with past digital products I've owned.

I have a PS Audio Digital Link III DAC that I'm very happy with. Though, I wouldn't mind hearing an 840C to compare. Probably never get that chance though.
    Last edited by Johnloudb; 08 August 2008, 03:06 Friday.
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Russ L
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Johnloudb
      If you should get that player be sure to let us all know how it sounds. Still, don't think it can best vinyl but still be an interesting comparison.
      The 840C won't best vinyl but it does sounds natural like vinyl. It combines the best features of TTs with the best features of CDs. Low jitter, upsampling etc. in a dual differential layout and an incredible DSP make the difference. I've had one for over a year and all my comments about CDs comparing well nowadays to vinyl are based on having the 840 in my system.
      Russ

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

Originally posted by Russ L
        The 840C won't best vinyl but it does sounds natural like vinyl. It combines the best features of TTs with the best features of CDs. Low jitter, upsampling etc. in a dual differential layout and an incredible DSP make the difference. I've had one for over a year and all my comments about CDs comparing well nowadays to vinyl are based on having the 840 in my system.
        Thanks for the critique - Sounds like quit a machine. Kind a wish I had one now. Although, I can't complain about the PS Audio which is a great sounding DAC.
        John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
          I'll bring the home made wine and potentially a Cambridge Audio 840c CDP. You know, to better help with the CD or Vinyl thing. :T
          It's about time! :B I have been waiting to buy your 640 v2 for over a year :Z , and Doug may still be interested in my 640 v1 that I originally got from you. :T
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I may be.... lol

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

By the way Bill did you ever get that PM I sent you? Maybe it didn't send...

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

I auditioned (in-store) an 840C earlier this year and thought it sounded very good. It was run through a Mark Levinson pre and Bryston 14b sst. The ICs and speaker cables were Nordost and the speakers were Revel Salons. My clock radio might have amazed me with that rig!
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Johnloudb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2007

I just saw this Thorens TD125 MkII turntable on Ebay. This is the same 35 year old table I have, and I'm so happy with it. It's belt driven and has a built in speed strobe to keep the speed adjusted correctly. This one looks in great shape, so someone might want to check this out.

Here: Thorens TD125 MKII on Ebay

I don't know what tonearm or cartridge it has though. Bidding ends in 1 day, 16 hours.

I probably violating rules here, but I'm in no way associated with the seller.
                  John unk:

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"