X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

1066 and DVD-A

I'm having a small problem with the 1066 and my Denon 1600 when using the analog 5.1 ins for DVD-A. It seems to be defaulting Dolby Pro Logic II. How do I get it to just play the straight analog signal as is? I've resorted to hiting the 2-channel button on the front which I think is working but not sure. Of course then when I switch back to say my digital cable box which I have set to the default of DPL II Cinema it stays in stereo and I have to switch it back... :? Also if I set up the DVD-A player with sub on (as I've heard some discs won't play if you don't have the LFE channel engaged) and no sub in the 1066, the Rotel will re-route the bass from the LFE to the main channels, right?

Also anyone who owns the Denon 1600 know how to tell if it's playing the DVD-A track rather than the Dolby Digital track? There seems to be nothing on the display which would tell me one way or the other. Are we just to assume when we put a DVD-A disc in, that it will play the appropriate hi-res track?

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

The analog 5.1 in on the 1066 is totally analog bypassed. If you hit the Multi Input button on the front panel or the Ext In button on the remote, you're listening to the 1600's straight analog. The red Multi LED lights up on the front display and, with the newer firmware, the display changes to MULTI. However, the sound mode display of the previous source input (i.e., DPL II for your cable box) doesn't change. So you will still see DPL II on the display, but rest assured, you're in analog bypass. Consequently, selecting sub or no sub on the 1066 will have no effect on the output from the 1600. You will need to set the speaker sizes in the 1600 to get what you want in terms of bass management. The 1600 doesn't have selectable crossovers; I think it's fixed at 80 Hz. I think DVD-A players automatically access the DVD-A layer. If it's a DVD-V-only player, it will access the Dolby Digital layer.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Thanks Will, Glad to know that it's playing the analog signal straight through even if it's say's DLP II on the front. Though that is kinda dumb though.... :? Also glad to know that the 1600 should automatically play the DVD-A track. I have set up the bass management in the 1600, what I'm hoping to find out however is if I have the sub set to on in the 1600 and off in the 1066 does the 1066 re-direct the LFE to the mains?

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• will1066
        • Aug 2003

If you have sub set to on in the 1600, your sub will play LFE or deep bass no matter what the sub setting on the 1066. The 1066 cannot apply bass management to the multi input signal.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

But you can set the sub to off on the 1066 when using the multi-ins. So does the LFE just dissapear altogether then?

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• will1066
            • Aug 2003

I think I finally got your question. Yes, you can eliminate the subwoofer channel by lowering the sub level in the Sub Setup all the way to OFF. But if you have your speakers set to small in the Denon, you're cutting off the low end of your music.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Speakers are all set to large, Sub = yes in Denon.

Speakers are all large, Sub = no in 1066 multi-in. Looks like I might have to change that if I want any of the info that might be in the LFE channel or experiment with the sub off in the Denon as I believe the Denon then re-directs the bass. I was really hoping the 1066 would redirect the incoming LFE signal to the mains. Just one more reason digital bass management is what we truly need....sigh...

Jason

Comment

• Scarp
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by will1066
                If you have sub set to on in the 1600, your sub will play LFE or deep bass no matter what the sub setting on the 1066. The 1066 cannot apply bass management to the multi input signal.
                Actually it *does* do something with bass and thats the bass redirect. I.e. it creates the LFE from all 6 inputs.

Make sure you do the resistor cut fix on the 1066, so you get really the straight analog pass-through (with only volume control applied) on the multi channel input

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

So it creates the LFE from all 6 inputs but won't re-direct the LFE signal to the main speakers then?

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• will1066
                    • Aug 2003

Scarp, that was assumed. I'm sure everyone who comes here regularly knows about the bass redirect and the resistor cut.

J.R., why don't you set the sub = off in the Denon? Won't that redirect LFE, if there is any, to the main speakers, which you have set = Large? That's what the Denon *should* do anyway, under proper bass management principles. You're watching movies through Rotel's DD and dts decoding anyway, right? Very few multichannel recordings have LFEs intended for the subwoofer channel anway.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

I've heard of some discs not playing at all in players that have the sub turned off but after talking to you guys I think I'll just cross that bridge if I come to it. I'm going to do some listening to determine if I mind having the sub on or prefer having it re-directed in the player.

J.R.

Jason

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"