X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doodleboytoy
    • Jun 2003

1090 with tube preamp???

I am toying with the idea of using a tube pre-amp with 1090 amp for B&W 803 speakers.

Anybody tried such a set-up? How does Rotel SS Amp with tubes sound? I heard people using Antem amp to drive tube pre amps but never rotel. What tube pre would match with Rotel amps best?
  • Matt Sprouls
    • Apr 2003

I have been listening the last couple of days to a Conrad Johnson PV14L pre-amp driving a Rotel RMB-1095. I think it sounds great. I currently have an Anthem AVM20 for pre-amp.

I may not be convinced that it is worth the extra cost, but it is a better more relaxed sound. Conrad Johnson has processor pass-through allowing for very easy integration to a HT setup.

I have also been listening to a Conrad Johnson MF2500 amp. It sounds very nice also, again a more relaxed sound. The more I compare amplifiers to the Rotel the more I see the value in Rotel, huge bang for the buck. You do have to spend a lot more money to get improvements in sound.

Regards,
    Matt
    Regards,
    Matt

Comment

• doodleboytoy
      • Jun 2003

I am contemplating on trying out Rogue tube pre-amp with the 1090. It retails for around $1,500 so still affordable. I am not ready to spend a whole lot on the Conrad for marginal musical improvements he he he. Anybody tried other brands?

Comment

• dave
        • Aug 2003

I've paired a VTL-2.5 with my 1095 and a 1066 is used between them. When listening to music I run my front channels in stereo and use my center and rears for ambiance. The VTL is not as warm as the CJ but rather a combination of tube warmth and solid state clarity. Im using nos mullard tubes that give me a very smooth flat response. This combination gives me a much fuller sound sound field with stunning realism. Hope this helps,,, Dave.............
        Dave...

Comment

• doodleboytoy
          • Jun 2003

That is kinda my plan too. Use 1090 to power fronts then 1055 in between and tube pre for stereo music.

Was thinking of using rigue 66 or 88 pre-amp.

Seems though that not too many people use a tube pre with rotel from the number of replies

Comment

• Tapesh
            • Oct 2003

I am using Antique sound labs AQ2004DT. Its primitive but good enough to get you started at $300.00.

I am using it with my RB-1090. Using Magnepan MMGs and Polk Lsi9, actually still testing to see which ones to keep.

Not a qualified Audiophile to comment but for me its working out pretty well. Don’t have SS Pre-Amp so cant say if its better or not. Tried my Denon AVR-3300 with RB-1090 it wasn’t good enough.

Thanks

Tapesh

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"