X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Howard Schneck
    • Sep 2005

Long Phono Cables Question

I have a question about using long phono cables with my Rotel Rx-1052 receiver. My receiver is on one floor and my turntable and good speakers on another floor. I control via a remote IR Receiver. I have a 50 ft shielded audio cable between the Rx-1052 and turntable.

Besides a possibly lower signal, will the sound from my turntable be affected much by the lenght of the cables? Would using a Rotel Phono Pre-amp (or other) with the 50 ft cables help this?

I seem to detect the music being flatter and not as bright as it was when it was hooked up directly to the receiver.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Howard Schneck
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

The signal loss isn't linear. You loose more off the top than from the mids and lows. Using a phono preamp to boost voltages certainly will help.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

I agree with Jery,

Long RCA line level cables tend to have high capacitances and higher than normal resistance and inductances... The net effect is to roll off / and (sometimes) slightly smear the high frequencies...

A good line level phone pre-amp right next to the turntable would help both boos the line signat from the typical 1 or 2 mV level of the phone cartridge to 1V...

A better quality (especially low capacitance) cable would also help...

Geoff

Comment

• Howard Schneck
        • Sep 2005

Thank you both for your help. I think I'll invest in a pre-amp.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"