X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clubdye_048
    • Jan 2010

More Evidence of the Resurgence of Vinyl

More Evidence of the Resurgence of Vinyl

Chances are, if you’re not a record collector or follower of certain “niche” bands, you may not have heard the news: vinyl is back.

Well, sort of. As the record industry laments the decline of the CD — and along with it, the “purchasable object” paradigm upon which the whole industry was built — in deference to the “downloadable content” model, there’s something of a counter-trend going on. A small but growing number of musicians and labels are releasing their latest recordings on 12-inch-33-1/3-RPM-analogue-good-ol’-vinyl-records. And a small but growing segment of the market is there creating demand for the stuff. I don’t think anyone has delusions of a return to the days of LPs as the dominant mass-market format, but the trend is still significant.

The connection to archiving here is that the “purchasable object” for consumers has also been the collectible, shelvable, accessible, preservable object for libraries and archives. While digital content management for both preservation and access is clearly our future (and is rapidly becoming our present), the technological and legal issues entangling digital file-based content are legion. And they aren’t likely to be solved any time soon.

What’s not so clear is if and how the growing niche market for newly-minted LPs will impact library and archive collections. My guess is that, since most new recordings issued on LP will be rather limited pressings (the current model seems to be the release of a “collector’s edition” LP in addition to MP3s and maybe a CD), the only way they will be heard in a generation or two from now is if some archive has acquired and preserved a copy.

This has in fact been the case with many of the “ethnic” recordings issued in the first half of the 20th century and held here in the Ethnomusicology Archive: produced by specialty labels in limited runs and often meant only for consumption by a particular immigrant community in the United States, they quickly went out of print. Now, fifty to one hundred years later, many of these recordings are to be found, if at all, in either institutional archives or private collections. This is especially true of 78 RPM shellac records, which both wore out more quickly from playing, and broke more easily (think of dropping Grandma’s fine china on a sidewalk) than their vinyl successors, LPs and 45s. And as the private collectors die off, and their families decide what do do with all those records taking up so much space in the house, that leaves archives as the guardians of those bits of our cultural history.

Anyhow, about that evidence I mentioned… This was posted the other day by Tom Fine, one of the very knowledgable contributors to the ARSClist. Note that what’s important is that most of these plants are re-starting, or starting for the first time, pressing vinyl LPs because of the recent increase in demand:

Here is the finalized list of vinyl pressing plants I could confirm. There is allegedly an old Russian plant about to restart, but I could get no first-hand confirmation. Also, I would be very surprised if there are zero vinyl pressing plants in Latin America, Africa and Asia outside of Japan. That said, I could track down no first-hand information of such plants. This list may be used on your websites or blogs as you see fit.

CONFIRMED VINYL PRESSING PLANTS AS OF 1/8/10

RECORD TECHNOLOGY INC (RTI) – Camarillo, CA USA
    Established in 1974, Record Technology, Inc. is a World Class Audiophile Record Pressing Facility in Camarillo, California.

UNITED RECORD PRESSING – Nashville, TN USA
    From lacquer mastering to packaging components, United Record Pressing has blended creativity, quality, and flexibility for over 70 years.

RAINBO RECORDS – Canoga Park, CA USA

MUSICOL RECORDING – Columbus, OH USA

MMP – Neunkirchen-Seelscheid, GERMANY

ERIKA RECORDS – Downey, CA USA
    vinyl records, vinyl record pressing plant, colored records, picture records, shape records, vinyl record manufacturing, Erika Records, splatter vinyl records, vinyl record lacquer mastering, etched vinyl records, colored vinyl records, 12 inch vinyl records, 7inch vinyl records, 180 gm vinyl record

DYNAMIC SUN – Newark, NJ USA
    Buy a domain and see how a premium domain can be the best investment. Your business starts here. Buy a domain today.

CURVED LTD – Hackney, London, UK

ZENITH RECORD PRESSING – Albion, Victory, AUSTRALIA

ARCHER RECORD PRESSING – Detroit, MI USA

BROOKLYNPHONO – Brooklyn, NY USA

RECORD INDUSTRY – Haarlem, Netherlands
    With 33 presses, Record Industry is one of the largest, most automated vinyl pressing plants in the world.

PORTALSPACE Records – Hayes, Middlesex UK

BILL SMITH CUSTOM RECORDS – El Segundo, CA USA

A&R RECORD MANUFACTURING – Dallas, TX USA

GZ VINYL – Lodenice, CZECH REPUBLIC

TOYOKASEI CO., LTD – Yokohama, Kanagawa, JAPAN

PALLAS GROUP – Diepolz, GERMANY

OPTIMAL MEDIA PRODUCTION – Röbel, GERMANY

R.A.N.D. MUZIK – Leipzig, GERMANY

MPO GROUP – Averton, FRANCE

TAIL RECORDS VINYL – Göteborg, SWEDEN
  • clubdye_048
    • Jan 2010

As a new comer to this cool forum I just have to let everyone know about the vinyl comeback - check out this video from youtube. Enjoy -
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Thanks for links, there are a few more analog junkies here that you might expect.

Join us on the ‘what’s spinning’ thread.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Mike_Schmidt
        • Mar 2009

Im glad you posted. I have a Rega P5 TTPSU and a moon lp3 phono running into Parasound JC2 and A21 Power amp. My problem is my turntable loses so much volume from cd around half even with the 60db gain. Its a dynavector karot cart as well. Any ideas what might be wrong

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Mike, you gonna pick up the new JC3 preamp?
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Industrial
            • Mar 2009

Funny you post this. I'm trying to get into vinyl as well. Have been researching for over 2 months and overloaded with various contradicting information

Won't do used unless its from a local vendor since I want the support in case I need it. What I'm looking into is to me high end but from reviews etc appears to be budget and mid-end ($1500 to $2000). Limiting myself to local because of the reasons above. So that leaves me with brands like pro-ject, clearaudio and Roksan. Wish we had VPI (the scout looks really nice) here but I would have to travel 300miles or more to get to a dealer.

Anyways, sorry for the threadjacking!!

Comment

• phizzle.pants
              • Jan 2010

You almost forgot..

There's another record pressing manufacturer located in San Francisco that can send packages out to anywhere in the world.

The also have printing services to offer a one-stop shop for musicians.

Not only are they affordable, but the guys at Recordpressing are efficient, quick to respond, easy to work with, and the finishing product is high quality.

You can get a quote by visiting their website at: www.recordpressing.com.

They're also on Facebook, Twitter and Wordpress. Check them out

Comment

• Mike_Schmidt
                • Mar 2009

Cant afford it Chris LOL

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mike_Schmidt
                  Im glad you posted. I have a Rega P5 TTPSU and a moon lp3 phono running into Parasound JC2 and A21 Power amp. My problem is my turntable loses so much volume from cd around half even with the 60db gain. Its a dynavector karot cart as well. Any ideas what might be wrong
                  Hi Mike,

At .23 mV, the Karat is a Low Output cart. What is the impedance loading of your moon lp3 set at? Have you ever tried using a step-up transformer?
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Mike_Schmidt
                    • Mar 2009

I think my phono is set at 100 ohm and 100 something else??? I did it myself due to it coming stock as a MM. I havent listened for a couple of weeks but when I did I thought right away whoa thats not right. Not sure what is going on with the volume loss

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"