X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johanas007
    • Jul 2005

Rotel & BW sub issue

Hey all. I have the following equipment which for the most part sounds amazing, however the sub has a rattle that is distracting whenever the sound punches on movies. I don't know if this is defective or set-up incorrectly. I have only had the gear for a few months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really have no idea how to set the controls on the back of my sub. My dealer set up the system but I thought I would get everyones reccomendations prior to calling him back. Also, the sub is sitting on a hardwood floor if that makes any difference.

Rotel RSX-1056
    B&W 705's for front left/right
    B&W HTM7 center
    B&W CCM65 surround left/right
    B&W ASW600 sub

Thanks, John :T
    John :T
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

John,
    Check the mounting screws on your sub - they may need to be tightened. They can loosen up over time which can result in the driver causing a rattle like you describe.

Comment

• Sim reality
      • Aug 2005

A physical rattle is a defect somewhere (Something is physically loose)... Is it actually coming from the sub or the furnature around it?

You best bet is to find a soundtrack where it is consistantly reproducable and crawl around and see if you can localise it... (I was about to say take a paper towel to your ear to help localize it but if you have B&W 705's I don't think your ears will really need that much help)

Good luck!

Comment

• gianni
        • Nov 2002

If this is happening during peaks or as you describe 'punches', the sub may be being over driven and bottoming out. I've had this happen on an older smaller sub. The answer in this case is to either limit volume on tracks with intense low bass or turn down the sub settings for these tracks. In your setup menu, you can adjust these for movie tracks....I suspect this is only happening with movies and not music.

All of this of course assuming there is not a defect with the sub.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Check your ports. The tubes coming off of them on the B&W's are glued on. I've seen them fall off before. It's most likely overdriven or other things around the sub though.

Kevin D.

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Is there anything near the sub that could be rattling too? Maybe something next to it that has something on top that vibrates when there's heavy bass??

I agree with everyone else try tightening all the screws and try localizing where the rattling is coming from, inside/outside sub, near the sub or wherever.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• Johanas007
              • Jul 2005

Thanks for all the responses. It is definately not something located nearby. I will check the mounting screws and other connections at the sub and let you know how it works out. I have a sneeky suspicion that it may be bottoming out also. The dealer offered to allow me to take it back and swap for another model. Anyone have experience with the B&W ASW650, ASW675, ASW700, or ASW750? As always, thanks! This site is very helpful.

John

Comment

• Johanas007
                • Jul 2005

By the way Kevin. I hope you and all that great equipment you have are doing well in the wake of the storm.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

It was all there when we left after the storm. We were lucky and didn't have any major damage and could head to my sister's house in Birmingham..

Now if it will still be there when we return, I don't know. Luckily I get the dealer discount and insurance pays retail if it has been looted..

Thanks for the concern,

Kevin D.

Comment

• howburger
                    • Jul 2005

Check the spider

Check to see if the spider may have come unglued from the basket. This has happened to me and it rattled like crazy. Just glue it back down to the basket with quick set epoxy. Good luck!
                    Because I'm the man in black.........

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"