X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • InTheRed
    • Mar 2004

Phono ground work around??

I'm looking hard at getting a 1068/1075 combo and had a few questions before I take the plunge.

It seems the 1068 (and most of Rotel's centerpieces) does not have a phono input and, more specifically, a phono ground. Unfortunately, the cables from my turntable are hardwired and have a ground wire. I know that on my current receiver, Pioneer VSX-99, if the ground is not hooked up, AC hum will occur.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion to fix this (ground to the chassis screw maybe??) and how you guys are hooking up your turntables to Rotel gear in general.

Thanks
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I believe that the phono preamp that you will need to get will have the ground on it. I know Rotel makes one, but I think others will chime in with better (and possibly cheaper) recommendations.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aphexist
      • Jan 2004

You will need to buy a phono pre-amp. This will have a ground wire screw.

You can find a selection at http://www.needledoctor.com

If you are looking for an entry level pre-amp, the Pro-ject Phono Box and the Creek OB-H are decent.

Comment

• JoeHard
        • Jan 2004

I have a 1066 with a B&O turntable. I use a Parasound phono pre-amp that costs about $125. Works fine for me but I admit I listen to very little vinyl.

Comment

• InTheRed
          • Mar 2004

h:

The above emoticon's jaw does not hit the floor, so it is lees than accurate. 15k for a turntable pre-amp!? I never even realized. Do some turntables have the preamps on board? Do turntables just put out a weaker signal (lower than line level)?

I guess all my receivers to date have had on board preamps. I'm old enough that I grew up with LPs, but young enough that the CD took over before I was buying any substantial equipment myself. I use my turntable to indulge in some "holy crap, I forgot about that" moments more than actual critical listening.

It's not a deal breaker, but it would have been nice to include it. I assume this was just a priority measure or do most vinyl audiophiles want their own preamps anyway?

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I assume this was just a priority measure or do most vinyl audiophiles want their own preamps anyway?
            Most receiver's internal phono amps are pretty cheap and as such, yes most audiophiles prefer an external unit. Pretty much why Rotel didn't add the cost and bother of them in their gear.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
            Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Apparently the cheap (sub $50) Little Rat from Radio Shack of all places is a very decent phono pre amp. Its a battery opperated unit and from what I've read doesn't embarress itself with far more expensive units...but I have very little real world experience with phono's

Comment

• stantheman
                • Feb 2004

Crutchfield sells an AC-powerd phono preamp for $30, and pnonpreamps.com sells a variety of phono preamps for $30 to $100. I would certainly check those out before dropping $15K at Needledoctor.com for one.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"