X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fritz
    • Nov 2004

B&W 600 Series Crossover Modificaitons

Hello all,
    Happy turkey day! Ive been reading your forum for a while now and it has sparked an interest in me again. When I was younger my father and I used to build alot of different speaker systems for the fun of it. We got into crossover components, wiring point to point on everything including our amps and preamps.
    Tube equipment. Siver wire from jewely shops and different capacitors, resistors and coils for our speakers. My fathers system was an old Dynaco power amp and preamp. plus all his room accusstics. His system was just a two channel system but the imaging and spread was so amazing you would swear it was surround sound. My system was a Sonic Frontiers tube amp, Conrad johnson preamp and home built speakers that IMO didnt sound as good as his. Since then I set aside
    my equipment and purchased a Denon AVR3200 recever and used it with my homebrew speakers for a few years to enjoy the media content with DVDs.
    About 8 months ago I purchased B&W 603 s3 mains, LCR 600 s3 center, ASW 600 sub and the dm 600 s3 rears. These are pleasent sounding speakers and I expected good design in the crossovers and cabnet quality. I am aware of the artical published by B&W and thier designed crossovers. Out of curiousity I decided to take a look at them. There are a few things that I was not to impressed with. The first was they choose to use clip ons for the internal wiring instead of soilders them. Also I expected to see point to point wiring. Instead they are mounted on pcb. They also have what appears to be a heavy gauge zip cord wire for the internals which could be upgraded. This lead me to question the quality of the capacitors being used in the crossover. I understand that these arent the top of the line speakers but for the price one pays for them I was hoping for a little more. Dont get me wrong, I do think they are nice speakers but they could have done better. The caps in the crossovers are 4.7uf and 10uf. I had some Wonder Cap capacitors laying around
    so I replaced them. On the 4.7uf I could only come up with 4.8uf with the wonder caps but tried them any way. Just by replacing the caps made a huge difference in the sound quality. Also I solderd the wiring instead of the clips.
    The imaging improved alot and the depth and width of the sound stage increased quite a bit. Im also biwiring them. The center chanel also became less muddy in the sound. The construction quality of the drivers are very good. With the improvment in sound quality I got from the front mains and center I plan on doing the rears also to keep them matched. I wasnt impressed with the quality of the rears as they are made from a plastic compound as opposed to the fronts drivers which are metal composits.
    Overall given marketing concerns and cost of mass production I do feel these are good speaker compaired to other brands. Any thoughs welcome.

Fritz
  • kinki
    • Jul 2005

Hi Fritz
    I'm very intersting on this modification
    Can you send me a schema or picture of 603's crossover
    What are brand of component which B&W used, do they use MCAP or Solen ?
    My mail is : ca_kinki@yahoo.com

Comment

• T_Rex
      • Apr 2005

The first was they choose to use clip ons for the internal wiring instead of soilders them.
      Hi Fritz

I heard that they use the clips instead of soldering because the clips are consistantly crimped the same way. But, one guy solders differently to the next, so consistancy will be compromised depending on who is soldering? Makes sense to me.

Enjoy your crossover modifications... :T
      Matt

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"